Well I've been thinking alot lately about learning bass just for the hell of it, it gives me another instrument to play, and to me it looks like a bit of fun.
What should i start out with learning?
I'll mostly be playing stuff like pantera some heavier **** and alot of metal.
MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:
"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"
The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
My first song was "Walls Fall Down" by Bedouin Soundclash. It might not be your type of music, but it's pretty fun learning and playing.
IN SOVIET RUSSIA BAss LEARN YOUUU!! haha no but its not that different from guitar.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
wait, so you play guitar? alright, pick up a bass.. congratulations! you've learned to play the bass guitar!!

bassists don't flame me, i've learned bass and everything. and yea, it does take a bit of work getting the right hand picking thing down, but if you were actually a solid guitar player, you should adjust quite well.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
wait, so you play guitar? alright, pick up a bass.. congratulations! you've learned to play the bass guitar!!

bassists don't flame me, i've learned bass and everything. and yea, it does take a bit of work getting the right hand picking thing down, but if you were actually a solid guitar player, you should adjust quite well.

Yeah ive been playing guitar for like 2 years now been taking lessons for about 1 year so im decent with guitar.
MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:
"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"
The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
ya i want to start too i just gotta find my bro's bass books. he's got like 2. and he never read them or played bass so io might as well use it and make some bass lines and stuff. Just play whatever u play on guitar and do it on bass and stuff. I like to play stuff like rap songs and then show my friends and they'l be like **** ur gangsta. but u can do like blink 182 stuff or billy idol i dono, metallica.....
Give It Away by Red Hot Chili Peppers has one of the most kickass basslines EVER!
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
Learn some Marcus Miller.

I'm kidding, for begginers I would try Razz - Kings of Leon, Witchcraft - Wolfmother, Dead Disco - Metric.
666 BRO
Quote by Kankuro
Learn some Marcus Miller.

I'm kidding, for begginers I would try Razz - Kings of Leon, Witchcraft - Wolfmother, Dead Disco - Metric.

Hellz yeah, Metric kicks ass.
The softest of blankets is six feet of soil.

Upcoming Shows:
Sasquatch! Festival - May 2013
Ha, whatever. Anybody telling you a guitarist can play bass is full of ****. Guitar != bass, the transition isn't that easy in either direction unless you are content sounding like ****.

If you want some good bass stuff to get started with and are into thrash, some early Metallica is a great place to start. The last two riffs of Fade to Black are good, and No Remorse isn't that hard most of the way through. Both of those should help get you started.
Quote by troyponce
Ha, whatever. Anybody telling you a guitarist can play bass is full of ****. Guitar != bass, the transition isn't that easy in either direction unless you are content sounding like ****.

though you'd have to be an complete idiot of a guitarist and musician to pick up a bass for the first time and have absolutely no idea what to do

both instruments are as demanding as difficult as you make them to be (your goals can either be Greenday or Dream Theater...)
there are many easy bass parts, there many easy guitar parts, there are many hard bass parts, there are many hard guitar parts
Last edited by seljer at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by Hops44
Hellz yeah, Metric kicks ass.

QFT

I haven't learnt to play bass guitar as such, people just ask if I will play bass for them and I can do it... Maybe not the funky basslines, but I can get the notes right 99% of the time. For me it's quite easy, it mightn't come as easy to others. Learn some Raconteurs.
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by Stoner stone
IN SOVIET RUSSIA BAss LEARN YOUUU!! haha no but its not that different from guitar.

permission to sig?
Sigs Are For Pussies
if you want to play simple punk rock, then bass really is even easier than guitar, if you use a pick. learning how to use your fingers is harder, learning how to slap is REALLY difficult.

but i suppose for stuff from Blink182 to metallica is pretty easy if you can play guitar.
i really enjoy Ben Kenneys work from Incubus, he is an awesome bassist. particulary "stellar"

im really thinking about doing bass too but might have to wait til christmas for money for a bass
www.myspace.com/chrishausman

If you would like to add me, send me a message to let me know your from UG!

Tool - July 16
Incubus - Aug 6

^INCREDIBLE^
Trashed and Scattered by Avenged Sevenfold also has a pretty cool bassline if you're into them.
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
I have just been thinking about it too. Learning just a few RCHP bass lines would be great.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3