Am i the only one who thinks that Free is the best blues/rock band? I just saw this huge led zeppelin thread but where's the free thread?? free>led zepp by a lot
free are awsome, but I do think they have a thread somewhere about.
Gear:

Squire Fat Stratocaster (Gotoh Pickups)
Marshall 50 DFX amplifier
Marshall Guv'nor II Distortion Pedal
Jim Dunlop Standard Cry Baby
Vintage VS6
Paul Kossoff was the king of finger vibrato. I love his playing on the live version of "The Hunter".

Paul Rodgers always seems to make any band he's in sound great, Free was no exception.

I also love "the Stealer" , anyway great band.
They definitely have, or at least had a thread here, but it seems to have died.

I like Free, though I wouldn't say that they were the best Blues-Rock band.

They had some great songs, and a few great albums, but I feel as though they were somewhat unstable.

Paul Kossoff was a great guitarist, but it's sad he died so young.
Gotta love some Free. I have their DVD, got it for Christmas, and it is so very rocking! Can't get enough...

Also discovered a band recently that is heavily influenced by them, yet has their own take on the style... if you haven't heard The Answer then I suggest giving them a listen...
What I've heard of Free is cool as hell. What's that one about some young soldier? Can't remember it to search for the tab/video
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Not THE best blues band ever, but they are defenatly amazing.
Paul Kossof's guitar work is one of my favorites, he has a finger vibrato as good as Angus Young's.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I bought Heartbreaker the other day, WOW, they're amazing.

Wishing Well is the best song ever.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by ScarletSpider

Also discovered a band recently that is heavily influenced by them, yet has their own take on the style... if you haven't heard The Answer then I suggest giving them a listen...
If I see you mention that band one more time I'm going to warn you.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by R_H_C_P
I bought Heartbreaker the other day, WOW, they're amazing.

Wishing Well is the best song ever.

Heartbreaker is a great album, though the production quality wasn't that great on it.

Paul Kossoff wasn't on the entire album either, but there were still many great songs.
Free was and is a great band. Paul Rodgers is a great vocalist, Paul Kossoff was a sweet guitarist, Andy Fraser brought some crazy bass, and Simon Kirke played some great drums. They're one of my favorite British bands.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
One of their great blues songs is Walk in my Shadow, the guitar playing is just stellar on that track. I also love their mellower, softer songs such as Oh I Wept, Moonshine and Be My Friend
Rush Fan Club member # 10
Seinfeld Fan Club member #7
Top Band! Give a listen to one of their earlier albums - "Tons of Sobs".
I was fortunate to win a ticket to attend the launch of their DVD with Fraser & Kirk in attendance and they kindly signed my copy of Fire & Water - priceless!
Didn't sound like PR was keen on getting back together with them but who knows now that Zep have done it.
I love Free, it's a real shame about Kossoff dying so young - and seeing as Free never quite reached the same heights as the likes of Zeppelin, AC/DC etc, he's always overlooked as a guitarist and is very underrated, I'd say.

^ And to Free getting back together? Nooooo way Jose. I mean, Zeppelin was controversial enough but let's face it (it's a dodgy thing to say around these parts considering this is John Bonham we're talking about), but in any band replacing a drummer may be just about possible - but a new guitarist is a whole different story. Especially in a band where a lot of their music was guitar-oriented, and especially with a guitarist like Paul Kossoff.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Last edited by Froddy at Jan 14, 2008,
I'm a fan of "Free Me"......gotta love that mesmerising bassline.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Yeah I love 'em Saw Paul Rodgers in Glasgow in 2006, he was freakin amazing, did a lot of Free stuff, which was nice

And the funny thing was, when they started playing The Hunter, people started screaming exactly like on the live record