Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I am looking for a GREAT first time beginners setup. I have seen Squire Strats and Ibanez beginner packs and am not too impressed with the sound or the quality.

What I am looking for is a nice guitar for around $400.00 or less, and a nice amp to go with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I do like the newest Ibanez Shred Hed Pack, but have never heard anything about that model of guitar

Here is the one I am talking about.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-IJX121-BKN.html

Anyone have any ideas about this one?

Give me the reason for your preference!! Thanks!
What kind of music are you going to be playing, ideally?
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
It looks pretty cool, altough im quite sure the amp will be crap. I can't believe the guitar has 25 frets though =/.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

i spent just over 400 on my setup, its an esp/ltd h-50 and a crate 10 watt. great sound from the crate, and the guitar is pretty damn good. might just replace the pups.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Guitar for 400 or less or guitar AND amp for four hundred or less?

edit:
Quote by ItWillDo
I can't believe the guitar has 25 frets though =/.

It doesn't...?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Last edited by merfsullivan at Aug 9, 2007,
Heres what you need to do:get a used guitar off of ebay for way less, then buy a Roland Cube or Vox AD15VT as an amp. You could get a used MIM Strat and an amp for 400.
Quote by ItWillDo
It looks pretty cool, altough im quite sure the amp will be crap. I can't believe the guitar has 25 frets though =/.

it only has 24
k, here's the perfect begginiers setup:

Fat Strat , versatile. You need versatile because you don't know how your style and influences might change as you progress through your guitar journey.

Vox Valvetronix or Roland Cube- Great amps with tonnes of different settings. I'd suggest 30 watts for a beginner; enough to jam with a drummer untill you move on to bigger things, but not overkill.

EDIT: Your budget is $400 guitar, $200 amp, try this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Couple of bucks over, but well worth it in the long run.
Last edited by Vermintide at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by mydogpoops
Heres what you need to do:get a used guitar off of ebay for way less, then buy a Roland Cube or Vox AD15VT as an amp. You could get a used MIM Strat and an amp for 400.

^seconded
"...and I've never been very smart, but I connect you with your shadow"
from "Untitled #11" by John Frusciante
OR you could go for way less money and just take the jumpstart from ibanez, it's the other guitar. My friend just got it and he's not complaining and I have it as well (gonna upgrade soon though after 2,5 years of playing) Even with your 400 dollar setup you're gonna want something different after a while after you're good enough and start noticing it's actually not so good quality. So my advice is, take a starter pack then upgrade big after some years. But the advice ^ is actually very good, just will cost you some hundred bucks more and you'll still complain after a year(s)
Quote by reddskinnfan
I will be playing classic rock mostly and some of the newer stuff!

My suggestion would be right up your alley then, take a look
Quote by merfsullivan
Guitar for 400 or less or guitar AND amp for four hundred or less?

edit:

It doesn't...?

Guitar for $400.00 or less, and amp for about $200.00
Quote by mydogpoops

What's a MIM Strat?
Quote by Vermintide

I like that no too shabby. Anyone have good insight into the battle of the brands. I like ESP and Ibanez, are they more shotty than Fender and Epiphone/Gibson???
Well you don't compare brands, you compare guitar to guitar... well in your price range there's a lot of variety on what's the better brand. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong though, I just happen to wander around and read a lot now that I want a new guitar aswell :p
Quote by reddskinnfan
I like that no too shabby. Anyone have good insight into the battle of the brands. I like ESP and Ibanez, are they more shotty than Fender and Epiphone/Gibson???

Well, they are mainly more focused on more hard edged, metal-ish styles.

I think as a beginner, and saying you'll mainly be playing classic/modern rock, it'd be a better idea to stay with the tried and true Fender and Gibson models.

Athe MIM Stratocaster I showed you would be an excellent place to start. Very versatile because of the pickup arrangement, and great build quality in my experience.
Quote by Vermintide
Well, they are mainly more focused on more hard edged, metal-ish styles.

I think as a beginner, and saying you'll mainly be playing classic/modern rock, it'd be a better idea to stay with the tried and true Fender and Gibson models.

Athe MIM Stratocaster I showed you would be an excellent place to start. Very versatile because of the pickup arrangement, and great build quality in my experience.

Are the MIM's the Squire's??? Are you saying they are Made in Mexico?
Quote by reddskinnfan
Are the MIM's the Squire's??? Are you saying they are Made in Mexico?

They aren't squiers. They are real Fenders. They are assembled in Mexico, but they use all American hardware and parts.
I completely agree with Vermintide, a Fender Fat Strat is a great guitar to start and will last you a while. I agree with the Valvetronix too, although maybe you want the AD15VT rather than the AD30VT. It's a little bit less power but it'll keep you under budget and let you get the sunburst on the strat if you want (it's about $30 more for sunburst.)
Quote by Vermintide
They aren't squiers. They are real Fenders. They are assembled in Mexico, but they use all American hardware and parts.

Can you post a link for one of them?
Anyone else have any other ideas. I like Fender but I was looking for some other models to compare against once I go to the Guitar Center! Help is appreciated! Thanks!
Well basically have a look around. Try anything in your price range, you never know what you'll find.

For the style you say you'll like to play, have a look at some Telecasters, som Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs, and a fre Ibanez RGs and whatnot. You never know what you ill like best
You can get much better equipment if you stay away from "paks" and buy the guitar and amp separately.
Quote by Vermintide
Well basically have a look around. Try anything in your price range, you never know what you'll find.

For the style you say you'll like to play, have a look at some Telecasters, som Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs, and a fre Ibanez RGs and whatnot. You never know what you ill like best

Well I was actually looking for other people's opinions. Not saying yours aren't valid, but I would like to hear the flip side to the coin man. Thanks for the info so far I have taken it into consideration. I want to know if Ibanez's, ESP's, Epiphone's have good comparable guitars in the same price range that may be a better fit for me.

I am in the US, I like all kinds of music. I would prefer to get a beginner setup since this is my first electric (not saying a beginner "pak"), but a nice guitar with a low action and not a long of string noise. I know I won't get a WONDERFUL guitar for a beginner "pak" but that is where I would like to start the search. I can always mod later and the amp is the largest part of the equation.

My favs are classic rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin), 80's Rock (Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Twisted Sister), Metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden), Alternative (Weezer, Oasis, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Better than Ezra), and some newer stuff.
Quote by uldhppi
You can get much better equipment if you stay away from "paks" and buy the guitar and amp separately.

Do you suggest any specific guitar? I am still too new at this to know what is going to work best for me if I go to a store. I will end up walking out with a "pak" anyway! I need some guidance! Does anyone else have any input?
For $500 total? Peavey Valveking Royal 8 or Crate Palamino tube combos, both $200 list price. MIM strats around $300. For Les Paul style Ibanez ARC100 or an Agile both for around $300. If you want a modeling amp the Roland Cubes are the best in my opinion. Theres lots of things on the used market but I understand you may not feel confident enough to go that route yet (unless you have a knowledgable guitar player friend.)
how about an ephiphone les paul?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

Agile could be a good option. But if you want to try the guitar out before you buy, then agile might be out of the window. It is very hard to get your hands on one other than buying online.

Yeah royal 8 and Crate palamino should be considered. But i would still recommand the cube and vox as modeling amps can be a lot more versatile.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Where can I get MIM Fenders? I do not see those anywhere, all I see if Fenders and Squires on all the sites! Anyone have any dealings with American Musical Supply?
GC should have plenty of them. But imo a les paul would be more suitable in your suitation seeing you like classic rock.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

MIM just means Made in Mexico. Usually the Fenders in the $300 price range.
Quote by p.stick
GC should have plenty of them. But imo a les paul would be more suitable in your suitation seeing you like classic rock.

This is true that I am a classic rock fan!!! I also like other styles so I would be inclined to buy something that is a little more flexible!

PLEASE HELP!

I need some guitar models that are comparable in about the same price range from ESP, Epiphone, Ibanez, Fender, and others...
Quote by Latin_Morello
it only has 24

The 25th fret looks finished to me.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Possible guitars for you to check out:

Ephiphone: Les paul standard, SG400 (both great for classic rock, the later being more metal orientated)
Ibanez: None
Fender: MIM fat strat (most versatile), Squier Espirit (best squier avaible)
ESP: see ibanez
Agile: hard to find but the AL3000+ would be quality
Yamaha: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077 like fender but cheaper and better value for the money

Just remembered, you should really check this one out http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Floyd-Rose-Original-Series-DSOT3-Electric-Guitar?sku=514381

The OFL along is worth $200.

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
Possible guitars for you to check out:

Ephiphone: Les paul standard, SG400 (both great for classic rock, the later being more metal orientated)
Ibanez: None
Fender: MIM fat strat (most versatile), Squier Espirit (best squier avaible)
ESP: see ibanez
Agile: hard to find but the AL3000+ would be quality
Yamaha: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077 like fender but cheaper and better value for the money

Just remembered, you should really check this one out http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Floyd-Rose-Original-Series-DSOT3-Electric-Guitar?sku=514381

The OFL along is worth $200.

Why no on the Ibanez and ESP? Are they shotty? I hear from a lot of people that they are great guitars, especially ESP's! Is it because they are foreign? Need more info! How can I be educated as to why I shouldn't get one if all you say is NO?
Last edited by reddskinnfan at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by ItWillDo

The 25th fret looks finished to me.

Is there something wrong with this guitar? It has a standard tremelo! Insight???
Because ESPs are way out of your budget. I think you are talking about LTD/ESP. 1. they are not as good as ESP. 2. with $400, you can only get the lower end of LTD/ESPs which are overpriced and poor quality.

Ibanez are made for metal not classic rock. And another reason is that the trem on the cheaper ibanez is the crappest thing ever existed!

EDIT, in response to the question you asked above, that guitar has a fixed bridge.

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
Because ESPs are way out of your budget. I think you are talking about LTD/ESP. 1. they are not as good as ESP. 2. with $400, you can only get the lower end of LTD/ESPs which are overpriced and poor quality.

Ibanez are made for metal not classic rock. And another reason is that the trem on the cheaper ibanez is the crappest thing ever existed!

EDIT, in response to the question you asked above, that guitar has a fixed bridge.

So is the one above ok? Or is there a reason I shouldn't look into a fixed bridge? I do see that the ESP's I looked at were LTD's... I am guessing those are like Fender Squires? So your thought is Fender MIM Fat Strat, Fender MIM HSS Strat, Epiphone Les Paul, and ????
Page 1 of 2