My friend wants to start the guitar (he's gonna take a course), as well as his younger brother and they're gonna get a guitar.

Can you suggest good guitars for beginners at a good price?

Consider also that you need an amp as well. It looks like he'll get a fender squier strat pack (which is what I got at first), with the 38W amp. Personally, I think it's not a bad guitar to start on, a good price and you get all the bits n pieces in the set. But when you get better you do realise it's not a great guitar lol. I was wondering what you guys think...

Also we talked about the amp nd I told him to go for the 15G rather than the 10G one (mine's a 15G - 38W). And he said you could also get a 15R with reverb. I told him about it but I couldn't say wether it was worth it becuase I've never tried one. Has anyone tried this and was it worth the extra money?
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Last edited by Parx at Aug 8, 2007,
i think its ok to start him off with a squier.....you dont wanna spend a lot of money on a guitar when they might just play for a week and give up ....right?
Ye exactly. But there are other cheap guitars. I mean apparently stratocasters are good for beginners...and you've also got the Epiphone SG.
Quote by mustardman
anything with strings is sufficient for the noobiest of noobs. but those strat packs give you VD
The Ibanez packs are good. And the Squiers come w/ 15 watt amps, not 38.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
^^ that's what the internet says. On the front the amp says 15G but on the back - clearly 38W. The 15G is a spec code to distinguish between 15R which is the reverb one.
Quote by mustardman
They are 15 watts, trust me.

# Fender Frontman™ 15G
# Type: Solid State
# Output: 15 watts into 8 ohms
# Ohms: 8 ohms
# Speakers: 1-8" Fender Special Design Speaker, p/n 0025421000
# Channels: Dual Selectable Channels (Normal and Drive)
# 3-Band EQ
# Headphone Jack
# Auxilliary Input for CD, Tape or Drum Machine
# Closed Back
# Blackface Styling with Silver Grille Cloth
# Controls: Volume Normal Channel, Gain, Drive Select Switch, Volume Drive Channel, Treble, Mid, Bass
# Covering: Black Textured Vinyl with Silver Grille Cloth
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
You got that off the internet rite?
Quote by mustardman
straight from Musicians Friend.

EDIT: Not to mention, I have played one, and have one sitting 10 feet away from me..
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Then why does mine say on the back:
Frontman 15G
230V~50Hz
38W
Quote by mustardman
yeah Im pretty sure thats the max the speaker can handle.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Quote by ibanez_rocker
The Ibanez packs are good. And the Squiers come w/ 15 watt amps, not 38.

And if you get lucky like I did with my first guitar, you can find one that comes with the amp, stand, extra strings, picks, strap, gig bag, and cables for $50
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
I dunno if anyone mentioned the ibanez pack yet. I bought that for my stepbrother when he started playing and the amp sucked, but the guitar is much better than a squire. I think its a little more expensive but i would highly recommend getting it.
^^ ok sorri I just looked it up. I found a pdf the manual (for this amp) and the 38W is the input and 15 is the output. They could have put that on the amp.
Quote by mustardman
Get one of those first act player packs at wal mart. They're like 120 bucks.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by owen5649
What ****ing company would make a 38 watt amp?

One that makes lightbulbs

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by Napalmdeth
I dunno if anyone mentioned the ibanez pack yet. I bought that for my stepbrother when he started playing and the amp sucked, but the guitar is much better than a squire. I think its a little more expensive but i would highly recommend getting it.

Is that the Ibanez Jumpstart?

COuld you send me a link of good ones

Also Can you choose between amps, cos you need one with a variable overdrive (my freind has just on/off overdrive and its awful).
Quote by mustardman
to vary the overdrive vary the input/output volumes.

i've heard great things about the pacifica, and they've just released a new model.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Input volume?
Quote by mustardman