Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by Oldmonkeys
dude Ultimate Guitar

dude The Pit
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
im so sick of people saying get pearl. the only pearls worth having are the ones in the chad smith signiature price range. my first kit was a pdp EZ kit and it was perfect for beginning. get attack heads because theyre cheap and are sturdy, zbt cymbals or B8's...theyre basically the same...and double braced hardware and you have a perfectly fine starter kit. ive upgraded to the ddrum diablo pux and added some toms and its badass. drums are awesome man...and just because they dont say pearl doesnt mean theyre not good. pdp ez kit is your best best, 300 with hardware and cymbals even though those will have to be replaced.
CB is good enough my friend, my drummer got that exact one to start with. If you want you can do what he did and add better parts later, like he got a new snare and set of ZBT cymbals. But the bass drum and toms have remained and they're good enough to practice with.
Also it's easy enough to put together and take apart, it's just a question of the size if you're needing to transport it, and in that case it wouldn't matter what kit you got cause they're all near enough the same size.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by im_hungry

Would it be a lot of effort to get it to other peoples houses and stuff?

Yea its pretty hard to do that even if you have a big truck or van. Its hard to get it set up how you like it every single practice. Its much easier to have practice go to the drums than have the drums go to practice if that makes any sense. I recommend buying new cymbals after you get a set because if they give you cymbals 90% of the time theyre horrible.
I say go for a cheaper second hand drum kit. You cant go wrong with the OLD pearl export, fantastic kits.

Check out old 60's premier drum kits. My first kit was a maroon 60's prem, it was a really well made kit, if a little flimsy.

Dont buy the cheap kits new, theyre terrible kits. I always buy things second hand, who cares?
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Forget Boston Or CB, never heard of, you'll be beter off with a second hand like Nick said, just put new heads on it and its as good as new...

If you really want a new payable good sounding starterskit (like i did) you will be very pleased with a Tama Superstar. Its the cheap version of the very expensive Starclassic. I tested a cheap pearl (500&euro and that tama. The tama ruled the Pearl. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying tama is better than pearl or something. Tama has just better kits in the lower budget series... they use the same wood as in the expensive kits, you have the same practical mounting system and so on.. .

With a cheap cymbal set, you have a very good kit for 1000€ or so. (I dont know how much € this is sorry).
Just dont spend to much money on cymbals in the beginning!

Happy drumming
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
imo get the CB drums on GAK if your cheap on money

I'd save up though

he speaks the truth. thats what i started on. i played many gigs with them.
really most of your money should be spent on decent cymbals.
Quote by Oldmonkeys
dude Ultimate Guitar

dude you're Owned
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by Snev
Forget Boston Or CB, never heard of, you'll be beter off with a second hand like Nick said, just put new heads on it and its as good as new...

If you really want a new payable good sounding starterskit (like i did) you will be very pleased with a Tama Superstar. Its the cheap version of the very expensive Starclassic. I tested a cheap pearl (500&euro and that tama. The tama ruled the Pearl. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying tama is better than pearl or something. Tama has just better kits in the lower budget series... they use the same wood as in the expensive kits, you have the same practical mounting system and so on.. .

With a cheap cymbal set, you have a very good kit for 1000€ or so. (I dont know how much € this is sorry).
Just dont spend to much money on cymbals in the beginning!

Happy drumming

tama does not use the same wood in the high end as they do in the low end
btw. i use a Yamaha Stage Custom Kit from Japan
with a K dark thin crash and 1 crappy ride and a pair of K hi-hats.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
no drum company uses the same wood in the high end as their lower end kits. also there is no such thing is a chad smith signature line pearl kit. he has a signature snare and nothing more.

i also recommend getting a used kit. there are many kits you can grab for under 300 bucks that will last you a long time with gigging and hold up nicely. the brands were mentioned above, mapex, PDP, pearl, Gretsch, Ludwig.

I would also try to get used cymbals as well. those cheaper starter packs aren't the greatest, although wuhan, meinl and saluda make great cymbals and are pretty cheap compared to the top 3 companies.
OK, i was wrong, but you have a starclassic with mapple or birch, the low end superstar has birch mixed with Basswood :p
you still have the star-cast mouting system, the same as for the starclassic. And you have the same Die-cast hoops as of the starclassic.

I bought a cheap cymbal pack because they are not loud and because i use them for learning.
But then again second hand cymbals would have been great too.
That's about $232 in American dollars. I'd say thats a pretty good deal
hell yeah!

edit: the dude at the drumshop even told me tama isn't making profit (or allmost nothing) with the superstars, it was sort of a advertisement stunt or something, whatever. The tama superstar is even great on stage with its loud bass...

omg, i'm not a tama salesman ;o

stop snev stop
Last edited by Snev at Aug 24, 2007,