Poll: Should I do this epic walk?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I do this epic walk?
Yes! Do it for the lulz and bragging rights.
80 89%
Um.....WTF is the point of that?
10 11%
Voters: 90.
Page 1 of 2
The other day at work I was talking to some guys at my work about long walks we have done from place to place. Then it occurred to me; all my 'epic walks' have been very lame and in no way epic. I then decided that I needed to do a huge-ass walk from one suburb to another, just for the sake of saying I have.

I'm sure very few, if any of you know the geography of Tasmania, but I am going to pretend that some of you do. I intend walking from Bellerive to Sorell. This is about 20km, and if you include the fact that there are roads and not just one straight road, it is probably around 23km, so a fair distance to say the least. It would take me about 5 hours to complete. When I get to Sorell I will go to the local McDonalds and buy a heap of food before calling my Mum to come and drive me home.

Just so you have an idea how far it is, I have included a picture;

I would start at the end of the left beach on the far left hand side of the picture and finish where it says Sorell.

This brings me to the all-important question. Is this a good idea to spend a whole do doing a massive walk for the sheer sake of it, or does it generally make me a moron? I could do with the exercise, but then again I could spend the time at home playing guitar or doing something productive.

What should I do?
Hm, do it. McDonalds will taste good. Just make sure you don't get yourself raped along the way.

But it would be even more epic if you hopped back.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
dude, i know some people who have walked from here in Junee to Wagga which is 40k's so its not THAT hard to do.

the most I've walked is a 12km distance which took awhile.
I say go for it, just take a bag with some water, music and some snacks i guess. oh yeah and a mobile phone. Why not try and get some friends to take the walk with you? make a day out of it. or do you want the bragging rights to tell all your mates about?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
That would be SUPER Epic if you did it on a pogo-stick.

And videoed it for YouTube.

Also removing all the boring bits and make it so it only shows any funny/really epic bits.
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
Tell people you're doing it for charity, get them to donate, and buy a ****ing Gibson!
Quote by _Mayday_
Somehow; I thought it would be a better idea to show the bus driver my dick instead of my bus pass.
It should be pretty easy, i mean you are going along pavements the whole way. Yo could probably easily count on 5km/h as a walking speed under those conditions.
The exercise will do you good, unless the roads are all congested and you end up inhaling a sh*tload of exhaust fumes.
And, as has already been mentioned, avoid any really dodgy areas where you might get assraped or something.

Also removing all the boring bits and make it so it only shows any funny/really epic bits.

or fast forward...
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by ukuleleftw
Tell people you're doing it for charity, get them to donate, and buy a ****ing Gibson!

How about you actually do it for charity? I raised a decent amount of money last year by doing a 10km hill climb/walk. After I served somebody at work, I'd ask them if they wanted to give a small donation to sponsor me for the walk.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by South-of-Heaven

What if he did it on a pogo stick BACWARDS? While playing national anthems on a kazoo?
Yes. Walking is very good. I used to walk when I used to be homeless (by choice not circumstance) and I once walked across New York. It took a few days but it was fun.

Interesting days, interesting people.
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
you chose to be homeless?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by the_random_hero
How about you actually do it for charity?

Pfft, giving away money?
Why would you want to do that...
Quote by _Mayday_
Somehow; I thought it would be a better idea to show the bus driver my dick instead of my bus pass.
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
Duke of Edinburgh Gold expedition.

Do I win?

Only if you did the whole 50 miles in one day. otherwise, it's nothing special.
I went on an epic walk to mcdonalds tonight. It was only about four miles, but in this heat, and being as high as I was...
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
Quote by acrocks
One does not simply walk into Sorell

But seriously take the walk.
Hell I'd take it (if i knew the way front and back)
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
You could do it in a lot less than five hours. After some drunken shenanigans, I walked 16 miles (roughly 26 km) home which took three and a half hours.

So don't do it, they were the most boring three and a half hours I've been awake for.
I did something very similar the other day, though a bit less distance. Totally go for it.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
how many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man? 23km of road in 1 day is the answer. If u want to be a man, do it.
bring an MP3 player ( fully charged ), a small/light back pack with a few bottles of water in it, and a magazine or two ( for when you walk on long straight sections when out of the danger of traffic )

that will keep you from getting bored and passing out.

Also bring some bread or something with carbs in it, take a few bits every couple of kilometers.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
I've skiied that far before... it's a lot longer than it seems!

But do it, it might be fun/scenic. Take a camera or something.
I just realised something;

I have to go around the hill and everything that can be seen. I can't just go in a straight line.
thats not an epic walk. in belgium there is a march for 4 days, about 200 km, cross country. my uncles did that last year. now THATS an epic walk.
^ I bet they got really drunk either after or during the walk. Belgium is full of alcoholics and pedophiles and that is why I intend on moving there in a couple of years. lawl.

To threadstarter, do it. But a more epic walk would be a backpacking trip in the woods. I've walked 15 miles up a mountain one day (lots of switchbacks) and that was the most exhausted I've ever been. We gained something like 7,000 feet of elevation in one day....crazy crazy stuff.

Nature exploration > Urban exploration
I've walked that far before, it was exhausting. The fact that it rained for about 3 hours in the middle of the walk did not help me at all. Although the shower I took after that was the most refreshing thing in the world.
Quote by mydadisjewish
^ I bet they got really drunk either after or during the walk. Belgium is full of alcoholics and pedophiles and that is why I intend on moving there in a couple of years. lawl.

lulz@choo

Personally, I can't stand walking for more than half an hour or so. Why would you sacrifice personal masturbation time to walk for several hours? Unless you're going to masturbate while walking, of course..
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
one time me and my friend did a seven mile walk and had to cross two creeks and four major streets. we were all wet and smelled when we got there..

but overall it was just a great adventure.
TS I read this thread about 20 minutes ago and thought it was a fantastic idea. So I got off of UG and called my father at work.

We're going to do the same thing on some Saturday next month. We don't know exactly how far we'll walk but we're going to figure it out.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by TechnicolorBoy

Personally, I can't stand walking for more than half an hour or so. Why would you sacrifice personal masturbation time to walk for several hours? Unless you're going to masturbate while walking, of course..

wouldn't that make the road a mess?
you realize that pigging out at McDonald's would ultimately defeat the purpose of walking that far.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Quote by dreamtheater91
you realize that pigging out at McDonald's would ultimately defeat the purpose of walking that far.

Not really. Since he's doing the workout before he eats, he'll be burning straight from his stored fat instead of the energy on hand. The only way for him to possibly NOT lose weight from this would be if he ate a TON.

...To stay on topic, I want to try an epic walk.
Quote by uhh_me?
wouldn't that make the road a mess?

It probably wouldn't be noticeable unless you had huge balls and/or are capable of multiple orgasms.
Quote by tborsje
Dude you're from Tasmania, you're already not epic by default

huh?! thats where the devils come from, and they are definitely epic.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Page 1 of 2