Page 1 of 81
faqu
Potato Chips rule!
1,948 IQ
Yes, I say they belong in metal, and that's that.

Discuss one of the greatest bands of all time.

Still to this day, after I listen to the early albums, I get chills down my spine from almost every song. simply incredible music. flawless.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
yam
427 IQ
there one of the few heavier bands that have catchy songs like dead end.
Makkis
47 IQ
Quote by megaderrick
Excellent!

Jester Race/B-A Inheritance = pure glory

Agreed.
Honkers
Make Music Not Meth
483 IQ
They really are amazing.
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
megaderrick
265 IQ
Recently I've really been getting into Lunar Strain/Subterranean. For some reason I used to pay less attention to it, but Lunar has some awesome **** on it, and I love the folky melodic stuff they use. Less catchy but more rewarding.
Seth Shadows
G|-18b19-~~[18]pb19~~~\
6,719 IQ
Whoracle FTW!.

Faqu = The Sex <3
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
freedoms_stain
276 IQ
They're actually probably my favourite band.

I like the new stuff and the old stuff the same.
Slanderous
Banned
22 IQ
Quote by faqu
Yes, I say they belong in metal, and that's that.

Discuss one of the greatest bands of all time.

Still to this day, after I listen to the early albums, I get chills down my spine from almost every song. simply incredible music. flawless.

Haha yes, most of their songs from Clayman and below give me goosebumps, then there are a few alright songs on Reroute to Remain, and STYE, but I don't see why everyone hate Come Clarity, It's one of their best IMO, but whatever, they;re one of my favorite bands, and they rule.
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
The Jester Race is a f'ing masterpiece
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

megaderrick
265 IQ
I remember back in '04 or something, I had all of In Flames' albums through Clayman and I loved them all. I bought Reroute to Remain and, having read nothing about it, was pretty pumped. Then I listened to song after song and was like, uuuuuhhhh...?, but eventually I managed to tolerate it. Then STYE came out and I bought it the day of, and was disappointed even more. A lot more, actually. So I bought Come Clarity with low expectations and actually found it to be an enjoyable album, but nothing masterful or glorious like the old days. I know others have different opinions, this is just my experience.
My order:
Jester Race/Black-Ash Inheritance
Whoracle
Lunar Strain/Subterranean
Clayman
Colony
Come Clarity
Reroute to Remain
Soundtrack to Your Escape

Their live album is pretty good but I don't like the tone of the guitars so much. Dark Tranquillity's live one is way better.
Honkers
Make Music Not Meth
483 IQ
Tbh the first i heard of them was Soundtrack to your escape... I was kinda dissapointed but then i got all thier earlier stuff and I was awakened to the amazingness that was in flames.
"If its the audience whos a bit lagging we just kick em in the nuts till they wake up!"
Bruce Dickinson-Iron Maiden

My Gear:
RG 2? (its white with EMG's)
Crate GT220, 120 watts of absolute awesome!
Necrolust
My username is stupid
6,264 IQ
Seriously ?......

Alright, lunar strain is not bad.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
zakatak9389
Deviate from the form
4,100 IQ
cool, there's finally one here . I love In Flames. The first stuff I got was off of come clarity, and I just though, what's the big deal about these guys. then I discovered Colony and The Jester Race and I was like . They've been one of my favorite bands ever since, and my favorite song has to be December Flower. In flames rule !
megaderrick
265 IQ
I don't think I have a single favorite song. "Wayfarer," "Artifacts of the Black Rain," "Jotun," "Moonshield," "Goliaths Disarm Their Davids," "Dreamscape," "Jester Script Transfigured".... ****, I don't know. Too many.
arc41190
Valhall Awaits me!!
333 IQ
I have Clayman and Colony, and they are very good albums. I like In Flames.
Cuebone in the Pokemon fan club. PM calebrocker to join.

Honorary Masshole PM SOADFanSince'98 to join.
zakatak9389
Deviate from the form
4,100 IQ
Quote by megaderrick
I don't think I have a single favorite song. "Wayfarer," "Artifacts of the Black Rain," "Jotun," "Moonshield," "Goliaths Disarm Their Davids," "Dreamscape," "Jester Script Transfigured".... ****, I don't know. Too many.

yeah, nearly everything off of the Jester Race is gold, but I just really love that solo, even though I think the guy from dark tranquillity did it, although I'm not sure.
megaderrick
265 IQ
Quote by zakatak9389
yeah, nearly everything off of the Jester Race is gold, but I just really love that solo, even though I think the guy from dark tranquillity did it, although I'm not sure.

Nah, it may have been Ljungstrom but he never played for DT. In Flames hasn't had a guitarist from DT, only a singer (Stanne) and drummer (Jivarp). And Friden used to sing for them, before essentially switching places with Stanne.

EDIT: yeah, you guys are right it is Johansson playing lead for that song.
Last edited by megaderrick at Aug 8, 2007,
jester ed
57 IQ
I believe some guy named Fredrik Johansson did the solo on December Flower.
Makkis
47 IQ
Fredrik Johansson was a member of Dark Tranquillity on a couple of their earlier albums, but I have no idea about the solo for In Flames.

Edit: My Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance CD says Fredrik Johansson did the solo on December flower so there you go.
Last edited by Makkis at Aug 8, 2007,
mike130
UG Newbie
246 IQ
About time.

Colony is my favorite CD.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

megaderrick
265 IQ
Very odd. And my media player has Niklas Sundin (DT's lead guitarist) as one of the composers for the song. Must've been a considerable level of cooperation between the two bands.

EDIT: this is in reference to the "December Flower" discussion.
System4321
Deadwood
531 IQ
Great band. Love everything they've done. I presonally got into them when STYE came out. I love that album its great. Everything else is great too. I love Come Clarity as an album. They're slowly bringing back the good stuff. But as I said in another thread, change is good. If bands don't evolve musically it would get boring
monkey of doom
Cheesecake
239 IQ
The mixing is horrible on TJR. Who ever did it deserves to die in a fire. The distortion sounds really bad. I mean, you got moonshield, which has an amazingly beautiful intro. It builds up into the crappiest and thin overdriven guitar sound ever. The music is brilliant but damn, the guitar tone is horrible. Luckily, they fixed it on the next album after that.

Jotun is a great song. Its got great melody. I just bought come clarity and its a bit meh. Some good songs, most bad. Got Clayman a coming in the post soon, hopefully.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
megaderrick
265 IQ
It could be better, but it doesn't stop me from hearing the glory of the songs. Best In Flames album overall, song after song is A+.
GhostofSanity
Banned
10 IQ
Once a great band, turned to complete rubbish after Clayman. =( Annoying vocals and poor guitar work kills it for me.
toweringdeath
588 IQ
Very good band but kinda lost their pure gothenburg sound over time but F*ck there still awesome none the less... Love the jester race and colony the most..
“English is the language this article is written in.”
~Captain Obvious On English
loonyguitarist
howdybums
654 IQ
Quote by monkey of doom
The mixing is horrible on TJR. Who ever did it deserves to die in a fire. The distortion sounds really bad. I mean, you got moonshield, which has an amazingly beautiful intro. It builds up into the crappiest and thin overdriven guitar sound ever. The music is brilliant but damn, the guitar tone is horrible. Luckily, they fixed it on the next album after that.

Jotun is a great song. Its got great melody. I just bought come clarity and its a bit meh. Some good songs, most bad. Got Clayman a coming in the post soon, hopefully.

Noo! I really enjoy the whole of Moonshield's sound, wouldn't be the same if they changed it.

What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff.

Oh, and Faqu for bringing In Flames back.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
megaderrick
265 IQ
Quote by loonyguitarist

What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff.

Whoracle and Lunar Strain
Flamedmapletop
378 IQ
Ok I am the probabbly the biggest In Flames Guru on this site so I am going to tell you about the song december flower. Fredrik johanson who played with DT in their very early career plays the lead guitar on december flower. Jesper strömblad wrote the song and the lyrics were written by michael stanne, because Anders wasn't that good at english at the time. Fredrik johanson also used to play in jespers side project dimension zero. Fredrik was infact kicked from DT, I think it was because he showed to little comitment. I dont know what fredrik does today, dont think he is in any band atm. Any way even though he playes the lead guitar it was Jesper strömblad who wrote the master piece song and he deserves as much credit as Fredrik if not even more for that !
Flamedmapletop
378 IQ
And btw thanks for the In Flames thread. Lets just hope they dont screw up with the new album. All the others are great in their own way. I cant really say whats my favourite.
megaderrick
265 IQ
Interesting, thanks for the clarification.

In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and Hammerfall all have very intertwined pasts, and it makes for some interesting confusion when sorting it all out.
jester ed
57 IQ
Quote by Flamedmapletop
Jesper strömblad wrote the song and the lyrics were written by michael stanne, because Anders wasn't that good at english at the time.

Where do you get that from? As far as I know, Stanne wrote the lyrics on Lunar Strain, Henke Forss on Subteranean and Anders explained the concept to Whoracle and TJR then Nicklas Sundin wrote the lyrics. Anders didn't write lyrics by himself before Colony and that's when Sundin just translated them.

Bah, i know to much.

Not a big fan of their latest albums although I think they're decent and R2R being what got me into metal in the first place
mephistopheles1
hmmm
22 IQ
come clarity really doesn't compare to albums like whoracle and clayman...cant comment on Colony as i havnt heard it.
zakatak9389
Deviate from the form
4,100 IQ
Noo! I really enjoy the whole of Moonshield's sound, wouldn't be the same if they changed it.

What would you recommend for someone who enjoyed The Jester Race? I have their newer albums downloaded, enjoyable, but I want more of their old stuff. QUOTE]

Check out Colony. Some good songs are Zombie inc. (killer interlude/solo), Embody the invisible (great melodies and cool solo), and coerced coexistence (awesome solos). those are just my fav tracks from colony, I love that CD, and oh yeah, Man Made God, is an awesome instrumental as well
Kadavreski
131 IQ
i really don't like reroute / clarity / escape much - they each have a few pretty nice songs but it's lost on me

i really, really like whoracle / colony / lunar strain though, violin solos etc ftw!
megaderrick
265 IQ
Quote by zakatak9389

Check out Colony. Some good songs are Zombie inc. (killer interlude/solo), Embody the invisible (great melodies and cool solo), and coerced coexistence (awesome solos). those are just my fav tracks from colony, I love that CD, and oh yeah, Man Made God, is an awesome instrumental as well

Good choice for songs there. "Zombie Inc." is amazing, especially during the interlude/solo. I used to have "Man Made God" but I lost it when I got a new computer, goddammit.
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
Good band, I have Jester Race and every song on there kicks ass, especially the solos to artifacts of the black rain, december flower, and goliaths disarm their davids. I need to go buy Whoracle and Colony though. Ordinary Story and Jotun for the Win.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
megaderrick
265 IQ
^Don't forget Lunar Strain/Subterranean. Excellent as hell---"Dreamscape", "Dead Eternity" (old version), "The Inborn Lifeless"....
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
^ Yeah I need that one too, Mikael Stanne is one of my all-time favorite metal vocalist.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.