Ok so i've been palying guitar about a year and a half now (never took any kind of theory) and i've only really learned 2 scales pentatonic major and minor.... the reson i haven't learned any other is because i wanted to really get a good feel for those scales before i moved on to something else so i decided to learn the normal minor and major scales.... so i put on some metallica song that was in A minor and tried to play with it but it just didn't sound right...... Whats wrong? i know the scale's right..is it just that i've been playing solely penatonic scales so my ear isn't used to it or is there something i should know about playing in a minor scale?
Quote by silhouettica
in my opinion, the only reason that dean and BC Rich guitars are so popular is because the people who play only want them for the pointy parts to stab people (such as their singer, or that guy from fall out boy)
Maybe it modulates. Was the song "One?"
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
^ what song was it? only a handful i can think of in A minor for metallica

edit: 'one' is in b minor modulating to G major then to E minor for the end.
Quote by Nemesis260
Maybe it modulates. Was the song "One?"

it was unforgiven
Quote by silhouettica
in my opinion, the only reason that dean and BC Rich guitars are so popular is because the people who play only want them for the pointy parts to stab people (such as their singer, or that guy from fall out boy)
Im sure E minor is alot more common for metallica...

EDIT: Oh right, well then it should sound right, check your tuning?
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

whats the normal minor scale? I thought there were only pentatonic, harmonic etc.
natural minor..... idk it just doesn't sound right guitar is in tune and it just sounds wrong..
Quote by silhouettica
^ it shouldn't, maybe you're playing the scale wrong LOL, A minor is A B C D E F G. i jam with that song all the time so it is definately in a minor.
Quote by z4twenny
^ it shouldn't, maybe you're playing the scale wrong LOL, A minor is A B C D E F G. i jam with that song all the time so it is definately in a minor.

yeah thats what im playing... i guess its just because i've done nothing but pentatonic for so long
Quote by silhouettica