Page 4 of 17
Hey, this is a bit vauge but is there any bands that are proper hard rock bands with punk influence but really catchy pop choruses without them being like simple plan. thanks
My Gear:
Fender '66 Reissue Big Block Jazzmater
Epiphone Explorer W/Duncan Invaders
Vintage V100 Lemon Drop
Squire Fat Strat
Laney LG12
Fender FM15 DSP(Broken )
maybe nirvana, or oasis?
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by KidfromMars
Hey, this is a bit vauge but is there any bands that are proper hard rock bands with punk influence but really catchy pop choruses without them being like simple plan. thanks

Try The Hives or The Mooney Suzuki.
Quote by doubtfull
Can anyone recommend some bands that are similar sounding to Jimmy eat world?

Try:

New Found Glory
Yellowcard
Goldfinger
Third Eye Blind
Rise Against

That's all I can think of at the mo

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Do any of you know any good modern prog bands like Oceansize, Muse, The Mars Volta, etc.? Preferably not metal. Thanks in advance.
try pink floyd, uhh i don't know i was gonna say mars volta but you have them in your list

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Quote by goldmember1217
Do any of you know any good modern prog bands like Oceansize, Muse, The Mars Volta, etc.? Preferably not metal. Thanks in advance.

Pink Floyd is really good like that soundgarden19 said. And even though they aren't really prog rock look up some Explosions In The Sky. They make these long, beautiful instrumental songs and I think that if you like the clean guitarsound of Oceansize you'll like them too.

Edit: After a quick look at your profile I realised they already are your favourite band. Good to see I was right.
Last edited by frankv at May 24, 2008,
Quote by goldmember1217

Try Voodoo Economics, sort of like the Prog-ier side of Radiohead mixed with Portishead. You can download their album for free from their website too.
Most of my favourite modern rock bands are fairly unknown on UG so I thought I'd write a few reviews here and try and garner them some new fans

1) The Wildhearts My Space

The MySpace page has 4 tracks off their latest album, which is all covers plus "The Revolution will be Televised" from their last album and "I Wanna Go Where the people Go" from P.H.U.Q., one of their albums back in the 90's.

I'd say the best description of the band would be modern rock with heavy classic rock influences. Their typical sound is cool riffs and harmonised vocals, very catchy stuff in general.

Some youtube links for a better cross-section of their career:

TV Tan

Sick Of Drugs

Caffeine Bomb

So into You

Vanilla Radio

Nothin Ever Changes But The Shoes

Greetings From Sh*tsville (This one is about London )

Wow, this got long, I think I'll leave my other recommendations for another time.

Oh, good albums by these guys: Earth V.s The Wildhearts is a must, then anything else in any order you please
^ Win. The Wildhearts are awesome. It all started with Vanilla Radio for me

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Does anyone konw any good Modern Psychedelic Rock?
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Quote by KidfromMars

The Pixies.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by M.O.P

Clutch, Kyuss, QOTSA, Acid Bath( all there songs are about there acid trips )
that's all i got right now.

Quote by denizenz

Quote by M.O.P

Try the Flaming Lips too.

Quote by denizenz

Quote by goldmember1217
Do you lads know any good math rock bands with no/at least somewhat pleasant vocals?

what's math rock?

Quote by denizenz

Quote by goldmember1217
Do you lads know any good math rock bands with no/at least somewhat pleasant vocals?

Battles, Hella, 65daysofstatic and Maps & Atlases would be good to check out.

Quote by soundgarden19
what's math rock?

Wikipedia says:

"Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock music that emerged in the late 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords."
Quote by Broken_Drum
Battles, Hella, 65daysofstatic and Maps & Atlases would be good to check out.

Alright, I listened to all of them (except for 65dos, because I already love them). Battles was very interesting, and slightly reminiscent to Animal Collective. Hella was awesome, their drumming is fantastic. And Maps & Atlases was also pretty original, even if they sort of reminded me of Minus the Bear.

Thanks a ton.
Quote by goldmember1217
Alright, I listened to all of them (except for 65dos, because I already love them). Battles was very interesting, and slightly reminiscent to Animal Collective. Hella was awesome, their drumming is fantastic. And Maps & Atlases was also pretty original, even if they sort of reminded me of Minus the Bear.

Thanks a ton.

No problem man, glad I could help.
Ok, so can anyone reccommend me some good alternative rock/hard rock bands I could get into. I just feel I need to listen to some more music. Thanks in advance...
Quote by hazzmatazz
Ok, so can anyone reccommend me some good alternative rock/hard rock bands I could get into. I just feel I need to listen to some more music. Thanks in advance...

Denali, The Matches (but not their first album), Idlewild, Nada Surf, Lazlo Bane, Celldweller, Dresden Dolls, Colours Run, Dead World Leaders, The Chapman Family.

Those are some slightly less mainstream artists tagged as alternative from my music library. Most of them aren't that heavy though, so they're not really hard rock.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by hazzmatazz

Hard rock, eh?

www.myspace.com/zicochain
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by goldmember1217
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_rock_artists

See, Wikipedia is good for something.

Also, do you guys know any artists similar to Boards of Canada?

Few of those are what I'd call alternative rock, but whatever.

Do you have last.fm and/or pandora radio? Because that could be pretty helpful in finding you similar artists.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I recommend The Dreaming's Etched In Blood album.
Wikipedia
"C'est la certitude de la mort qui suscite le désir de vivre."
A. Camus
The Black Keys
every album the produce is epic
Best blues/rock band around, better than The White Stripes imo
i agree with bobdole
clever name by the way
Fender Strat
Custom Tele
Crate RFX65
Korg AX1500
Shinedown- Sound of madness

great cd, whether you like their previous stuff or not, some songs are harder then anything they've done before and then theres just some great stuff on there give it a listen.