Last night, while practicing I managed to drop the metronome/ tuner (Boss) on the floor and its pretty much in unusable pieces.

I have never been happy with the Boss metronome--the click is not loud enough to be heard over a slightly amplified bass (even my 10 watt kustom).

So...before I go out and get a new metronome / tuner, anyone have a recommendation on a good, audible metronome / tuner combo under 50 USD?
A boss Dr. Beat maybe, and the tu-15?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Which model Boss we looking at so we don't recommend the one you had? And most of the time with the metronome it works if you get some earphones and plug it in one ear and listen to the metronome like that, that's how I've used electronic ones.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Korg. The TU-15 is great... if you're a drummer. I'm assuming you just want a simple click, because the TU-15 has all different beats and programmable memory and all that ****. My Korg TM-40 is great, and although the click isn't huge I can hear it over a lightly amplified bass. Not full volume but around a nice 7 on my 30 watt. Also, I have dropped this thing countless times, from astonishing heights, and it's still fine. It only costs about $20 I think. The TU-15 will cost substantially more.
Quote by sinan90
Which model Boss we looking at so we don't recommend the one you had? And most of the time with the metronome it works if you get some earphones and plug it in one ear and listen to the metronome like that, that's how I've used electronic ones.

Boss TU80.
I am coming to the realization that I'm a kindred spirit with Jeff Berlin (what a surprise there, eh?) and he and I both agree that you don't need neither a tuner nor a metronome. Your ear and foot are the perfect free tuner/metronome combo.

That's what I use.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i have a sabine Zipbeat and it can be heard great over some louder amps. it also has a headphone out and comes with a one earpiece bud that you can put in just one ear or use it to hook up to youre amp (get adapters/special cables but can get it cheap from a place like radio shack) easy wheel interface for selecting tempo and you can set it for a higher pitch click frem evry 2nd click to evry 6th click.

im pretty sure the KorgDTR2000 rack tuner comes w/ metranome
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
I am coming to the realization that I'm a kindred spirit with Jeff Berlin (what a surprise there, eh?) and he and I both agree that you don't need neither a tuner nor a metronome. Your ear and foot are the perfect free tuner/metronome combo.

That's what I use.

That's bullshit. Your ear is never perfect, and you're foot, that's just stupid. So you're saying you can program you're foot to a certain BPM? And you can make it so it never tires? I just practised with my metronome for an hour straight with it on the whole time. I guarantee my foot couldn't do that. 60x120=7200 foot taps. That's a lot.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's bullshit. Your ear is never perfect, and you're foot, that's just stupid. So you're saying you can program you're foot to a certain BPM? And you can make it so it never tires? I just practised with my metronome for an hour straight with it on the whole time. I guarantee my foot couldn't do that. 60x120=7200 foot taps. That's a lot.

I'm not going to quote all of Jeff Berlin's opinions, but there's a good debate about it on www.bassplayer.tv . I think it's very interesting that he says metronomes were originally made for composers to show the symphonies to fast to play a piece, not to practice timing. When I said use your foot as a metronome, I didn't mean it literally in the sense you need to tap each and every time, but I was saying you should really rely on your natural sense of timing and not sell yourself short. You'd be surprised how well you can keep time. You can play 120bpm without a metronome without any difficulty. I do.

About the tuning, I am really against relying on a tuner to tune. Tune by ear. Go to www.tunemybass.com and, as Jeff would say, tune your bass by ear like all the great string players have done for centuries. My band plays half step down and I can tune perfectly by ear. If you can get one note down and tune the rest using harmonics, you're set. And you'd be surprised how your playing improves, because you'll have a better recognition of notes.

Your musicianship and playing ability will improve immensely if you stop relying on devices like that. The less and less you machinery use to practice, the better you will become.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
I'm not going to quote all of Jeff Berlin's opinions, but there's a good debate about it on www.bassplayer.tv . I think it's very interesting that he says metronomes were originally made for composers to show the symphonies to fast to play a piece, not to practice timing. When I said use your foot as a metronome, I didn't mean it literally in the sense you need to tap each and every time, but I was saying you should really rely on your natural sense of timing and not sell yourself short. You'd be surprised how well you can keep time. You can play 120bpm without a metronome without any difficulty. I do.

About the tuning, I am really against relying on a tuner to tune. Tune by ear. Go to www.tunemybass.com and, as Jeff would say, tune your bass by ear like all the great string players have done for centuries. My band plays half step down and I can tune perfectly by ear. If you can get one note down and tune the rest using harmonics, you're set. And you'd be surprised how your playing improves, because you'll have a better recognition of notes.

I still think a metronome is a great thing for practising time keeping. I mean, it is invaluable, to have a computer setting the pace infallibly, it results in a great sense of time of the piece. For my own music I never practise with a metronome because I like the push and pull I can achieve but for learning another's piece it's one of the best tools you can have (other than a great tab search engine ). About tuning, if I get that one note I can do it, but I need at least one of my strings to be in tune. (Also my ear sucks)
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I still think a metronome is a great thing for practising time keeping. I mean, it is invaluable, to have a computer setting the pace infallibly, it results in a great sense of time of the piece. For my own music I never practise with a metronome because I like the push and pull I can achieve but for learning another's piece it's one of the best tools you can have (other than a great tab search engine ). About tuning, if I get that one note I can do it, but I need at least one of my strings to be in tune. (Also my ear sucks)

Jeff Berlin and I both say if you use a metronome, great, but you really don't need it to get your timing better. Even he uses a metronome, but he sets the clicks at half-time and lets them act as a 2 and a 4 so he get get the feel of backbeat better, but for timing practice, all you really need is you.

Maybe I'm lucky. I have a good ear and can tune a guitar, bass, and mandolin by ear (I use G as a note of reference). I also use PowerTab a lot, but when I write the tabs to send to the other bandmembers, I almost always know the bpm of the song before I write the tab. I say 'tss, tss, tss, tss... OK, that's around 130' and I'm usually right (or close enough).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Envy. That's all I can say.

Oh come on. Believe in yourself. Forget the machines, use what you're given, and you will be able to do those things.

Those'r probably the only words of encouragement I've even given on this forum.

[/thefitz]
Quote by Cody_Grey102
*tear* Seriously, I can keep the beat pretty good, and I can tune by ear if I have one string already. But, if you give me the simplest of songs and you said, play it by ear within one hour or I'll shoot you. I would say, shoot me already this is going to be a waste of an hour.
Quote by thefitz
Oh come on. Believe in yourself. Forget the machines, use what you're given, and you will be able to do those things.

Those'r probably the only words of encouragement I've even given on this forum.

[/thefitz]

Trust the force Luke....

Just a word of note, most drummers that play with Berlin say its hell on wheels--fun, but challenging.

Timing and pitch for most people is not innate, its learned. And for myself, training on a metronome and a tuner is the fastest and most disciplined way to do so.
For tuning I either just do it off harmonics from the G string if I'm practicing on my own, in my jazz bands I take a G from the piano and tune to that. For metronome, I set my tick-tock metronome for half speed and do it 2 and 4, really helps with getting a swing feel for walking lines.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I usually use harmonics once I tune the E. However, I have been using the tuner lately to test my accuracy and intonation on the fretless.

According to my in house percussionist, my timing is OK but could be slightly more consistent through out a song. A metronome is a hard but necessary taskmaster in that respect.
Quote by anarkee
Boss TU80.

I bought one, and you're right. The metronome is useless apart for very quiet practise.

I usually use this Korg one as it is compact.

It's pretty good with some rhythmical functions. The click is good.

Though the best one I have is the Seiko SQ50, though I have an older version than shown in the pic. The click is excellent. Nice and punchy.