Was thinking about picking up the bass to supplement my guitar playing and give me experience in an instrument not wielded by so many musicians you can walk into a forest and pick them off a tree.

So, um, I'm also pretty broke, and acoustic basses seem on a whole much cheaper then their electric brethren. Would it be worth my time to grab one to practice on and see if bass is right for me? Anyone own one and like it? Do I need an amp?
Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give you advice, but acoustic bass guitars 95% of the time are really, trully horribly made. They have extremely low volume, the strings volume are extremely unbalanced, and the bass simply doesn't project. If you get an acoustic bass guitar as your first, you'll probably hate bass.

Yes, you can typically amplify it, but IMO if you're going to do that, you should get an electric. The tone on an electric (if set up right) is perfect for acoustic music. No, a guitar amp won't do.

The only bass worth owning that mortals can afford is the Tacoma Thundercheif. It's perfect. There are basses more expensive (read: Breedlove) that are garbage. The basses competing with the Thundercheif are perhaps Martins and Taylors, costing, oh, 5 times as much.

[/THEFITZ]

EDIT: And if you call me biased, I've owned 2 acoustic bass guitars. One I currently own and is a 7-string fretless. It's a bit of a toy, yeah?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 8, 2007,
Really dude? Cause like, I don't need uper awesome tone, I just need something I can play to get the feel of bass without putting a big dent in my wallet. I got 200$ to spend, like, tops.

Lol to be honest it sounds like an acoustic bass raped and killed someone close to you, the way you speak of them with such vile hatred.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Really dude? Cause like, I don't need uper awesome tone, I just need something I can play to get the feel of bass without putting a big dent in my wallet. I got 200$ to spend, like, tops.

Lol to be honest it sounds like an acoustic bass raped and killed someone close to you, the way you speak of them with such vile hatred.

Well, I do have some extremely high standards for gear. I'm not sure if I can word this properly, but you're getting more bass for your money if you buy an electric over an acoustic. Your $200 acoustic will be a piece of crap, and it'll sound like it. Sure, there are cheap acoustic basses that don't have uber-awesome tone (like all of them), but when another guitar is playing, forget it. You won't be heard. But hey, if you trully are wanting to get into bass, you just might want to get familiar with that concept...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
On Saturday, I bought a Dean Playmate Acoustic Bass. Yes it is true that it doesn’t have the best quality, but is that really the point? I bought it because I wanted to be able to travel without carrying my cabinet along. The D and G strings start to sound like an acoustic guitar after the 5th fret, but I am quite happy just to have something to take absolutely anywhere. So the moral of the story? Accessibility not "qualibility".
Quote by metalbassist12
On Saturday, I bought a Dean Playmate Acoustic Bass. Yes it is true that it doesn’t have the best quality, but is that really the point? I bought it because I wanted to be able to travel without carrying my cabinet along. The D and G strings start to sound like an acoustic guitar after the 5th fret, but I am quite happy just to have something to take absolutely anywhere. So the moral of the story? Accessibility not "qualibility".

That was the bass I was looking at actually. Is it playable atleast?
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Any suggestions for a cheap electric then?

My fretless 7-string plays just as well and is just as loud as a $600 Michael Kelly. Go on eBay. The company is called Tennessee (and let me assure you that the people who actualy make the bass are nowhere near Tennessee), and the seller is Tropicalmoonmusic. They have all sorts of strange and freakish instruments, so you can get almost any flavour of ABG you want.

Also, most of their auctions are Buy It Now, but things go for real cheap when they let items go for auction. I bought my 7-string for $107.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
you can get some pretty good acoustics off your wall. just make the tip of the bass touch the wall, and play away! acoustics in its purest form.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by NorseGodofRock
WTF. An electric dual banjo/fretless bass... Who could possibly ever use such a thing?

They also have dual 8/10 string basses. Basically, an 8string, and then another 8-string with a low B. But their acoustics are decent.

Also, like the guy said, using your wall as an amp works.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by SathiaSun
you can get some pretty good acoustics off your wall. just make the tip of the bass touch the wall, and play away! acoustics in its purest form.

I got really high the one time last year and accidentally played my unplugged electric on my big round wooden table, and was utterly fascinated with how cool it sounded. I ran around the house trying the acoustics of different objects for like an hour...
I have an acoustic, it's well made and sounds good, but the body is huge, and awkward to play with, get an electric.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
In a an interview I read Jonas Hellborg said that the best acoustic basses are those which look like the bridge might snap off, because this means it has a thin top and therefore absorbs less of the vibrations and resonates better.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I got really high the one time last year and accidentally played my unplugged electric on my big round wooden table, and was utterly fascinated with how cool it sounded. I ran around the house trying the acoustics of different objects for like an hour...

I did the same thing. (minus the weed) great minds think alike.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Quote by sinan90
In a an interview I read Jonas Hellborg said that the best acoustic basses are those which look like the bridge might snap off, because this means it has a thin top and therefore absorbs less of the vibrations and resonates better.

My first one did indeed have that, but the bridge was warping the top like hell, making the action so high it was near impossible to play (if you recall my "ghetto upright").
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by sinan90

I had an acoustic bass like that once, i never really liked it, and the one time i did play it, the bridge did, in fact, in all of its irony, did snap off. after that day, i never touched a bass again. i don't like bass, and the bass doesn't like me.
Quote by Lil Macker

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Quote by NorseGodofRock
Was thinking about picking up the bass to supplement my guitar playing and give me experience in an instrument not wielded by so many musicians you can walk into a forest and pick them off a tree.
So, um, I'm also pretty broke, and acoustic basses seem on a whole much cheaper then their electric brethren. Would it be worth my time to grab one to practice on and see if bass is right for me? Anyone own one and like it? Do I need an amp?

You'll be even more broke if you buy an Accoustic Bass, they sound like a detuned accoustic guitar, regarding being a whole lot cheaper, I'd rather have a Mexican Fender or even a Squier.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
well if you have 200 dollars, why not just get a beginner elec. bass? you can find a decent one for aorund 200
Quote by NorseGodofRock

hahaha sigged