basically, when im playing my guitar (PRS Tremonti SE), the strings go out of tune.. sometimes when im not even playing roughly [meaning lots of bending/hitting the strings]. my first guess was that the strings were just old, but ive replaced the strings multiple times since, and the problem persists. my other guess is that the guage of strings im using is too much for the guitar (.10's with heavy bottoms)... does this sound plausible? if so, would it just be a matter of adjusting the truss rod, or should i just go back to regular .10's, or even .09's?
Do you stretch out your strings properly?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
how long did u keep the new strings on because they can keep stretching for weeks some times and the first set could have just been old
you might have to make adjustments to the bridge, actually. Chaging gauges can sometimes f**k with you're head if it's you're first time.
well im wondering because ive been using this gauge of strings for over a year now, and the problem has only just come up. also, as for stretching my strings.. whenever i put strings on my guitar, i stretch them until i can play without them going out of tune. itll be fine for a day or two, but then the problem starts up. its very strange, and im starting to wonder if its just me, hahaha....

basically:

- ive been using this gauge of strings for over a year (with no problems thus far).
- i stretch (pull on) the strings every time i restring my guitar (until they stay in tune).

Quote by .arkness:.
Do you stretch out your strings properly?

im not quite sure what you mean by that?
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Aug 8, 2007,
Maybe your machine heads are getting old and crapping out on you. from what I've heard that seems to be the problem. Perhaps investing in some good tuners will be helpful.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I don't know if you have one with a tremolo, but replacing the tuners with locking tuners on Korean PRSs is very popular.
nah, i dont have a trem. the problem sounds like something i probably dont know how to fix (rather spend money having someone else do it than screw my guitar)... thanks everyone. ill get it checked out soon