Hey all.

In the intro to Battery by Metallica, it's an acoustic guitar doing the lead part, right?

So how do they do this live? Acoustic simulator? Or just use their regular chorusy clean tone? Or... well I can't think of anything else and I'm just curious.

Thanks to anyone who replies
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Not entirely sure, but I think they will just use the clean setting on their guitars
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
In a live video of them at Rock am Ring they just played the acoustic part from the album through the speakers and then they came in with the electric guitar. Maybe that was just a one time deal, I don't know.
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
They dont play it live. Usually the intro is already recorded and done over the loud speakers then they do the heavy part after the intro.
Quote by truckster
They dont play it live. Usually the intro is already recorded and done over the loud speakers then they do the heavy part after the intro.

There you go. I can confirm this.
Sorry that sounded confusing:
They played the prerecorded acoustic part on the speakers and then the actual live electric guitar part comes in. If that sounds easier to understand.
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by truckster

Thats what I was trying to say.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
IF they do play it, they play it clean.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Ismail93
Sorry that sounded confusing:
They played the prerecorded acoustic part on the speakers and then the actual live electric guitar part comes in. If that sounds easier to understand.

Ah I hate it when bands play pre-recorded things live during a gig
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
when im jam with friends to this song, we go right to the fast heavy part. all hail metallica!
Ah thanks for the replies people
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by johnny_tapia
Ah I hate it when bands play pre-recorded things live during a gig

They have to, the intro is a BUNCH of guitars layered, it would sound weird with just two acoustics.
Quote by JoeBender
They have to, the intro is a BUNCH of guitars layered, it would sound weird with just two acoustics.

Still though, if you have paid to see a band play live, you don't really want to hear a buch of pre-recordings being played through the speakers.
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Last edited by johnny_tapia at Aug 8, 2007,
Quote by CelestialChaos
Major phail.

obviously you have never witnessed this. it seriously sends a shiver down your spine. ****ing amazing.

i suggest that EVERYONE goes to see metallica live, best experience you will ever have.

also, if you listen to aerosmith, you should shoot yourself, then come back to life and jump off a bridge.
^Yeah, 'cause now you've insulted Aerosmith, I can totally rely on your credibility.... good job.

Anyway thanks for the replies people, I'm actually not planning on doing a cover of this song or anything, I was just curious.

thanks ye all
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
duuude.. aerosmith are the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.. they are made entirely out of processed cheese. if you listened to them too much, you'd go blind.

and i wasnt necesarily insulting aerosmith, it was a stab at their fans as much as anything.
back in the day james used to have an acoustic guitar bolted to some sort of stand/boom for playing songs like the unforgiven and fade to black, he'd have his main electric slung so he could change easily.

not sure if its ever been done for battery though.
Quote by johnny_tapia
Still though, if you have paid to see a band play live, you don't really want to hear a buch of pre-recordings being played through the speakers.
It's an intro to one song, get off your high-horse.

EDIT: I guess that sounded a bit mean, so I apologize. But, seriously, it seems like a very elitist attitude putting them down for using a recording that they probably couldn't do live very easily anyway. Give 'em a few seconds to take a breather, jeeze..
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Aug 8, 2007,
I think they always do that (never been in a concert though, just watching from videos), the same with the intro of Blackened.

And to johnny_tapia, they just do that for songs like Battery and Blackened (i have a collection of a lot of metallica videos/bootlegs from 1984 to 2007), so don't worry if you're thinking to go to one of their concert.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by cheames
duuude.. aerosmith are the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.. they are made entirely out of processed cheese. if you listened to them too much, you'd go blind.

I figure this needs to be quoted for ultimate truth.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2