Hey guys!

This is what i've got:

Gibson les paul studio guitar
Peavey studio pro 112 amp
Korg ax1000g multieffect
Digitech hotrod
Digitech metalmaster
Dunlop crybaby wah

I play all kinds of music but im pretty fond of pink floyd, guns n roses, sikth, dillinger escape plan... Quite weird mix i suppose.. What im wondering now is what im "supposed to" save money for next time? better amp? better effects? better mics? better guitar???

Thanks in advance to anyone answering (preferably a good answer)
^Agreed.

A nice tube amp can do wonders
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
wtf was that gibson your first guitar cause it doesnt make sense to buy a guitar like that before an amp.

oh yeah, tube amp
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
If you really want advice here's mine. Get rid of the DigiTech pedals and the Korg multi-effects. Buy some good analog pedals. Your amp is decent as solid state amps go but I would check into a small tube combo if you jam with anyone. You really won't know how great that guitar sounds until you do.
I'll get ready for the attacks folks but it's just my opinion.
Ok, Thanks guys!! Tube amp it is then.. You have any suggestions? like what brand, model, what you should think about and so on? I know nothing when it comes to tubes, but I sure will try the almighty google
Quote by uldhppi
If you really want advice here's mine. Get rid of the DigiTech pedals and the Korg multi-effects. Buy some good analog pedals. Your amp is decent as solid state amps go but I would check into a small tube combo if you jam with anyone. You really won't know how great that guitar sounds until you do.
I'll get ready for the attacks folks but it's just my opinion.

I actually like my pedals at least all but the korg.. But as you say ive heard that analog pedals are the best and I sure would want a combo but right now im not in a band and a combo might take a little too much space from my one-room-appartment
Quote by jpgilbert701
wtf was that gibson your first guitar cause it doesnt make sense to buy a guitar like that before an amp.

oh yeah, tube amp

no ive had four guitars before, squier (yuck), kramer (used with like no fretboard left), ibanez and a burnout (yuck, yuck and yuck). The guy in the store said that i should buy the guitar first before the amp cause it would advance my playing and I think he was kinda right, but i will definatly take some of my gear with me and try a tube and see if i was ripped off!
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Better amp. </thread>

+1

Then get yourself a few decent pedals and get rid of those damned distortion pedals.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by False_God
whats your budget
et on th amp?

well it wasnt very long ago i bought my gibson and the distortion pedals so lets just say ive got a pretty limited budget.. + im a student basicaly im (after the above answers) looking for a pretty cheap tubeamp that works for bedroom playing since im not in a band right now. ive been looking on a line6 spider III hd75 wich is pretty much in my range of money but i dont know anything about it.. i dont even know if it is a tuber

hrm to answer your question about 600 dollars all in all..
Quote by IncubusMan999
+1

Then get yourself a few decent pedals and get rid of those damned distortion pedals.

heh and I thought they were pretty good
Stay away from the line 6, especially with a reasonable budget like that, are you willing to go use (even better deals) and what sort of genres do you play?

Quickedit:

Also, agreed with the digitech and korg, sell em all, get some dosh, buy an OD pedal to push your tubes even further, much better sounding.
What do you guys think of a Randall RH100 + a behringer 4*12 USED for about 500 dollars? good deal?
Quote by Hakanku
Stay away from the line 6, especially with a reasonable budget like that, are you willing to go use (even better deals) and what sort of genres do you play?

Quickedit:

Also, agreed with the digitech and korg, sell em all, get some dosh, buy an OD pedal to push your tubes even further, much better sounding.

hmm ok well the 600 dollar budget is my absolute top right now.. im willing to go with used stuff but I live in sweden so the market isnt that huge I play all kinds of music but i like pink floyd and guns n roses but also pantera and sikth.. i guess it just depends on what mood im in.. i cant believe what ive must have been ripped off with the pedals (not the korg though that was my first so i wasnt looking for the best of the best) the guy in the store said that the digitechs was really good for all types of music.. and i actualy kinda like them, but i havent tried analog or much else of anything so i guess that speaks for itself What do you guys think of behringer or randal then? i know behringer isnt the best but they are soooo cheap...
Quote by whatcomeon
I actually like my pedals at least all but the korg.. But as you say ive heard that analog pedals are the best and I sure would want a combo but right now im not in a band and a combo might take a little too much space from my one-room-appartment

A combo might take up too much room? What are you talking about? A combo would take up less room than a head + a cab.....

A better question would be, what kind of brands can you get a hold of in Sweden?

Also, a new guitar will not advance your playing as that guy said. He's just trying to sell you something....

BTW, use the edit button, no need to multi-post...

Can you find anything like a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube?
A combo might take up too much room? What are you talking about? A combo would take up less room than a head + a cab.....

oh sorry of course i meant the other way around.. But ive been thinking and the space propably wont be a problem.. Theres a saying in sweden "if theres heartroom theres assroom"

A better question would be, what kind of brands can you get a hold of in Sweden?

I think pretty much all..

Also, a new guitar will not advance your playing as that guy said. He's just trying to sell you something....

well i actualy think my playing improved when i bought the gibson instead of the burnout..

BTW, use the edit button, no need to multi-post...

Sorry about that this was my first post and as i said im from sweden

Can you find anything like a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube?

Ive found some cubes but which cube model do you mean? The valvetronix i didnt find.. What do you guys think of the FENDER FM 100H 230V EURO DS + FM412SL?
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Fender FM series' distortion is pretty much trash.

For the Cube, anything that will suit you. The 30 would be good for you bedroom playing. And so would the 60, but it would also be able to play with a drummer.

ok thanks i will look into that! got any suggestions on good heads/cabs?
600 dollars, I thought sweden was in euro? Meh I have no clue, do you mean US dollars? If so I think you could get a better amp than a cube 60 with that money.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Better amp. </thread>

word.

that's about the first time i've ever seen someone who posted "/thread" who was actually close to being correct.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hakanku
600 dollars, I thought sweden was in euro? Meh I have no clue, do you mean US dollars? If so I think you could get a better amp than a cube 60 with that money.

actualy its neither dollars or euro but i thought it would be easier for you guys than writing it like 5000 swedish kronors and i meant us dollars.. it about 500 euros if that helps.. or something like that i dont know.. BTW about how much could i ask for my peavey studio pro 112 if i were to sell it?

Edit: BTW I didnt expect to see so many answering!! great success!!
Last edited by whatcomeon at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by whatcomeon
actualy its neither dollars or euro but i thought it would be easier for you guys than writing it like 5000 swedish kronors and i meant us dollars.. it about 500 euros if that helps.. or something like that i dont know.. BTW about how much could i ask for my peavey studio pro 112 if i were to sell it?

The Peavey Studio Pro 112's go for £50-£80 on eBay.
just be careful with the cubes, some of the lower models (the 15 and 20) don't have amp modelling- you want that, that's the main selling point of the amp!

the microcube DOES have the amp modelling, which is strange (but you might as well take advantage of that if you don't need any volume)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There a number of 5 watt tube combos available in the US, don't know if you can get them but here's a short list: Peavey Valveking Royal 8, Crate Palamino, Fender Champ 600. All for about $200 USD list price. They are small. My preference is either the Valveking (master volume, headphone jack) or the Palamino.
If you have to keep your pedal board compact there are some very small pedals available but I won't recommend brands.
The amp you have is pretty good for solid state. Your wah is good also. I would look at an analog distortion, analog chorus, and maybe a compressor. If you don't have reverb I will mention the Electroharmonix Holy Grail as an option. It sounds great for a digital pedal.
I hope you weren't offended by the direct advice. You seem to understand what you are doing. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the people on this forum who ask for advice and then just argue against the recommendations. Good luck and have fun.
Quote by uldhppi
There a number of 5 watt tube combos available in the US, don't know if you can get them but here's a short list: Peavey Valveking Royal 8, Crate Palamino, Fender Champ 600. All for about $200 USD list price. They are small. My preference is either the Valveking (master volume, headphone jack) or the Palamino.
If you have to keep your pedal board compact there are some very small pedals available but I won't recommend brands.
The amp you have is pretty good for solid state. Your wah is good also. I would look at an analog distortion, analog chorus, and maybe a compressor. If you don't have reverb I will mention the Electroharmonix Holy Grail as an option. It sounds great for a digital pedal.
I hope you weren't offended by the direct advice. You seem to understand what you are doing. You would be surprised (or maybe not) at the people on this forum who ask for advice and then just argue against the recommendations. Good luck and have fun.

Ok thanks for the advice! Ive been looking on the roland cube60 (about 500 dollars) and i found the peavey royal 8 (about 300 dollars).. both seems fine and ive found some good reviews of both, but i just cant deny the coolness of having a fullstack I will definatly go and check those two fellows out soon, but in the mean time do you have any good suggestions for head+cab? What do you think of Kustom Quad Junior, Kustom 100W half stack for about 500 dollars or VOX AD100VTH Top + V412VK for 800?

The holy grail looks absolutely awesome! definetly checking that out too although my main priority for now have to be the amp.. God i wish i was rich!!

Edit: oops forgot to mention that I think the 5 watts is a little in the bottom.. Im mostly playing just at home but I kinda want to be able to use it for future gigs and so on.
I know quite a few people dont like them that much on here, But I think they are good for the price:

valveking

or you have the 2/12 combo for 498 Eur.

Its tube, within budget, WAY more watts than you'll ever need to use, practicing with drummer or gigging.

I know it looks cooler to have a half-stack/stack, but it takes alot more room, costs more altogether (to get the same amp in head form and a cab) so you end up buying a cheaper not as good head to compensate for money going towards the cab. And also, the two amps you mentioned are not that great IMO.
Last edited by Hakanku at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by Hakanku
I know quite a few people dont like them that much on here, But I think they are good for the price:

valveking

or you have the 2/12 combo for 498 Eur.

Its tube, within budget, WAY more watts than you'll ever need to use, practicing with drummer or gigging.

I know it looks cooler to have a half-stack/stack, but it takes alot more room, costs more altogether (to get the same amp in head form and a cab) so you end up buying a cheaper not as good head to compensate for money going towards the cab. And also, the two amps you mentioned are not that great IMO.

Ok thanks man the valveking seems great! the only bad thing I can find about it in reviews is the quality isnt that good and when the gain is turned up it has some highpitched buzz.. Besides that i think this is pretty much exactly what i was looking for The way more watts is that the 112 or the 2/12 combo? cause the one i have i think is like 65 watts or something and in my former band i thought that was like in the bottom.. although ive heard that tubers is louder..and yeah i kinda figured that was the case with stacks.. too bad though
Both the 1/12 and 2/12 are more than you will need, the 1/12 is 50 watts and the 2/12 is 100.

50 watts tube is more than enough,
Quote by Hakanku
Both the 1/12 and 2/12 are more than you will need, the 1/12 is 50 watts and the 2/12 is 100.

50 watts tube is more than enough,

Ok thanks! I will go check that one out as soon as ive got the money
yeah, the valveking isn't bad for the money. A lot of the classic rockers and blues guys aren't too fussed, because the classic 30 (or in the UK a laney vc30) is a lot better for not much more cash (indeed the vc30 is about the same in the UK), but if you need a moderately high gain amp with a decent clean channel for cheap, which is also tube, the VK is quite nice. I hear the reliability isn't amazing, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My best guess from what I have read about the Valveking (I like mine) is about 1 in every 20 or so amps exhibits problems that necessitate a return. As time goes by this seems to be decreasing. If you buy one get a good return policy just in case. Some people bring up "buzziness" as an issue but I have found that after the speaker is broken in and with a little EQ its just fine. The speaker may not be the best for diming the amp and playing modern metal but it will get you by until an upgrade.
Don't forget to check the used market.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all your answers guys really appreciate it!! as I said I didnt expect that so it was a nice surprise! I just have to save up some money and then i think ill go and buy me one of those valvekings!!

Edit: Oh sorry forgot to ask you ive found a valveking 100 watt top with a Laney TF-series cab for 666,6666666 dollars (what a coincidence) is this a good deal or should i stick with the 112 for about 500?
^ that's only a solid state laney cab (EDIT: what i mean is, it's the matching cab for one of the cheaper solid state heads, i realise cabs are neither solid state nor tube)... my guess is it's not a great cab, basically. Not that the speaker in the valveking combo is great either, of course, but with the halfstack you're paying extra for a crap cab... at least with the 112 you're saving a bit of cash...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that's only a solid state laney cab (EDIT: what i mean is, it's the matching cab for one of the cheaper solid state heads, i realise cabs are neither solid state nor tube)... my guess is it's not a great cab, basically. Not that the speaker in the valveking combo is great either, of course, but with the halfstack you're paying extra for a crap cab... at least with the 112 you're saving a bit of cash...

Ok yeah thought that might be the case.. I think its pretty much settled for me then Thanks again guys!
Page 1 of 2