Hey everyone. I'm gonna cut right to the chase.

My picking technique is ****. I was trying to play Rondo Alla Turka at 144 bpm and I barely could manage the 16ths (I played them relatively sloppily too).

What are some good alt picking exercises? Don't say "Use a metrenome". I know this already. I'm asking what I should use the metrenome on.

Also: Is it really more beneficial to practice clean?
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
1) do a chromatic scale and use the metrenome. for instance on low e, 1 2 3 4 then up to a 1 2 3 4, then up to g 1 2 3 4, etc. set the metrenome on a comfortable speed where you can pick clearly and on beat, and then work your way up.

2) yes, practice on clean, if you play practice distored you wont really hear all of your mistakes.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Quote by Hidde
What are some good alt picking exercises? Don't say "Use a metrenome". I know this already. I'm asking what I should use the metrenome on.

1) Excercises will only get you so far, you need to slow yourself down and economise you movements, but also chromatics are a good start, try the first little riff/motif part of flight of the bumblebee, it makes a good exercise on it own and the spider riff from the beginning of Master of Puppets is a good one too.

2) Practice both ways, playing clean means you'll sort out the inaccuracies in your playing, practicing distorted means you'll have to learn proper muting technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Steve Morse - Tumeni Notes. Learn it, live it, hate every minute of trying to play it. There's a good powertab of it on this site, just remember that it's all alternate picking even when it would be so much easier to economy pick.
...Don't alternate pick, use economy picking...it's so much more effective when used correctly...and I wouldn't use the 1234 1234 exercize because when you go to solo you won't be able to do anything but that...I suggest playing some arpeggios and scales in different keys (not that difficult) so that you can easily improvise solos if you need to...

DISCLAIMER: Much of this is not my advice, but it seems to be working for me atm so it will probably work for you as well...
Quote by Hidde

Basically, everything you play is an exercise. So, everything you play perfectly develops your technique and everything you play sloppily screws your muscle memory more and more.

Anyway, some good "exercise songs" are Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai, Technical Difficulties by Racer X and 17th Century Chicken Pickin' by Chris Impelliteri. Out of those, learn at least ETB. It incorporates picking in many different ways and it's a cool show-off piece too!

Both. When you practice clean, you develop your accuracy and synchronization of the pick and fingers, when you play with distortion, you learn to eliminate the unwanted noise that isn't so loud when you play on clean channel.
If picking each individual note is too hard, use hammers and pulls for a more simplistic approach, it doesn't take anything away from the quality, in fact it makes it easier for the player

Although I do question why you would learn such a advanced piece if you're new to the whole shred thing, the second half of that piece is murder Oo
hue
Playing clean is much more benefitial, because all mistakes are loud and clear. When you make mistakes, the general thing that you wanna do is fix them, right? So that's half of it right there; mindset. The rest of it is just in that you can hear them better.

Even better than using a clean tone, however, is using an acoustic guitar. If you have an acoustic, then use it constantly. Most soloing techniques are much more difficult to perform accurately on an acoustic guitar. Most techniques in general are, really. So using one will more than likely be much more benefitial to you.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by sock_demon
If picking each individual note is too hard, use hammers and pulls for a more simplistic approach, it doesn't take anything away from the quality, in fact it makes it easier for the player

That is not good advice for any number of reasons. Basically you're saying if you
come across something you find difficult to do at first, run away! Also as far as
quality goes, I'd say it has a very definite affect on it.
^
Second. Hammers and pulls will only slow you down. Just practice whatever lick you're having trouble with until you can do it clean, and then add speed to it slowly, making sure you keep it clean.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
Second. Hammers and pulls will only slow you down. Just practice whatever lick you're having trouble with until you can do it clean, and then add speed to it slowly, making sure you keep it clean.

I'm pretty sure hammers, pulls and trills will ineveitably speed your nps up

as opposed to picking each note (which requires both hands to be completely n'sync,

That is not good advice for any number of reasons. Basically you're saying if you
come across something you find difficult to do at first, run away! Also as far as
quality goes, I'd say it has a very definite affect on it.

I didn't say that, Isaid that if you find picking each note very tiring or not your cup of tea, hammer and pull it. And the only effect that it has on the sound of your playing is that you won't hear the picking sound when you play with hammers, trills and pulls
hue
Last edited by sock_demon at Aug 12, 2007,
Quote by sock_demon
I'm pretty sure hammers, pulls and trills will ineveitably speed your nps up as opposed to picking each note (which requires both hands to be completely n'sync,

Yes, it's easy to wank with legato. Alternate picking, however, is a very important technique to learn well. Also it's a lot more versatile.

the only effect that it has on the sound of your playing is that you won't hear the picking sound when you play with hammers, trills and pulls

You also lose the dynamic and rhythmic control that you get with alternate picking.
Legato is kind of (not really) a cheater's way out if you really practice it and use it a lot, like Satriani. But he knows how to do alt picked, too- both are important. It's like driving a stick and an automatic.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Legato is legato, picking is picking. Two different things. Use one where you want
one kind of sound, the other for another kind of sound. The extent to which you'd
use legato over alt picking is when you feel the need for a legato sound, not
because you can't alt pick.

Legato is hardly cheating. It's actually pretty hard to do right.
Quote by edg

Legato is hardly cheating. It's actually pretty hard to do right.

True, Allan Holdsworth is a good example.
Read "1" below. Basically, start picking how you want to be able to, starting now. Let it get faster of its own accord - work endlessly at improving the quality of your picked notes, not the quantity.