Page 1 of 3
just a rant...

Well, my dad wants me to quit guitar. Last year, he says i don't play enough and now, i play everyday. last week, he said i have gone crazy because i play guitar everyday..WTF? then earlier today, he said to me, if you're bored go watch T.V. or something, all you ever do is play guitar. i love guitar, even if its just playing chromatics, i love the sound the guitar makes and the feel of having one, and being to play it. Anyone have parents like this? he expect to pick up guitar like once a month because he doesn't want me to waste the 200 dollar i spent on my gear..

By the way, i'm 13, so should i listen to him, since people say you should listen to your parents, but i love guitar too much, and if i don't play guitar for a month... i'll have to go back to using the computer everyday and just sitting in from of the screen from boredom

Thanks for reading..
Play really loud. it will fire his chair all the way to Africa, where he will watch micheal jackson participate in a tribal dance, while singing about the futility of racism.
tell him to shut up, seriously, and just keep on doing it
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Just keep playing, and if he doesn't let you, throw your guitar at his face. My parents encourage me to play the guitar so I really don't know what to say.
Do you play with your amp or not? If you do, just.. don't. Play quietly and up in your room away from the TV .
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
So your dad doesn't want you to waste your money you spent on equipment by only allowing you to play once a month...

Thats borderline retarded.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Don't quit but if I were you I'd cut down a little bit just to keep him happy.
just keep playing, tell your parents to shut up, its your passion and at least your doing something constuctive. whats watching tv gunna do for you?
drink drive, smoke fly.

im really a safe driver
Work out half of the time and play guitar the other half. That way, you can develop guitar skills while becoming a sex machine - instant stardom.

Nice advice for a 13 year old, eh?
mmmk.
my dad was to tell me my guitar waste a waste of time and money, i still play every day and now i think he's just accpeted it
yeah i play with my amp... set at volume 3 on a 10 watt solid state, gain at like 4. so its not that loud. i close my door to be sure he cant hear it down stairs... at night, i just play with out an amp.
Talk to him. Debate don´t start arguing like a moron. I´m sure he will understand that you really like to play guitar.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Meh. I'll just keep playing.

I moved out 4 years ago.

My father hates that I'm a musician. I'm 19 and I've been playing for 8 years. **** my GrandPa was a musician (HIS FATHER). I never understood why he would hate my hobby. and I never will.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Alright, ill take some of the advice, most likely the debating one, when he come in here and tells me stop palying again
idk what to say.if mine ever told me to stop i would tell 'em shut up in their face, but mine want me to get better.of course they've only given me $130 for some crappy fender acoustic ive had for 2 years(im only 14).
if he says it again tell him to SHUTUP!
Quote by shtiming
yeah i play with my amp... set at volume 3 on a 10 watt solid state, gain at like 4. so its not that loud. i close my door to be sure he cant hear it down stairs... at night, i just play with out an amp.

You might want to play it safe and play at no volume for a while. If your dad still questions you, confront/talk to him about it. If you enjoy it and it's not annoying why stop you?
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Quote by MightyAl
Play really loud. it will fire his chair all the way to Africa, where he will watch micheal jackson participate in a tribal dance, while singing about the futility of racism.

Pfft, that'll never happen.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Explain to your father that guitar is a learned skill that will better you as a person, and that watching the television will, in fact, make you stupider.

Most parents would be rather thrilled that their children choose music over television, which does very little to build character. That's screwed up, man.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
Explain to your father that guitar is a learned skill that will better you as a person, and that watching the television will, in fact, make you stupider.

Most parents would be rather thrilled that their children choose music over television, which does very little to build character. That's screwed up, man.

I take it you watch a ton of television then?
Terms and Conditions apply.
^Amen.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
my parents are supportive of me playing guitar especially my dad, he gave me his only two guitars his Les Paul and his sigma, and they where my first two guitars, the sigma was my first acoustic and the LP was my first electric. My mom and dad do get pissed off when I play too loudly and the line I always use is " well I could be doing, speed, pot or salvia right now with my friends." That always shuts them up, but they are always hesitant to let me go to a friends house, I wonder why?
Quote by Paul Lambeth
You might want to play it safe and play at no volume for a while. If your dad still questions you, confront/talk to him about it. If you enjoy it and it's not annoying why stop you?

Its probably the fact that he doesn't want me involved in music, and wants me to take up computers or something like that.. i used to hang around computer all the time, but i got bored. seems like guitar is the only thing that keeps me interested din something.
My parents encourage me to play guitar, so I don't know what to do.

Maybe listen to him, quit, then get all emo about it, then he'll realise you quitting was a mistake.
Quote by shtiming
Its probably the fact that he doesn't want me involved in music, and wants me to take up computers or something like that.. i used to hang around computer all the time, but i got bored. seems like guitar is the only thing that keeps me interested din something.

Are you bored now?
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
^^

by that i meant all day, everyday. not while i'm playing guitar at the same time
thats one of the most ****ed up things ive ever heard, you love it? then keep playing, christ, if your father thinks playing guitar is a waste of time, then hes a ****ing moron, theres nothing sweeter than being able to turn your emotion into music...seriously, **** him, keep playing, besides, you should be playing guitar for yourown well being, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about it
say this: "god, why are you breathing so much? you do that like every second of every day!"
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Maybe you really, really suck and it's pissing him off?

Just kidding. If you enjoy, it keep playing. He shouldn't be allowed to take happiness away from you.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
tell your dad that you'll stop playing guitar and sell it and buy drugs with the money.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
actually you should be told by dio to leave kickapoo and go to a land called hollywood where you will meet KG and form the worlds greatest band.
sup?
Ive never heard of a parent discouraging a musical instrument. you might have to kill him
Quote by PieceOfMind666
tell your dad that you'll stop playing guitar and sell it and buy drugs with the money.

In all seriousness, that would work. Just don't sound like you actually mean it. But sound like that's the other option most teenagers bored at home would do - which is completely true.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Quote by ldl67
actually you should be told by dio to leave kickapoo and go to a land called hollywood where you will meet KG and form the worlds greatest band.

dude, no one cares about the worlds greatest band. People want the worlds "mos awesome" band.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Page 1 of 3