Hey guys,

I recently bought a Fender 50's classic strat and hardcase. Because I managed to get a good price, and I had some cash spare I want to upgrade some parts.

So far i've considered:

New pickups (Bare knuckle Apache's)
CTS pots and orange drop caps
Fender bridge Ashtray cover (for the 50's look)

Can anyone suggest some other upgrades?

I know there is a limit to how much it can be upgraded, so around £80 for upgrades would be good.

Cheers,

Darren
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
1st. How much did you pay for it?

2nd. Pics or I don't believe you have it

3rd. I thought it was only teles that had an ashtray bridge cover?

4th. Won't BKPs put you waaaaaaaay over 80 pounds?

5th. Upgrading pots wiring/shielding the pickup cavity would probably be worthwhile if it hums and such.

6th. I don't know what kind of nut comes on it, but if it's plastic, maybe upgrade it to graphite or bone.

7th. Maybe look at the bridge? I think it has a 6-point trem when a 2 point would be more stable (I think)- but I don't know if it's a direct swap or what.

8th. If there's tuning problems, then look at the tuners? Maybe swap them out for locking ones.

That was a pretty long post.

And sorry this is more questions that suggestions. I really want one
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Aug 9, 2007,
Don't do a thing.

For that amount there's ntohing you can do to actually improve it.

Instead just get a really nice comfy strap, and some acessories like a cleaning kit etc.

Out of curiosity, what amp do you have? You could start saving for a better one to match the guitar
Quote by Vermintide
Don't do a thing.

For that amount there's ntohing you can do to actually improve it.

Instead just get a really nice comfy strap, and some acessories like a cleaning kit etc.

Out of curiosity, what amp do you have? You could start saving for a better one to match the guitar

+1'd.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by gibsonpenguin
1st. How much did you pay for it?

2nd. Pics or I don't believe you have it

3rd. I thought it was only teles that had an ashtray bridge cover?

4th. Won't BKPs put you waaaaaaaay over 80 pounds?

5th. Upgrading pots wiring/shielding the pickup cavity would probably be worthwhile if it hums and such.

6th. I don't know what kind of nut comes on it, but if it's plastic, maybe upgrade it to graphite or bone.

7th. Maybe look at the bridge? I think it has a 6-point trem when a 2 point would be more stable (I think)- but I don't know if it's a direct swap or what.

8th. If there's tuning problems, then look at the tuners? Maybe swap them out for locking ones.

That was a pretty long post.

And sorry this is more questions that suggestions. I really want one

1st. I managed to get one for £440 with a hiscox hardcase.

2nd. I just paid for it, but it's on order from fender (I didn't want the sunburst colour)

3rd. Yep, strats do have the brdige covers, it's just most online picture's dont show them fitted.

4th. Nope, BNK's aren't £80! They will be bought with money from a different fund.

5th. I'm going to upgrade the pots to CTS ones, and use aluminum foil to shield the cavities.

6th. Going to take a look at bone nuts, see how much my local can fit one in for. Dont fancy fitting in a fender LSR to the maple board, not on a new guitar!

7th. A 2 point bridge would be nice, but they are rather expensive and i'm not sure it's a direct fit.

8th. I did try to find some Gotoh vintage locking tuners, but couldn't find any.

The amp i'm using is a vox AD30VT, but cant really upgrade due to room size.

BTW this is the 6th time i've had to write this out, submitting reply crashes explorer
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591

BTW this is the 6th time i've had to write this out, submitting reply crashes explorer

get mozilla firefox homie
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
get mozilla firefox homie

Might do, but I like the explorer interface

Yay, works now!
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^^ After googling, you're right. But I think the ashtray cover looks weird on strats. Love it on a tele though.

What color did you get?

And you could upgrade your amp to a small tube combo. Like a Laney VC15 or something?

But yeah, on the whole, the guitar seems pretty stunning without any upgrades. At least to me.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^^ After googling, you're right. But I think the ashtray cover looks weird on strats. Love it on a tele though.

What color did you get?

And you could upgrade your amp to a small tube combo. Like a Laney VC15 or something?

But yeah, on the whole, the guitar seems pretty stunning without any upgrades. At least to me.

Went for the Daphne blue finish with maple neck. From what i've seen of it, it looks ace

I can get laney amps at suppliers prices (got a Laney RB-8 bass amp).

You've got to play it to realise how good it was, the neck is glossy which I like and the frets are thin. Some people like it, some dont but I love the one I played. Just hope my one is as good
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Trust me, I know how you feel, I played one at Guitar Center and loved it. The Daphne Blue really does look sexy. I'm GASing for one really badly, but can't really justify the 600-odd dollar purchase.

And a maple neck is the only way to go for a strat IMO (also, on the 50's strat that's the only neck option you have anyway)
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Trust me, I know how you feel, I played one at Guitar Center and loved it. The Daphne Blue really does look sexy. I'm GASing for one really badly, but can't really justify the 600-odd dollar purchase.

And a maple neck is the only way to go for a strat IMO (also, on the 50's strat that's the only neck option you have anyway)

I've never seem the daphne blue in person on a strat, I hope it's as nice as i've heard

Yeah chose maple because the sunburst one had it, and it was perfect (par the colour)

Haggle them down at GC, you wont regret buying one.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
^It's not that I can't afford it, I have enough for one, it's just that I already have like 5 guitars, and I feel like I should be saving my money for other things that may come up/be more important, since I'm in school and stuff.
Hey, I had 4 guitars and i've sold 2 recently. I sold the low end ones, and the money I sold them for paid for this one. You can never have enough guitars! (so I keep telling myself!)
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!