Page 1 of 7
This is a little project I'm putting together. Basically what I'm doing is turning a Squier Duo-Sonic into a Fender Mustang, a replica of Kurt Cobain's Fender Mustang!
I should have pictures up soon, so please be patient.

This is what it should look like when complete...
Last edited by Zex. at Apr 1, 2008,
I though duo-sonics were 22.5 scale? Unless its a duosonic II
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by LoveBuzz87
I though duo-sonics were 22.5 scale? Unless its a duosonic II

Who's to say I'm using a Duo-Sonic neck? When I'm done with this the only Squier part about it will be it's body, which I sanded down and began to paint already.
Quote by Zex.
Who's to say I'm using a Duo-Sonic neck? When I'm done with this the only Squier part about it will be it's body, which I sanded down and began to paint already.

oh yeah 24" and 22.5" are interchangeable. Did the pickgaurd align correctly?
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
So did you just buy a Mustang neck for it? Change the bridge too?
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Cobain had a Tune-O-Matic bridge which is for Gibson/Epiphone style, on a Mustang Tailpiece, which I have both of. And I'm still looking into the neck. If worst comes to worse, I'll just borrow the neck off My Fender Strat for awhile until I find one for a Mustang... Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!
Sound good but a 25.5 strat neck won't intonate correctly.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Sounds cool mate. I was thinking of doing it too, but with a squier cyclone. It probably would have looked okay, i just wasnt impressed too much when i did a photoshop of it.
^Yeah but you would have to keep the 24.75" neck. The pickguard won't align on the cyclone like it will on a duo sonic.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
You cannot change the scale lenth of a guitar unless its a 22.5" to a 24" or vise versa. You can buy warmoth conversion necks for a strat to go from 25.5 to 24.75. thats it.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
The short scale neck from the Duo-Sonic has I think 20 frets, when my strats has 22...
Quote by LoveBuzz87
You cannot change the scale lenth of a guitar unless its a 22.5" to a 24" or vise versa. You can buy warmoth conversion necks for a strat to go from 25.5 to 24.75. thats it.

You can move the bridge to fix the scale. I saw someone do that recently on a Squier '51.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Some pictures of the Jagstang Fender built custom for Kurt at the Fender Museum in Corona:

All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
That's awesome man, but not really the one I'm building. I heard about that exhibit on some website... Something about how they were just sending the Fiesta Red Jagstang out just as they discovered he had died.
Meh, the JagStang is just marketing.

Check out the Ferrington Guitar.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by zeroyon
You can move the bridge to fix the scale. I saw someone do that recently on a Squier '51.

Yeah but I was talking about interchanging necks.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Yeah, I don't really wanna get into moving the bridge and what not, that would be alot of wood to fill...
Quote by Rum Monkey
Yeah its awsome.

Heres the only pic i could find of it though

http://home.zonnet.nl/huibie/gitaren.JPG

has a lot of info.

It wouldn't be hard to build, to be honest. The only custom/unique parts would be the neck inlays.

The JagStang is a crock of marketing ****.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
So Jagstangs are no good, huh? I was thinking about buying one for Christmas, either that or an old Univox HiFlyer.
i played the eastwood version, its set neck, but its still a good guitar
Quote by Zex.
So Jagstangs are no good, huh? I was thinking about buying one for Christmas, either that or an old Univox HiFlyer.

Someone likes Kurt Cobain
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by LoveBuzz87
Someone likes Kurt Cobain

a little toooo much imo

TS, its Cobain

nothing against your project, but kurt did those modifications to his mustang because of certain "weaknesses" the mustang had without them
now youre just doing it to copy him....think about it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I believe everyone should have their own style, trying to be someone is just stupid to me. Sure I like nirvana, see my username, but I never went to the extremity of making my guitars to his specifications.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by LoveBuzz87
I believe everyone should have their own style, trying to be someone is just stupid to me. Sure I like nirvana, see my username, but I never went to the extremity of making my guitars to his specifications.

I'm not trying to be him, I'm just trying to get his sound, which is one I love. And I must say I absoloutley love Mustangs, as I have even before I knew of Nirvana... Just a project I'm doing, so just lay off a little, please. And someone above me corrected "Kobain", surprised you could notice that every other C in the sentence is a K...
All you need to get his sound is a Boss DS-2 and Small Clone. All you need are effects and amps to get his sound. You could use any guitar, hell you could use a Les Paul.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by LoveBuzz87
All you need to get his sound is a Boss DS-2 and Small Clone. All you need are effects and amps to get his sound. You could use any guitar, hell you could use a Les Paul.

I hate the **** out of Gibsons/Epiphones, just something about em, lol... I admit, and I'm not gonna lie that I'm a fan of Nirvana, but I shouldn't get made fun of for liking Cobain's choice in guitars, etc.
Your getting made fun of for not being origional and trying to be Kurt Jr. No one cares if you like Mustangs or not, I even like Mustangs. But trying to get his sound and making your guitars to be set up like his is dumb to me.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
yes. 24/22.5 scale length are interchangeable (its tougher to intonate a different scale but owell)
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
Quote by LoveBuzz87
Your getting made fun of for not being origional and trying to be Kurt Jr. No one cares if you like Mustangs or not, I even like Mustangs. But trying to get his sound and making your guitars to be set up like his is dumb to me.

In no way am I trying to be Kurt Jr man, take a pill...
Does that mean owners of that Hendrix V are Jimi Jr?
Does that mean that owners of the Clapton Strat are Clapton Jr?
See what I'm getting at.
If you think this project is dumb, then don't view it, it's as simple as that...
Thank you.
I never said buying someones signature guitar is dumb, I said buying all the guitars he liked is dumb. You want a Mustang,Univox, and a Jag-stang. All of witch popularized by none other than Cobain. You also want his sound? People who boaght The Hendrix V problably dont have a 1960's plexi. Like a person said before me Kurt Cobain did these mods to his mustangs to make them play to his specifications not to yours.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Quote by LoveBuzz87
I never said buying someones signature guitar is dumb, I said buying all the guitars he liked is dumb. You want a Mustang,Univox, and a Jag-stang. All of witch popularized by none other than Cobain. You also want his sound? People who boaght The Hendrix V problably dont have a 1960's plexi. Like a person said before me Kurt Cobain did these mods to his mustangs to make them play to his specifications not to yours.

No, I said I was gonna buy one of the three. Can we just stop this debate, really... Please just stop, if you want to conrtibute to the project with a useful comment that's a whole other story.