I need a good noise gate. I have heard good things about the ISP Decimator and the Boss NS-2. But wanted to see other opinions or other options.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
boss ns-2 is the holy grail!!!
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
Quote by taylorfrey66
boss ns-2 is the holy grail!!!

PHAIL

boss ns-2 is a failure of a pedal.

i own a boss ns-2 and an isp decimator.
the boss is for sale.

the boss is ridiculously over complicated.
the isp is simple.

the boss doesn't work.
the isp does.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
PHAIL

boss ns-2 is a failure of a pedal.

i own a boss ns-2 and an isp decimator.
the boss is for sale.

the boss is ridiculously over complicated.
the isp is simple.

the boss doesn't work.
the isp does.

Wow...

Well, anyone else have this kind of experience with this pedal?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
well, this is what you're going to have to deal with if you get the boss.

a cable running from the guitar to the pedal input, then from the pedals loop send to the amp input, from the amps FX loop send to the pedals loop return, from the pedals out put to the amps FX return.

you loose your FX loop because you have to use it to work the pedal, and doing so, it's ridiculously power full and it cuts off all the amps high end and sounds really unnatural.

the isp i go guitar ->isp -> amp, and it works perfectly. doesn't affect the tone at all, cuts off unwanted noise, sounds really natural.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by KaneIsRaw13
Boss NS-2 FTW!

NO

now go sit in the corner and think about what you just said.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

The ISP has a +10 setting. What does that do? Is it like a clean boost?

Also, where should I put it? It is going to be used with a 5150 II and a Maxon OD 808.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Quote by KaMiKaZi90
The ISP has a +10 setting. What does that do? Is it like a clean boost?

Also, where should I put it? It is going to be used with a 5150 II and a Maxon OD 808.

+10? no that's just a setting for the threshhold, like if you have active pick ups or put it after the od. like you could use that setting if you wanted to use it to silence your rig completely between songs.

i'd put it after the od before the amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
+10? no that's just a setting for the threshhold, like if you have active pick ups or put it after the od. like you could use that setting if you wanted to use it to silence your rig completely between songs.

i'd put it after the od before the amp.

Alright, cool.

These things are a bit more expensive than the NS-2. Guess I am off to ebay!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

yeah dude go for the decimator it does wonders
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by gpderek09

a cable running from the guitar to the pedal input, then from the pedals loop send to the amp input, from the amps FX loop send to the pedals loop return, from the pedals out put to the amps FX return.

you loose your FX loop because you have to use it to work the pedal, and doing so, it's ridiculously power full and it cuts off all the amps high end and sounds really unnatural.

the isp i go guitar ->isp -> amp, and it works perfectly. doesn't affect the tone at all, cuts off unwanted noise, sounds really natural.

Not really. I go Guitar>Crybaby>TS9>NS2>amp doing nothing with the effects chain and it works just fine. The NS2 isnt as bad as people on this forum make it out to be. If you have the extra money, I would get the ISP but if you are running low the NS2 should be good.
Decimator, or nothing imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The reviews at Harmony Central seem to favor the Boss NS-2. I just want to make sure I am getting the right thing.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Quote by gpderek09

What? Have you never read the manual?

The Boss NS-2 has its own dedicated effects loop.

Guitar -> NS-2 (Send -> Effects -> Return) -> Amp

Or, you just run it in chain..

Guitar -> OD -> Modulation -> NS-2 -> Amp

Or, put it in your effects loop..

Guitar -> Preamp -> Loop (NS-2) -> Poweramp

The NS-2 is simple as hell, and works just fine.

*Threshold control, for obvious reasons.
*Delay to set the amount of time before the signal is cut, after it falls below the threshold.
*Control to choose footswitch function - Reduction = Bypass/Reduction... Mute = Reduction/Mute signal.

Hardly complicated.

Edit:

I run like this..

Guitar -> NS-2 (Send -> SD-1 -> MD-2 -> Return) -> Amp
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Aug 9, 2007,
I've had nothing but grief from my NS-2. Whether I use it's dedicated FX loop or run straight through or any combo I can think of it makes my guitar very quiet at first and it takes a few seconds to get to full volume. It's fine for practicing by myself but not so much the band situation. My other guitar player got a 5 or 6 channel one(can't remember the brand right off-hand) off ebay that works awesome.
This Is The Art Of Ruin
Ruin

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
I play because the secret reptilian, alien empire requires it of me. I guess you could say it's "protocol."

Quote by Dirk Gently
icksnay on the ecretsay eptiliansray
If you're going to a store to get it like guitar center, offer them $100 for a Decimator and see what they say. I got mine for $106 out the door which is only $6 more than an NS-2 and is much better (imo). I've never heard a single bad thing about a Decimator either, but you always here bad stuff about NS-2s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by thetoastinator
Not really. I go Guitar>Crybaby>TS9>NS2>amp doing nothing with the effects chain and it works just fine. The NS2 isnt as bad as people on this forum make it out to be. If you have the extra money, I would get the ISP but if you are running low the NS2 should be good.

i tried it like that too and it didn't cut out anything but volume and tone.

Quote by -MintSauce-
What? Have you never read the manual?

The Boss NS-2 has its own dedicated effects loop.

Guitar -> NS-2 (Send -> Effects -> Return) -> Amp

Or, you just run it in chain..

Guitar -> OD -> Modulation -> NS-2 -> Amp

Or, put it in your effects loop..

Guitar -> Preamp -> Loop (NS-2) -> Poweramp

The NS-2 is simple as hell, and works just fine.

*Threshold control, for obvious reasons.
*Delay to set the amount of time before the signal is cut, after it falls below the threshold.
*Control to choose footswitch function - Reduction = Bypass/Reduction... Mute = Reduction/Mute signal.

Hardly complicated.

Edit:

I run like this..

Guitar -> NS-2 (Send -> SD-1 -> MD-2 -> Return) -> Amp

the first process you described is what i said. he's not using pedals, so he would need to put the amps pre-amp in the loop to make it work properly. with BOSS pedals it works fine, because boss pedals usually have a **** load of fizzy high end (ie, metal zone), and they actually sounded better with the gate when i had an mt-2. but with an amp it's just ****e.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
i tried it like that too and it didn't cut out anything but volume and tone.

the first process you described is what i said. he's not using pedals, so he would need to put the amps pre-amp in the loop to make it work properly. with BOSS pedals it works fine, because boss pedals usually have a **** load of fizzy high end (ie, metal zone), and they actually sounded better with the gate when i had an mt-2. but with an amp it's just ****e.

I am going to be using a pedal. A Maxon OD 808. But I will also probably use the Noise Gate by itself as well.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Quote by KaMiKaZi90
I am going to be using a pedal. A Maxon OD 808. But I will also probably use the Noise Gate by itself as well.

well you could put that pedal in the loop, but then it's really only cutting noise from that pedal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Arg! I am torn between these two pedals!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

Quote by KaMiKaZi90
Arg! I am torn between these two pedals!

why?

boss ns-2 sucks.
isp decimator is awesome.

the 5150 is a noisy beast, you'll want to cut the noise from that and not just the OD.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I suggest the ISP decimator aswell, although one thing I found when I owned the decimator (sold it) was that it cut my sustain when I played with really high gain settings, other than that it did get rid of every single bit of unwanted noise.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
I suggest the ISP decimator aswell, although one thing I found when I owned the decimator (sold it) was that it cut my sustain when I played with really high gain settings, other than that it did get rid of every single bit of unwanted noise.

well you have to know what you're doing, i could see that happening if you set it over half way to cut every last bit of noise, but you have to be reasonable with everything, some extra noise is from poor technique when playing and such. regardless it still works helluva lot better than anything else out there imo.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
well you have to know what you're doing, i could see that happening if you set it over half way to cut every last bit of noise, but you have to be reasonable with everything, some extra noise is from poor technique when playing and such. regardless it still works helluva lot better than anything else out there imo.

Exactly. You only need it set at about 10 o'clock, max, otherwise it will completely kill your sustain and also turn down the volume coming out of your amp because then it'll also killing be your guitar's input volume.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Exactly. You only need it set at about 10 o'clock, max, otherwise it will completely kill your sustain and also turn down the volume coming out of your amp because then it'll also killing be your guitar's input volume.

mines usually just left of center to 11 o'clock. works fine.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
mines usually just left of center to 11 o'clock. works fine.

Yeah, I guess you're right, I've been sick the past 2 days haha. I know at a certain point, close to center, it does that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, I guess you're right, I've been sick the past 2 days haha. I know at a certain point, close to center, it does that

yeah, gotta find that sweet spot.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ISP. My ns-2 is being used as a door stop right now. ISP does nto kill tone. does not kill sustain if you know how to use it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^ +1 on the decimator being better than the ns2.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KaMiKaZi90
The reviews at Harmony Central seem to favor the Boss NS-2. I just want to make sure I am getting the right thing.

The reviews on HC also say that the Spider II's are the best thing since sliced bread.
Go figure

The ISP is completely transparent- it doesn't affect your tone at all, whereas the Ns-2 does.

ISP pwns
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I have the Boss NS-2. It's sitting on my pedals board right now, actually.

But it's not hooked up.

I unhooked it because although it reduces my noise, it sucks away all my sustain coming from my beautiful Les Paul.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
ISP it is then. One question. I am going to be using a OD pedal with my 5150 II. Where should I put the Decimator? Effects loop of end of chain?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II

i'd put it after the OD before the amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565