Yes, I've used search, didn't come up with satisfying results.

I've finally narrowed it down to the type of tone that I'm looking for: Modern Metal. Now, what I mean by modern Metal is Metal along the likes of Symphony X's "The Oddyssey" and "Paradise Lost" (This album more than anything), Dream Theater's "Train of Thought", Testament's "First Strike Still Deadly", Anthrax's "The Greater of Two Evils", etc.

I used to like Thrash tones, but not anymore. I can't put in words how much I love a modern Metal tone.

BUDGET: $500 USD

What I'm looking at right now:

Randall RG75G3
Randall RG50TC
Roland Cube 30x

So far, the RG75 is winning as there's a decently priced one on eBay and the clips I've been hearing just sound awesome.

What I need:

A lineout jack (For headphones).
Reverb.
30+ watts.
Dual channel.

Going used IS an option. eBay is a possibility, my dad is currently hazy on eBay due to a string of events of stuff that went wrong, but an amp can't be damaged unless it's literally broken.

Tubes are an option, if and only if you suggest a fairly cheap and good attenuator.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Amp > guitar. The guitar wont sound any good if its played through a crappy amp.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
The RG50TC is tube though. However, "distortion" comes from the preamp, so if you want high gain distortion at low volumes, an amp like the RG50TC can do that.

Most tube amps don't have headphone jacks.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I would suggest a Peavey Valveking with a decent overdrive pedal. The problem is, I've heard that the quality of the Valveking's are dodgy...

Peavey Triple XXX's are good for modern metal, but you'll have to get a used Combo version of it to make it fit your price range.
^Any entry level budget amp has quality control problems though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

I just got the Randall RG50TC (£200!!), it seems pretty decent. I play lots of metal, stuff like slipknot, soad etc. and the amp handles it all fine. I would recommend it as a good metal amp really.
Quote by .arkness:.
Amp > guitar. The guitar wont sound any good if its played through a crappy amp.

Hence why he's getting a new amp, I think its obvious that he knows he needs a new amp to achieve goood tone.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570

I don't recall reading him asking for another guitar.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by gen0doom
I just got the Randall RG50TC (£200!!), it seems pretty decent. I play lots of metal, stuff like slipknot, soad etc. and the amp handles it all fine. I would recommend it as a good metal amp really.

Do you have a mic or something to record it to provide some clips of Gain 2?
Roland Micro Cube

where did he say ANYTHING about a new guitar
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
where did he say ANYTHING about a new guitar

I know, right? It's such a stupid post that I just left it alone.
Roland Micro Cube

I'm not sure exactly the cost but if you could find a used Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, then that would suit your need with a lot of ease, if i remember correctly they can normally be picked up for about $500 or so off like ebay or something.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I'm not sure exactly the cost but if you could find a used Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, then that would suit your need with a lot of ease, if i remember correctly they can normally be picked up for about $500 or so off like ebay or something.

What about the attenuator?

Tubes are an option, if and only if you suggest a fairly cheap and good attenuator.
Roland Micro Cube

bah people over play the cranked tube amp thing for gain. in reality it varies from to amp. amps like the 6505 are very pre amp based and dont have to be cranked to get their heavyness
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
bah people over play the cranked tube amp thing for gain. in reality it varies from to amp. amps like the 6505 are very pre amp based and dont have to be cranked to get their heavyness

Exactly.

Look for a used 5150 combo, Mesa F-30/F-50, Mesa DC-3/DC-5. Those will be pretty cheap, for a tube amp, and will last you a lifetime, if you're content with its tone that long.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've got an RG50TC and i play a ****in warlock bronze series through it (i plan on gettin a new guitar soon just saving up) and it sounds damn decent, i payed £250 for mineat dolphin music, which is around $500. I wrote the review for it i believe its the only one, take a look at it if your interested. I dont beleive you can get a peavey 5150/6505 for anything less than £600/$1200 I looked so much for so long for a decent priced one on ebay and the like, i just can't see it possible getting one for that price.
oh yer and i forgot to add the clean distorts quite easily so i'd suggest getting a cheap acoustic modeling pedal of some sort.
Quote by axe_thrasher
I've got an RG50TC and i play a ****in warlock bronze series through it (i plan on gettin a new guitar soon just saving up) and it sounds damn decent, i payed £250 for mineat dolphin music, which is around $500. I wrote the review for it i believe its the only one, take a look at it if your interested. I dont beleive you can get a peavey 5150/6505 for anything less than £600/$1200 I looked so much for so long for a decent priced one on ebay and the like, i just can't see it possible getting one for that price.

As I asked before to the other guy with a the 50TC,

Do you have a mic or something to record it to provide some clips of Gain 2?
Roland Micro Cube

Quote by mexican_shred

AMEN!

Metal amps have gain all across the board. It's the vintage style tube amps where you have to really crank them to get some gain.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You can nail the "Greater of Two Evils" tone by daisy-chaining a dozen or so metal zones together with the dist and level all the way up and running them into the cheapest 1980s Crate SS practice amp.

For the tones your looking for a bigger budget might be needed. But for your current $ I think the Roland would be the best bet. I own a 5150 and for the tones your looking for its not for you.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
You can nail the "Greater of Two Evils" tone by daisy-chaining a dozen or so metal zones together with the dist and level all the way up and running them into the cheapest 1980s Crate SS practice amp.

For the tones your looking for a bigger budget might be needed. But for your current $ I think the Roland would be the best bet. I own a 5150 and for the tones your looking for its not for you.

What's wrong with the two Randalls though?
Roland Micro Cube

I love the old Anthrax tone. One of my faves. The new stuff is just...well..it sounds like static or distorting blown speakers when palm muted.. IDK it just cant stand it. However, Among the living has one of my favorite rythem tones of all time.

As for the two Randalls. I find Randalls, especially the lower number RGs to be very thin and ice Picky. Hard on the ears IMO
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Actually on my rg50tc i usually have the bass turned all the way down (thats how i like it) and the distortion is still as thick as pig ****, it is DEFINETELY not thin.
Quote by gen0doom

So your the dude that bought it from Andertons. Good buy man.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum

More like $800.

I vote....
B-52 AT100 combo?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
More like $800.

I vote....
B-52 AT100 combo?

nope. My friend scored a 6505 halfstack for 500 on ebay and another friend scored the same deal on craigslist for 500
Well ****. I'm in a dilemma right now.

After further analysis, the RG75G3 is the right amp for the situation I'm in. My dad (Probably the most non-musical person in my family) is solid state elitist (He hasn't heard a solid-state or a tube side by side, I have) and won't let me go all-tube. He thinks digital > analog, in EVERYTHING. Solid states are getting really close to replicating tube sound, but they're lacking the warmth that tubes provide. That's because the sound is being calculated through the SS's transistors. Both of us have been uber geeks for the majority of our lives.

I want at least A tube. The G3 seems to satisfy me and his elitism, as well as provide that modern sound I'm looking for.

However, a Cube 30 just popped up for $170, and if I show my dad that, he'll push for that over everything thing, because he thinks I still don't know how to play (Probably one of his stupidest comments he ever made).
Roland Micro Cube

just tell him he doesnt know about music and tone?