hey,

i'm going up to my cottage for a week, and wondered if it would be possible to make a working canoe out of a fallen tree to kill time

anyone know if it's at all possible?

thanks
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
ever see waynes world 2?
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
whats the right type of log?

and what would i need beside a hatchet and couple sanders?

and ya, i've seen waynes world 2
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Yes, but you'll get wet.

I saw Ray Meirs ( I don't know how to spell it ) do it once.
Then they'll take you to Cloughprior and shove you in the ground
But you'll stick your head back out and shout "we'll have another round"!
Quote by SG thrasher
A canoe shaped log.

Has to be magical also

Fender Strat
Alexi Laiho ESP

Quote by Doolittle
one time i masturbated into a pumpkins. needless to say
PWNED

Follower of the UG Faith, PM me to join!
i have no problem with getting wet, i just want something to do for a week

and i'll have a pretty big selection of trees to use, there was just a big storm that took out 20something trees
Quote by Kensai

I guess it would take ages to get it all hollow...

But hey, if you want to do it, more power to you!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

well theres a guy in waynes world 2 making a canoe out of a log
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
I see dugout canoes everyday where I work, here along the west coast of Africa (seriously). They choose a tree of suitable size, cut it down of course, then they let it dry out much like you'd do with fire wood. I can't believe I saw this question on a guitar site. Anyway, they then build a small fire on top of the log, let it burn for some time until the top is charred. The fire is then swept off the log and the charred portion is scraped away. I'm not sure what would be the best tool for this, I'd imagine a hatchet would be the best initially. You repeat this process until you've removed enough wood to form the interior of the little boat. You want to keep enough of the original wood intact to give some strength to the hull. This is a very labour intensive and time consuming project. I don't think this is a weekend project. Good luck if you decide to try this. ::type
You'll probably want the log to be big enough to hold your body...
Call me Roche.

Quote by Dyers
wut is a luthier? im assuming it has to do with the luthern church
thanks for all the advice n2dablue, im gonna be there a week, so hopefully i can get a good part of the work done atleast
Quote by Kensai

make sure you take pics, cos y'know, pics or it didnt happen blah blah blah flame flame flame
of course, if i can find suitable materials, i'll make a day by day photo journal thing
Quote by Kensai

you have to burn out the middle part of the trunk
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
you can turn a log into a canoe, yes, but can you turn a canoe into a log? i think not!
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
so, it turns out theres a fire ban up there, so do i just hollow it out with a hatchet?

or is there another better way?
Quote by Kensai

make sure to get the shape right, else it'll sink..

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

employ a beaver army to help you, maybe you could start your own franchise of canoe's made by beavers
You have to be a member to cut trees for a canoe. Duh.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
its supposedly pretty dry right now, but if it rains, i'll be able to use the fire technique hopefully
Quote by Kensai