They're kind of like wah pedals but in the heel position there's no volume and in the toe position it's full volume and if you rock on it you get this kind of swell effect.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
They're kind of like wah pedals but in the heel position there's no volume and in the toe position it's full volume and if you rock on it you get this kind of swell effect.

Sounds pretty awesome, I have to try one out
I have a digitech rp250. the expression pedal acts as a volume pedal when the wah effect isn't on.

its basically what everybody else said it is. it controls the volume like your volume knob, except with your feet.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Just like a volume knob, which is a potentiometer acting as a variable resistor in the signal path, a volume pedal is simply an external version of the same thing. Just a potentiometer acting as a variable resistor, but controlled with your foot. What else is that you can not only place a volume pedal direct the guitar path to the amp, but with a serial effects loop you can place it after the preamp to obtain different tones.
Do they still make those things called 'auto-volume' pedals? See I kinda dig the idea of sometimes having the pedal automatically make swells from every note I play, rather than having to stamp on it each time (let alone use my pinky to twiddle the guitar's own knob!)
say if im playing chords or guitar parts where i want it a little quieter than say solos, will a volume pedal be able to help me out without fiddling with my knob on stage?
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
thats exactly what it is meant for. volume changes on the fly without having to stop your hands. and just convenience.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
you really only need one if you gig or need to change volume in songs literally as your playing. So if you are just a bedroom practicer, there is pretty much no reason for one in my opinion. Some people have said it "colors" your tone but if thats what you WANT, why not get an expression pedal? volume pedals are pretty useless unless you do shows in my opinion.

And I doubt that "Daron Malakian > You", you being directed at UG users is accurate. I think that anyone who doesn't know any scales and can play power chords followed by random notes on the high E string can pretty much play system of a down... =/
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
i hated when i went to GC and i wanted to play with the EB volume pedal. he didn't know ****, and he was like... well this thing only boosts ur volume... it doesn't do much. i wanted to play it and see how it feels... but he goes... "it only boosts ur volume. thats what it is..."

so then i had to put in some tech talk. "if it boosts the volume, does it require battery?" i asked, and of course he said, "no. it's completely batteryless." so i told him "boosting is only done by battery, and if it's passive, the volume goes down only, never up. now let me try that ****." and there you go, i got it, but he hooked me up to a Fender **** amp, so after he left, i moved to a Fender Blues Jr. the end. =]

moral: never trust GC reps. they're totally worthless to talk to. only some older guys are smart enough to talk to you.
moral2: volume pedal does not increase the volume. nor does it require battery. there's no switch for bypass either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Not only used for volume swells, they're good for switching from pp to ff in midsong.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
It basically controls your volume. The lower you have it, the lower your volume is. It is an expression like a wah.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
i read that you can also use volume pedal as gain controler. will i be able to use it like that if i don't have a separate distortion pedal? does it have to be guitar-volume pedal-distortion pedal-amp or guitar-distortion pedal-volume pedal-amp. i'm asking this because i play with my amp set on distortion, but i sometimes also need to switch to clean during the song really quickly. i apologize if i'm not clear enough and if the question is dumb
Quote by dto
i read that you can also use volume pedal as gain controler. will i be able to use it like that if i don't have a separate distortion pedal? does it have to be guitar-volume pedal-distortion pedal-amp or guitar-distortion pedal-volume pedal-amp. i'm asking this because i play with my amp set on distortion, but i sometimes also need to switch to clean during the song really quickly. i apologize if i'm not clear enough and if the question is dumb

Yeah basically if you turn down the volume at any source (volume pedals are best however) the gain will not be as strong and will die down. Turn down your amp progressively and the gain will slowly go away. So yes that is an accurate statement. But to switch to clean, just buy a standard channel switcher. That would be more convenient but the volume pedal helps.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM