ok i just got a cheap acoustic guitar (plan to move on to electric once i can afford it) and right now all i can really play is the basic riff in smoke on the water... how should i practice? got any good exercises or anything? should i try to learn songs out of my league to try to get better?
try learning ironman by black sabbath, it pretty much has all the basics in it.

also learn all the chords you can. you should always be challenging yourself.
can you point out any good resources that i can use? (UG lessons, youtube lessons, software, books, etc.)

o yea and although i really like guitar im planning on making bass my main instrument (guitarists are too common IMO so also what are some ways to prepare for bass? (i dont own 1 yet but i should in about 3 months or less
can you point out any good resources that i can use?

yes

UG lessons, as you said. Guitar Pro is very helpful, and powertab is good to. And just go to a book or music store and look for instructive guitar books, I've seen people say that Guitars for Dummies has really helped them.

There are a lot of guitarists, but that shouldn't stop you from playing, just play for yourself. But Bass is rad too, as soon as I get more of a feel on guitar I too am gonna learn bass. Sorry but I don't really have any starting tips for that lol.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by dwillwin
can you point out any good resources that i can use? (UG lessons, youtube lessons, software, books, etc.)

o yea and although i really like guitar im planning on making bass my main instrument (guitarists are too common IMO so also what are some ways to prepare for bass? (i dont own 1 yet but i should in about 3 months or less

Go to some kind of instrument store and look for books with simple songs in it. You'll find plenty that you already know and chords included. It's very important that you learn the "open" chords (especially C,D,E,G,A and their minor versions, called open because you play some strings open, that is without fretting them) and to change smoothly between these. They're the simplest chords and it's very easy to just pick some of those chords at random and ending up with a chord progression that you can write a melody (i.e. a song) over.

Unless you want to play the bass with a pick, simple chord arpeggios are a good way to learn. Finger a chord, then play the strings in order - the easiest example is E minor: Don't fret any strings, but play the 6th string (low E) with your thumb, then the 3rd (G) with your index, then the 2nd (B) with your middle and then the 1st (high E) with your 1st. Then go downwards again, so that you play the strings like this: E-G-B-E-B-G-E-B-G-E-G-B... And that's an Em arpeggio. Try doing the same with a G chord, or an Am - but at the Am, play the 5th string (because you don't play the 6th string in an Am chord) rather than the 6th. Get the right hand sorted for this kind of playing, and you'll probably be better fit for playing the bass with your fingers - which is basically the same as guitar arpeggios, but only on one string. You can only play so many notes per second with one finger on the bass, so bassists use two or three (like, index-middle-index-middle... or index-middle-ring-index...) to achieve higher speed.
I'm a communist. Really.
My advice at such an early stage is chromatics. If you are like I was, your fingers are probably pretty "retarded" at this point. Chromatics will build finger strength and help your coordination.

Chromatics are simple, just start at the low E and pick a fret. 1-2-3-4 next string 1-2-3-4, next...1-2-3-4 and so on. When you get to the high e, then go backwards 4-3-2-1, previous string 4-3-2-1, previous string 4-3-2-1. Do this until you are ready to scream. When you are ready to scream, suck it up and do some more lol.

This will build your speed and put you on "easy street" when you start on the Pentatonic scale (I'm assuming you will be like 90% out there and go on to scales). You are going to find that there are no short cuts to this and you will eventually need this anyway; and probably find this for yourself.

Good luck to you, guitar is a bitch of a mistress but will reward you when you least expect it

Chris
I picked up "learn and master guitar" right after I bought my guitar a few weeks back. It's a fairly pricey dvd set but so far I can say that I'm very happy with the investment. In just a few weeks I feel like I've made a ton of progress. A quick google search will lead you to reviews and and the site if you want to research it further. Again, it's pricey but I'm glad I bought it.

You can also try guitar.about.com . There are a few beginner lessons on there that will help. I used them for a few days while I was waiting on the dvds to get here. While it's nothing compared to how good the video's are it does cover the basics of chords, notes, strumming patterns, etc.

Also try justinguitar.com . Not my favorite but you may like it. Has lessons, tabs, videos on how to play certain stuff, etc etc. Definately worth a look.
Learn the following chord shapes;

Major
Minor
Dominant
Major 7
Minor 7

And you'll have a good arsenal to work with on an acoustic.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe