My friend asked me a question and I still can't get it. I thought I'd ask you guys, so maybe your minds would start working. Haha. Ok, here it is...

You're a prisoner that has been given a chance to escape. There are two doors with a guard each. One guard only tells the truth. One only tells lies. You're only allowed to ask one question. What question would get you the hell out of prison?

I seriously don't know the answer so maybe someone here could tell me.

Ready.......... Set.............. GO!
simply ask what would the other guard say and go the other way

pepsi

EDIT: if that confuses you, allow me to explain

if asked to the guy that says lies, you will have asked him what the truth guy would say, so he would lie and point to the wrong way.

If you asked the guy that says the truthe, tou will have asked him what the guy that tells lies would say, and he would point to the wrong way.

solved!

HOWEVER! If neither guard knew that the other one only told lies or only told the truth, then you sir, are screwed and have two people that will contradict themselves if you asked the question as they would contradict themselves as they do not know the answer the other guy would give. Although, they could just answer as "I do not know", then you would be right screwed.
Last edited by pepsi_lovr at Aug 8, 2007,
:s

If there are only two doors....then simply ask the liar wether the door behind is the way out. If he says yes, go through the other door, if he says no, go through that door.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!

If there are only two doors....then simply ask the liar wether the door behind is the way out. If he says yes, go through the other door, if he says no, go through that door.

I think it is that you don't know which one tells the truth or which one tells the lies.
Just an assumption or it would be a relatively easy riddle as you would just go to the one that tells the truth.

pepsi
Quote by meh!

true but how would you know which is the liar?
cant you ask "do you lie?" cause the truth guy would say no but the lieing guy couldnt answer that without contradicting himself. i think. im not sure.

Edit: Never mind, this would only find the lier not the way out. and wow, UG is fast.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Ask the one that lies, "Can I leave?" He would have to answer Yes
Quote by LinkManDX
That's it, everybody go home, thread won by [sam].
i think it was in Labyrinth, but i'm not sure.
Founder of the Cereal Star Avatar Club
Quote by Its_Rock77
cant you ask "do you lie?" cause the truth guy would say no but the lieing guy couldnt answer that without contradicting himself. i think. im not sure.

Edit: Never mind, this would only find the lier not the way out. and wow, UG is fast.

If you read the question it says you only get one question. Way to find your own flaw

pepsi
Quote by pepsi_lovr
I think it is that you don't know which one tells the truth or which one tells the lies.
Just an assumption or it would be a relatively easy riddle as you would just go to the one that tells the truth.

pepsi

Yeah, I cant read, i'ts too early :p
climb out the window...
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by meh!
Yeah, I cant read, i'ts too early :p

Holy crap!!! MEH QUOTED ME!!! what an honour *cry* (I'm not kidding, this guy is a legend to me)

pepsi
so after you ask a question cant you just walk through the door? whats stopping you from just walking past? for this to be possible the guards would have to let you through right?

i hope i win. probly not. i tried....

Quote by Its_Rock77
so after you ask a question cant you just walk through the door? whats stopping you from just walking past? for this to be possible the guards would have to let you through right?

i hope i win. probly not. i tried....

I believe the whole point in this question asking is to see which way is the right way, if you just guessed you may be caught by some other guards outside. It may be you have to sneak past these two guards in the first place, you just ask them this question to see which way you should be heading towards as, if the escape attempt fails, you will likely be guarded more heavily or something like that.

(yes I realize I am hanging out in this thread)

pepsi
Damn this is one of those paradox questions. Ask them this "Is this question true?" This will create said paradox, they will explode, and you can simply walk out.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Quote by x/taluha
i saw this one a movie

Labyrinth? With David Bowie?

That was a weird movie.

Mainly because David Bowie was in it.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Holy crap!!! MEH QUOTED ME!!! what an honour *cry* (I'm not kidding, this guy is a legend to me)

pepsi

Err, ok.

*Backs away slowly* :p
Quote by pepsi_lovr
I believe the whole point in this question asking is to see which way is the right way, if you just guessed you may be caught by some other guards outside. It may be you have to sneak past these two guards in the first place, you just ask them this question to see which way you should be heading towards as, if the escape attempt fails, you will likely be guarded more heavily or something like that.

(yes I realize I am hanging out in this thread)

pepsi

wow, youve got this whole thing figured out dont you?

oh, and sorry but i hate pepsi. dr pepper owns.

Quote by meh!
Err, ok.

*Backs away slowly* :p

haha, sry I just see you around so much. I guess I did kind of overdo that eh *wink wink nudge nudge* to far? I guess 90% of sexual assaults come after the winking and nudging right??? RIGHT?!?!?! (yes, I pulled that number out of my ass)

pepsi
Quote by Its_Rock77
wow, youve got this whole thing figured out dont you?

oh, and sorry but i hate pepsi. dr pepper owns.

:O ...:O ... ... ...

dr pepper is a doctor and has to fix pepsi :P Pepsi is the uber warrior that has to take coke on (even though coke owns pepsi...)

pepsi
Try the first door. If it won't open, try the other.

*Waits for G.W. Bush clip trying to open door*
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
haha, sry I just see you around so much. I guess I did kind of overdo that eh *wink wink nudge nudge* to far? I guess 90% of sexual assaults come after the winking and nudging right??? RIGHT?!?!?! (yes, I pulled that number out of my ass)

pepsi

Don't worry, I feel safe. Distance ftw
Quote by meh!
Don't worry, I feel safe. Distance ftw

Oh, but the world is such a small place. I could fly to your particular location, and I'm sure there is a pic of you somewhere on this here website. Try to sleep tonight now :P

pepsi
Quote by pepsi_lovr
simply ask what would the other guard say and go the other way

pepsi

EDIT: if that confuses you, allow me to explain

if asked to the guy that says lies, you will have asked him what the truth guy would say, so he would lie and point to the wrong way.

If you asked the guy that says the truthe, tou will have asked him what the guy that tells lies would say, and he would point to the wrong way.

solved!

HOWEVER! If neither guard knew that the other one only told lies or only told the truth, then you sir, are screwed and have two people that will contradict themselves if you asked the question as they would contradict themselves as they do not know the answer the other guy would give. Although, they could just answer as "I do not know", then you would be right screwed.

Thats the right answer just ask either one what would the other gaurd say and go the opposite way
Quote by Seamus O'shanty
Thats the right answer just ask either one what would the other gaurd say and go the opposite way

yes... thank you for repeating what I said... in the thing you quoted. 4 and a half gold stars for you! (school of rock refrence *cough*)

pepsi
Yeah, I think Pepsi's got the right answer. It makes sense. And yeah, this question was in the Labyrinth(the one with David Bowie). Thanks for the help.

P.S. I was actually expecting a "Rub Icy Hot on the door." I don't even know what the hell that is.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Oh, but the world is such a small place. I could fly to your particular location, and I'm sure there is a pic of you somewhere on this here website. Try to sleep tonight now :P

pepsi

But he's bigger than you, he can beat you up
Quote by JustZeroes
But he's bigger than you, he can beat you up

How could you POSSIBLY know that? Also, what if I shot him in both his arms, then proceeded to tie him up with some other people...

just a possibility

pepsi
Quote by pepsi_lovr
How could you POSSIBLY know that? Also, what if I shot him in both his arms, then proceeded to tie him up with some other people...

just a possibility

pepsi

cuzzzzz