I got some cash, thinking about buying an amp. Any suggestions? Budget is roughly £500, however I can save up some more if it is really worth it. Tube or SS, I don't really care as long it's good quality. Going used or new, doesn't matter.

I'm into metal and shred primarily. Bands that I listen to are Megadeth, Lamb of God, Testament, Slayer, Dream Theater, Opeth, etc. And shred stuff, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Yngwie, PG, etc. An ideal rhythm tone is like Megadeth's RIP sound, to me that sounds bloody brilliant! As for a solo lead tone, something like Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman. Tone to die for!

I don't really intend on playing live (although it is a possibility), but I do enjoy jamming with friends often so I want it at least loud enough to compete with a drummer.

Any suggestions?
If you can get a Laney GH50L and a cab for £500 you will be sorted. Paul Gilbert uses the 100 watt GH100L. They have the Marshall-on-steroids tone that will get you that Megadeth crunch.

You might have to get either the amp or cab used to get under £500 though. Go for a 2x12 cab, 4x12 is probably a bit unnecessary. Theres a 2x12 Framus on thomann.de for £200, get a used GH50L for under £300 (they're 400 new) and you're set.

Heres a really good video of the VH100R which is the two channel version, they're pretty much the same but some people say the GHs sound slightly better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPkQ1_t9OQ

Edit: Opeth also use them.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
the laney is a great idea, also, you should check out an ENGL screamer or thunder combo.

www.rocksolidamps.com has clips.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^Thanks mate, I'll look into Laney. The only Laneys I've seen in the shops in the city centre are the VC / LC combos which I assume are a bit more vintage sounding. I'm not really interested in getting a half stack mainly because it will be a bastard to carry it anywhere and I'll have to look harder for 2 good deals! The VH100R sounds great though, a bit expensive. However, I could just save up haha.

I'm really interested in ENGL amps (a shop has some Screamer 50's in stock) and I might go try it out. Can they pull off a good metal tone however? The soundclips sound kinda more rocky / hard rocky.
Quote by Mwoit
^Thanks mate, I'll look into Laney. The only Laneys I've seen in the shops in the city centre are the VC / LC combos which I assume are a bit more vintage sounding. I'm not really interested in getting a half stack mainly because it will be a bastard to carry it anywhere and I'll have to look harder for 2 good deals! The VH100R sounds great though, a bit expensive. However, I could just save up haha.

I'm really interested in ENGL amps (a shop has some Screamer 50's in stock) and I might go try it out. Can they pull off a good metal tone however? The soundclips sound kinda more rocky / hard rocky.

ENGL are primarily a metal amp company. i've never tried one but all user accounts attest to the screamers ability to pull of metal tones, very metal tones.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^Ah right, that's good then. I heard the soundclip of the Thunder putting out For The Love Of God and I was pretty impressed with that. Which is more ideal? Thunder or Screamer?
Engl is amazing for metal but the combos will set you back more than £500, closer to £650-700 new. You might strike it lucky with a secondhand deal.

Edit: Thomann.de has the thunder 50 watt Engl combo for £522.
Quote by Mwoit
^Ah right, that's good then. I heard the soundclip of the Thunder putting out For The Love Of God and I was pretty impressed with that. Which is more ideal? Thunder or Screamer?

depends, the thunder is more thrash/80's voiced, not as much gain. the screamer is more voiced for shred and modern metal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
depends, the thunder is more thrash/80's voiced, not as much gain. the screamer is more voiced for shred and modern metal.

though not really modern metal as in mesa boogie style nu-metal
they're both voiced to be pretty versatile overall, not aimed as exclusively toward metal as something like their Fireball is

and if it'd be any help to your decision, Mikael from Opeth also uses a Laney GH. And like mentioned, Paul Gilbert.
It'd be great for all the thrash type stuff you listed tii
Quote by seljer
though not really modern metal as in mesa boogie style nu-metal
they're both voiced to be pretty versatile overall, not aimed as exclusively toward metal as something like their Fireball is

well yeah, but how else would you describe how the screamer and thunder are different?

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i can't see you getting a screamer for your budget (maybe unless you go second hand). would be worth a try.

For the RIP sound, engl (probably screamer for your budget), laney, marshall would all be worth a look. it's quite a bright, and not too modern, tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i can't see you getting a screamer for your budget

Quote by Dave_Mc
(probably screamer for your budget),

Doh!
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I think Dave meant new would be out of his budget. I'm sure if you're patient you could get a Screamer on eBay for less than £500.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rickmeister
I think Dave meant new would be out of his budget. I'm sure if you're patient you could get a Screamer on eBay for less than £500.

I'll try and look for some second hand amps, new or second hand, it doesn't really bother me. How much roughly am I looking at for a second hand Screamer?

I'll still look into Laney amps, I'm just not really interested in getting a half stack of any sort. Are there any good Laney combos available?

Regarding Marshall, the only amp I know that is sorta in my budget is the DSL401 I think. They any good?
^ i know, i'm just giving him a hard time for that little slip up. he's usually right beyond any reasonable doubt.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
Doh!

you know what i mean. I meant he wouldn't be able to get a powerball or savage or something.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen an ENGL Screamer 50 combo go on eBay for £300 but more often than not including postage it'll be between £400-£450 which is within your budget.
I haven't tried a Marshall DSL401 but from what I've heard they're not great and if they're the same price as a used ENGL Screamer then there's no point getting one. It's not the only Marshall in your budget, I got my Marshall JCM 800 (100 watt combo) for £280 although on eBay a good 'bargain' for one of these is at least £350. The only problem is that I've had to spend £140 on an attenuator which still hasn't arrived yet and also the Marshalls (unless you get a JCM 900 Dual Reverb) only have one channel so playing live and switching between FX and channels is going to be a real pain. It doesn't bother me as I just resorted to using less FX and I'm happy with my amp as I love the Marshall crunch seeing as I play hair metal mostly. However if you're struggling to find one of these Marshalls for less than £400 I'd probably get the Screamer because of it's extra versatility, the fact you wouldn't need an attenuator and it has multiple channels.
And the Laney combos... Haven't tried one but I know it's a great choice but probably not for me personally.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60