I just bought a 20" 2.0 ghz 1GB RAM new iMac a few days ago. Some of you might have seen my other post, and for those who haven't ill just explain what happened. Yesterday, my brother was running iDVD, iTunes, Safari, Garageband, and iPhoto all at the same time. The computer froze and the screen went black. I never exactly knew what happened but i assume its something that has to do with heat. I have a few questions:

1. Considering the computer has only 1GB ram, would putting 4GB in there reduce heat because it would put less stress on the CPU?

2. What are the healthy temperatures for an iMac? According to iStat my temps look like this when running Propellerheads Reason 3.0:

IN CELSIUS

CPU - lowest was about 40, highest got up to 50
GPU - stayed around 50, 55 was probably the highest
GPU Diode - same as GPU pretty much but a tad hotter
GPU Heatsink - Around 50
Ambient - 25 or so
Memory control - higher 40s
HD Bay - Middle 40s
Optical Drive - lower-mid 40s

My opt drive fan was running 999rpm
CPU fan and HD fan was 1200rpm

3. was the freeze even temperature caused?

i will now wait for people to tell me to buy a pc..........

i like macs though
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

BUY A PC!!!

hehe.

Nah, more RAM wouldn't help. Just make sure all of the vents are clean and dust free.
But it doesn't sound like a heat problem anyway.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
You probably ran out of virtual memory. I'm not much of a comp whiz though.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
1. It might. It will reduce the amount the hard drive has to work more than the amount the CPU has to work, I think, since you'll be paging less.
3. I doubt it does really.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
it just overheated. my friend's computer always did that when he played counterstrike, because the fan on the bottom of his computer was blocked by his desk, so he had to hand the computer half off of his desk so the fan could cool the computer down. but the mac laptops don't have fans on the bottom, and i dunno if the ones they have work as well or not, but i notice mine gets kinda hot if i'm running it with the charging cable in it, so yea, that might help.
garageband does take up a LOT of memory, which might have been hard on (hehe hard-on :-D) the hard drive. BTW you got a nice computer, I want one. I love Reason too its so cool.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~

"Idiot"
^ nah, i dont run garageband. but reason is uses a lot of cpu....at least thats how it was on my last comp..
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic