umm..I'm not sure if theres a name for it but he's either using an e-bow or hes coordinating his picking so that he he hits it right before he turns the volume all the way down to produce a violin bow kinda sound.
Vibrato, you kinda bend the string and release it a very small amount, and do it a few times rapidly. Eventually, you'll start to do it automatically when you're holding a note.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
He is using the volume knob.

When turned up and down like that, it sounds like a violin.
He's just playing around with the volume knob on his strat...that while picking notes and using vibrato with his fretting hand.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
It looks like he's using volume swells
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
it's called a volume "swell". you can do it with a volume pedal easier than the volume knob, but u can do what chase312 said. u pick when the volume is at 1, and then swell it so it doesn't pick up the pick attack, but slowly swells.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Check out Yngwie when he does those rapid swells... I can't stand the guy, but his technique is impeccable, and his swells are marvelous.
Volume swells and vibrato...Fruciante FTW
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
OMG the noob doent have a volume pedal. ITS CALLED FADE-IN and you need a volume pedal you hit the note and start increasing the volume slowly
My Gear:
Ibanez Iron Label 8 string (RGIR28FE)
Schecter Haillraiser C7
Randall RG 1503+ 2x12" V30s
Mooer GE200
Also, most people will think of this as cheating, but some of the multi-fx pedals will have an effect called "Slow Attack" or something like that, that basically volume swells each note. Its cool because you can change parameters for the rate of the swell, etc.