so i'm thinking about getting a 7 string for mostly metal. i just love the low end chunk it gives and the extra descending scale length and i'm just in love with 7's right now. im just worrying about hitting the lower string when i play, of course i wont be playing chords or anything if i am ill find a way to mute it but im just worryied about it getting in the way. could anyone tell me other problems i might encounter before i get used to it. other tips would be favorable.

thanks lots
it won't be a problem once you get used to it. after you play your 7 for a week (alternate between that and your 6), it'll be natural.

the only problem i've had with the 7 is the low B that came with it was a bit... thin. so it'd wobble if you hit it hard, and sometimes gets stuck under the edge of a pickup. go heavy bottom on the 7 - you'll be happy you did.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Problems you'll encounter:
1) Reading tabs-you'll have to rework your thinking just a tad when reading tabs meant for 6 strings(because at first you'll get the strings confused)

2)Hitting the B string:: THis completely depends on your picking style. I mute my B string with the end of my finger so that it doesn't sound when I'm doing fast riffing on the E string, but otherwise if you have a tight enough picking style, you wont find this is a problem. It'll improve your technique either way.

3)AMp problems: Can your amp handle the low end nicely?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
In addition to was has been said, 7 string necks are not for everyone. Pick up the model you are planning on buying, and play it at the store thoroughly.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.