started as a kid and i got a accoustic for christmas but it was the wrong hand so i learned to play upsiedown, but never really got into the whole guitar parts until i started listening to Metal, and i started listening to Pantera among others, eventually i found Dimebag and when i heard he died, i instantly rushed in to get a Dean ML model just like his but left handed, (the right hand) and in black, when i had the money so i tribute everything i do in guitars to Dime, a great guitarist, but even better as a role model
Quote by ReaverNightwing
started as a kid and i got a accoustic for christmas but it was the wrong hand so i learned to play upsiedown, but never really got into the whole guitar parts until i started listening to Metal, and i started listening to Pantera among others, eventually i found Dimebag and when i heard he died, i instantly rushed in to get a Dean ML model just like his but left handed, (the right hand) and in black, when i had the money so i tribute everything i do in guitars to Dime, a great guitarist, but even better as a role model

I like how you tribute everything to Dime just because he's dead.

It's more about how you respect the person and what they do when they're alive than when they're dead.

I do see where you're coming from though.

Anywho, I got an old POS acoustic from my Grandma after my Grandpa died, and I just fiddled around on it for a while then I got in to the pop-punk thing (blink 182, Good Charlotte) and I thought that was the epitome of guitar playing. I then started listening to Van Halen on the recommendation of my Brothers. After that stage, I listened to and learned a lot of Metallica stuff. From that point on my musical tasted have expanded and gotten broader and broader, from light Jazz to Metal.

/life story

also, I think this was my 3000th POST!
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Aug 8, 2007,
When I found out that most kids my age quit. Seriously, music is a lifelong passion man, enjoy it. Who knows where you'll end up?

I also like to watch those guys who shred faster than bullets.
i wanted to start when i was 8 mum wouldnt let me because she said i would giv up started when i turned 12 but my main influences are buckethead joe satch and paul funny thing is i play mostly metal
I started listening to punk, than metal, and than when my older brother gave me a G3 DVD i said to myself "woa, i gotta learn how to do that!"
and than after like a year of metaling **** up, i than found the red hot chili peppers, and decided to take up their style of funk and rock combined, and here i am!
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

I sucked at everything else in life except masturbation, limited sexual positions, and drinking games. So I made myself good at something.
When I started taking guitar lessons my original teacher went on tour for a few months so I had a fill-in guitar teacher for that time and he was a student at Berklee back for summer. He was really good so I asked him to tell me about Berklee. He told me about it and all the things he was aspiring to do and how great it was so I made it my goal to go there. Fast forward two years. I worked hard, after he graduated I stopped going to the store and became one of his students he teaches out of his house. Then before my junior year in high school I did the one week guitar session at Berklee and had the most amazing time of my life. Applied senior year, auditioned, got in and now i'm waiting to go off in January.

Sort of working in my teacher's footsteps, but veering off onto a path of my own I want to strive to become a session guitarist, solo musician (a'la Vai, Satch), and i've always wanted to play guitar for the pit in Broadway musicals, I love playing musicals.

Thats what keeps me going and always trying to be better and better, those goals.

Having a big goal that you stick to with what you want to do with your playing is one of the most important things if you want to do this for life.
A while ago I got the DVD of Bon Jovi's 1995 Wembley show. At the end of the song 'Always' (which normally I'm not a fan of), they go into this extra extended ending that's not on the studio recording and that, to the best of my knowledge they've never done at any other shows since, including a second guitar solo that is quite simply the greatest solo I have ever heard, from anyone. I may well get murdered for that ("what about Hendrix, what about Slash, what about every solo in every Metallica song ever!?!?" etc etc, as is the usual on here), but it seriously, truly is the best solo I've ever heard. Looking into it, it turns out it really was a one-off, which Richie came up with pretty much off the top of his head (i.e. "I know, let's have a minute at the end where you just improvise an awesome solo and make everyone **** their pants").

Watching that instantly made me want to be a better guitarist. Before seeing that solo, playing guitar was just something I had a casual interest in - that solo though gave me a right good kick up the arse and made me change my attitude completely. I pretty much swore right after watching it for the first time, I'd never give up on guitar until I was able to play that solo myself (still haven't got there yet ). In fact I'd say it's pretty much my entire motivation for playing, and possibly the reason why I still play (I'm pretty sure I would have given up by now otherwise).

Ed: found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFPcMlNml0s
From the 4:43 mark onwards is the extended ending. Seriously, this solo = sex. If this doesn't make you want to pick up a LP and go crazy on it, nothing will.
Last edited by bokuho at Aug 8, 2007,
White Zombie's "la sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1"
Gear:
Dean FBD Left handed
Epiphone Goth V (flipped)
Dean Metalman V Bass (flipped)
1987 B.C. Rich warlock Left handed
2002 B.C. Rich Bronze warlock w/ widow HS
1984 Marshall JCM 800 50 Watt half stack.
All of my friends play instruments except me... They were either in my high school's marching band (we graduated this year) or in some random garage band playing drums, guitars, etc. I kinda started liking some stuff I hated before (metal, hard rock, etc), so I decided that I wanted to learn how to play this stuff. This was a year ago. This year, I was finally able to get an instrument (I remembered it because I was bored on this one hot summer day in July).
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
For me, it was an alternate picking excersise by Steve Morse. Never really heard of him beforehand, but i played it, and got it down, and it made just want to play better and better.

At the start of every show we perform, i play that excersise, just cause it sounds so good.
Gearz-

Grestch White Falcon

Red Witch Fuzz God II
Custom Audio Electronics Boost
EH Micro Synth
MXR Flanger
Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

Matamp King Street Classic head
Matamp 4x12 Angled Cab
I started when I was 6, I'm 13 now. I played chords for 6 and a half years, learning speed, but when we had to do a report in school on the 50's we had to choose a music guy. I foudn out about chuck berry, listened to his music, and the duckwalk, and it inspired to get really into. Ande I've never regretted it.
Gear for now:
Ibanez RG370DX
Line 6 Spider III 30
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by rocker138
Quote by frozen_soul
umm stank puss? im not a man of "blackspeak" if someone would care to elaborate lol

Her vajayjay don't smell okaykay
i played a bit of the living end, then i found avenged sevenfold. Synyster was my idol since i first heard him... then i eventually moved onto dimebag!
I guess I was first into the Green Day, blink-182 thing, and then I was into street punk (I'd prefer not to go there) and after I came out of that I got into bands like Avenged Sevenfold, BFMV etc. and Motley Crue, Maiden and G 'N R, so playing more complicated music definately made me want to get better, since I'd wasted so much time playing power chords.

But what really made me want to step it up and get a band was that my little brother has played about a year longer than me and was always a bit better and I wanted to out match him.

I decided to get a band together after some of my guitarist friends and I watched a really lame Hawthorne Heights video and decided we could do much better.
I was inspired first by classic rock bands such as AC/DC and Def Leppard and then got into Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads and all the other shredders and have never looked back! (I started when I was 14)
There seems to be alot of metal fans here.

I guess when a friend of mine played me some kooks on an acoustic in school i decided i wanted to play guitar. Since then Frusciante & Hendrix's playing really inspired me to play things that where too advanced for me.
I learnt Under the Bridge as my first song and it took months, but since then i havnt looked back. I had Un knowingly basically tought myself everything i needed to know as a basis to work from =]

That was last november.
To be honest I find Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and most shred guitarists incredibly boring. That Eric Johnson video (in another thread) looks just as boring as the one a mate of mine showed me

I think fast guitar riffs/solos can be interesting in a band, SikTh are probably the only really technical guitar band I listen to.

That has inspired me to learn Shredding and improve my Tapping, I can also Sweep Pick but I'm still a beginner at that.

Tool, Radiohead, Muse, Bloc Party, The Strokes and many others have inspired me to play guitar. They're not all great technically and when I hear a good riff I'm impressed but I'm not when I hear a 30 minute Eric Johnson guitar solo.
The thing that kicked me into overdrive was Paul Gilbert. I'm not really into shred at all and I don't play it much, but Paul Gilbert is freakin incredible.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There was this dude at school who was pretty good at guitar, better than I was. I wanted to outshred him, I eventually dueled him then won. Since then I really look up to John Petrucci and Michael Angelo Batio instead of trying to be better than everyone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
"Silvergun Superman" by Stone Temple Pilots.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
at first i listened to **** music but then i heard the rhcp and i loved them and i was like hey that would be so cool to do that and now i play guitar annd if i get discouraged i just listen to them
ED REED BABY
To the OP: I was inspired by the guy that inspired Paul Gilbert. Akira Takasaki. when i heard him play In The Mirror and Like Hell, i was pretty much thrown into the world of guitars and ive never looked back.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Quote by FunctionF2
For me, it was an alternate picking excersise by Steve Morse. Never really heard of him beforehand, but i played it, and got it down, and it made just want to play better and better.

At the start of every show we perform, i play that excersise, just cause it sounds so good.

Link?

What got me started? I don't know, but I've ALWAYS wanted to play. But recently, I've been heavily inspired by Vai's 10 Hour Workout. Great **** man.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Discovering the Dire Straits. Nay, discovering Mark Knopfler
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Probably realizing that I couldn't play my favourite songs, regardless of how easy an experienced player said they were. I decided that I wanted to shred out of the blue, and I'll stick to that, use my technique wisely and be as versatile as I can.
the whole Karate kid vs. steve vai vid. but my biggest influence is definitely Eric Clapton. He is my favorite musician and i love his music. it is incredible to me and makes me want to keep going so that maybe someday i can make music like that.
Fender MIM Standard lefty strat (midnight wine, sexy i know)
Vox DA15
Quote by rock.meet Slash
oh yes but do they have....THE PIT?

Quote by rickmeister
Stealing is cool again? Sweet, I'm gonna rob a Subway brb
I've been a decent guitarist, and felt I needed to step it up a notch if I wanted to get anywhere in bands. So I try to write a lot and learn songs by ear. Also, the simplicity of John Frusciante's solos inspired me; sometimes it's better to have a lot less notes and have an emotional feel than shreddin.
Quote by i'm a noob
is there a website with the location of dealers? i mean, i want to try weed for the first time, but none of my friends do it or anything, and i don't know where to get it. For safety purposes you might want to PM me.
I was inspired at an early age when I listened to cowboys from hell and Metallica... And then I was hooked until I discovered Death metal... From then on I have been a guitar freak... Everything I play I play with alot of heart... Its in my blood now

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean