I bought some heavy gage strings, with the idea that they would help strengthen my fingurs.
But I noticed even when my guitar was in tune it didn't sound tuned.
Then after a bunch of wondering I noticed the action was little higher as well, so I looked down the neck, and sure enough, it was bowed.
Are you supposed to have like, a special type of guitar for heavier gage strings or what?
Just adjust the truss rod. Depending on how heavy your string guages are, you should get it adjusted if there is a large change to make the guitar sound as good and play as good as possible.

In all honesty, I woudln't find any use of getting larger strings to strenghten your fingers if you're going to switch back to smaller strings and then get used to them. Playing guitar isn't as much about force as it is endurance, all you have to do is get the string to the fret, not to the wood.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
What kind of guitar do you have?
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
sounds like you ****ed up man. how heavy a ****ing gauge did you put on for your neck to be bowed?
There's like 3 of these threads every day.. "I have da hevvy strings will my neck snap?!!!"

If you're making big jumps up in string gauges your truss rod will need adjusting to keep the action low. And your nut will probably need filing for bigger slots aswell to improve tuning stability.
^I don't even see the point in buying a gripper strengthener thingy. It's best to really work on technique to make sure that your just fretting hard enough to avoid fret buzz.

Unless you're going from like 10's to 15's you really won't notice that much of a difference in tone, if you want to buy a fuller toned set, skinny top heavy bottom is really the only way to go. I've moved on from 10-70 sets, now i'm using skinny strings. You can have a lower action and it's easier to play, which I find more usable than a thicker tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESA
Its mostly my pinky. I can't do much with it.
Obviously I know you only have to touch the fret. But I hate fret buzz, and if I can eliminate it with heavy strings, light strings won't be a problem.

TIM
A bottom of the line Ibanez.
Try doing pinkie and ring finger pulloff and hammer on exercises. If you set up a metronome and do those for a minute, take a break, go back a little faster for about 50 seconds, take a break and so on you won't have any trouble with pinkie strength.

The biggest problem with using your pinkie is at first it's much easier to just use the ring finger, so the pinkie is overlooked and not really used. Just use it more and you'll be on your way to great technique.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Bigger Strings = More Tension = Neck bending

Best case scenario is that every time you change something on the guitar you have a professional set it up specifically for what you changed. If it's serious, have a tech look it over and make necessary adjustments.

On the note of bigger strings, use them for tone not for strength.
Do you have a trem on your guitar threadstarter? If you have a floating bridge increasing the string tension will raise the height of the bridge as well. I've seen heavy gauge strings on a strat create a two way trem out of what was only supposed to go one way.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard