hey

heres a new one for ya....

which amps should i look at?!

im looking for a valve combo to downsize from my Laney Gh50L halfstack. i need a decent clean sound, aswell as a nice distorted sound (which i get from my GH, but they arent dedicated seperate channels). i play alot of hard rock music, and 80s metal, but i also love other genres too, including prog, funk, blues, pop, and some shred.

my two favorite distorted tones are paul gilbert's and john sykes'.

im not a snob, as long as it has a shimmery nice clean sound, and rockin' distortion (even if it needs a boost), let me know some of your suggestions.

some suggestions have been made to me, from laney VC50's (soooo hard to get hold of!!), Laney LC-30/50, trace elliot speed twin, trace elliot trident. what are your opinions of these for my needs?

thanks for your opinions, and if anyone knows of anyone getting rid of any of the amps above, it would be much appreciated.

anything laney makes would be acceptable.
laney clean = teh sex.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Im not sure if the VC would push enough to get hard rock though^
Quote by Hakanku
Im not sure if the VC would push enough to get hard rock though^

im talking the VC50, not the VC30.

the VC50 is the combo version of the VH series head, whereas the Vc30 is a laney take on the vox AC30.

paul gilbert and mattais ekhlund use the VC50.
Quote by doddsie_105
im talking the VC50, not the VC30.

the VC50 is the combo version of the VH series head, whereas the Vc30 is a laney take on the vox AC30.

paul gilbert and mattais ekhlund use the VC50.

Wow, I never knew that, I thought the vc30 was the same as the 50, but with less wattage. I stand corrected.
Quote by Hakanku
Wow, I never knew that, I thought the vc30 was the same as the 50, but with less wattage. I stand corrected.

no worries, if only they were as easy to get hold of as the 30's
probably a vc50 if you can find one, or a tt50c if you can't. what's your budget though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
budget is totally dependant on what money i get from the sale of the GH50L. ive spent over £900 in total, and i know im not getting anywhere near that, but id like to get like £400/£450 for it, because with its upgrades etc, its totally top of the line, while at the same time, i need to sell. looking around ebay and stuff also, that price is EXTREMELY good value for what im selling compared with the much inferior amps being sold for around that money.

EDIT: i can go higher than this, but not wildly!
^ you should be able to pick up a vc50 for that... a tt50 combo is more like £650-£700 i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
probably a vc50 if you can find one, or a tt50c if you can't. what's your budget though?

+1. I got mine for £275, and I've seen them go for cheaper.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Trace elliot speed twin is discountinued if im not mistaken and they are pretty hard to find (definantely harder than vc50)

If you like Trace Elliot, I'd suggest trace elliot tramp or supertramp (dont let the name fool you), they are almost everywhere. Before you buy, make sure its tube, because there are plenty SS tramp out there as well.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

yeah i know the speed twin has been discontinued, but so has the VC50, so both are a nightmare to get hold of.

i was under the impression that the tramp series were hybrid/valvestate amps (ie tube preamp only). ill look into this however.

anyone got any opinions on the LC range from laney? what are the differences between the mark I and II series? any good for what im looking for?

cheers

EDIT: someone has told me a crate blue voodoo combo might be something to look at, any opinions here?
Last edited by doddsie_105 at Aug 10, 2007,
Quote by doddsie_105
yeah i know the speed twin has been discontinued, but so has the VC50, so both are a nightmare to get hold of.

i was under the impression that the tramp series were hybrid/valvestate amps (ie tube preamp only). ill look into this however.

anyone got any opinions on the LC range from laney? what are the differences between the mark I and II series? any good for what im looking for?

cheers

EDIT: someone has told me a crate blue voodoo combo might be something to look at, any opinions here?

VCs aren't that hard to get hold of, you just have to be patient, you get one or two come up every month.

The LCs aren't in the same league as your GH50, it'd be like going from driving a fighter jet to a Fiat. They're good amps, but not as good as what you have now.

I'm pretty sure I've recommended this to you before, but why not just get a 2x12 cab for your head?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
VCs aren't that hard to get hold of, you just have to be patient, you get one or two come up every month.

The LCs aren't in the same league as your GH50, it'd be like going from driving a fighter jet to a Fiat. They're good amps, but not as good as what you have now.

I'm pretty sure I've recommended this to you before, but why not just get a 2x12 cab for your head?

haha STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND

thanks for the heads up on the LC, i only considered it as they are available everywhere, but your opinion there is much appreciated!

i think if i dont find perhaps a VC50 or whatever in the next few weeks, im going to seriously consider the 2X12 cab.

Quote by doddsie_105
haha STOP FOLLOWING ME AROUND

thanks for the heads up on the LC, i only considered it as they are available everywhere, but your opinion there is much appreciated!

i think if i dont find perhaps a VC50 or whatever in the next few weeks, im going to seriously consider the 2X12 cab.

"We've got to stop meeting like this..."

If you really like your GH and the only issue is size, then the 2x12 would be a good idea.

Keep an eye out for a VC50 by all means though, they're great

My Music
ENGL Screamer.

'nuff said.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9