Wow, I just saw Deep Purple and Steppenwolf at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA. Absolutely amazing.

Steppenwolf opened with "Sookie Sookie", and closed with "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born To Be Wild". They played a wide variety of their lesser known songs in between. I wish I had heard more of the early 70's Steppenwolf stuff, because that was a good portion of their set. John Kay even played some of his solo stuff. Overall, a good performance, but their stage presence was lacking greatly.

Deep Purple came on at 8:30 sharp with Pictures of Home. They played until 10, playing many songs from Machine Head and Perfect Strangers such as Highway Star, Knocking At Your Back Door, and Nobody's Home! They closed up with "Smoke On The Water" featuring Danny Johnson from Steppenwolf! Then, they came back and played "Hush"!

Deep Purple well exceeded my expectations. Of course, I expected an amazing show, but Deep Purple blew me away. Perfect setlist. Only ONE THING I would have changed, they should have played "Maybe I'm A Leo"!

Steve Morse plays lead guitar for Deep Purple now. He is no Ritchie Blackmore, but you could also say Ritchie Blackmore is no Steve Morse! I couldn't be any happier with Morse's performance. Don Airey rocked the keys, and let me tell you, he's a prodigy. Ian Gillan is nearly as good as he ever was! I don't recall him missing any notes!

Usually, when you go to see an older band, you just can't expect the show to be as good as when they were in their prime. Well, I don't think Deep Purple ever came out of their prime!

Oh, before I forget. Check out Steppenwolf this year! This is their final tour!
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Last edited by fireoptic at Aug 10, 2007,
Awesome, sounds like a good show. I'm seeing Steppenwolf later this month. Did they play "Monster"? That song seems to fit the current situation in America.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Haha, yeah. John Kay even made a remark about that. He said something along the lines of "This song was written about living through dark parts of our lives, but today, it sounds like it was written about the events of the past several years!"
Calender

Quote by Xaldin714
why does Thin Lizzy sing in english if they are from ireland
Awesome! My dad loves that song, so he'll be stoked.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Man, I would kill to see Steppenwolf; I didn't know that they were still touring.

They don't seem like the type of band that would carry much stage presence, but when I go to concerts I go solely for listening to the music.

As far as Deep Purple goes, that's great that you had a good time, though I still can't get over my dissapointment of Ritchie not playing with them anymore (or Jon Lord, for that matter), but it sounds like the setlist was great (though I agree that Maybe I'm A Leo is an awesome song).

Now I need to look up on Steppenwolf and see if they're playing by me anytime soon.
Hmm Deep Purples set list seems to be the same as it is every year and what funny as much as Gillan likes to pay the **** out of Ritchie Blackmore he tends to play all the songs they created together leaving space for 1 or 2 'Morse' era songs
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
I saw Deep Purple live Wednesday night. They were amazing. They played for about 2 and half hours and did all the hits. Basically every song I wanted to hear and more. Steve Morse was amazing, especially at this one part where Gillan gave a little intro for Morse and walked off stage and Morse just starts soloing and playing parts of Back in Black, Heartbreaker, and Sweet Child O' Mine. Hush was the encore (I think that's what they have set up for every show because everyone I talked to who went to a concert said that was the encore.) I also got a T-Shirt.

I definetly say Morse and Blackmore are hard to compare, but Deep Purple kicks ass with either one.

Quote by Master Shake
Hmm Deep Purples set list seems to be the same as it is every year and what funny as much as Gillan likes to pay the **** out of Ritchie Blackmore he tends to play all the songs they created together leaving space for 1 or 2 'Morse' era songs

That's because they're the most popular songs. At Roger Waters concerts he plays mostly Pink Floyd stuff, including stuff written by all members of the band, as opposed to his solo career.

I have to say though, the Morse era stuff they played was just as good. But the older stuff is more of a crowd pleaser.
Last edited by TheIceCreamMan at Aug 11, 2007,
^ Water's doesnt call guys like Gilmour an @sshole at every possible oportunity, plus Water was the creative force as is Blackmore so thats not a striaight forward comparison. Plus you know you have problems when you only sell 14 tickets in a big place (Chicago) and therefore cancel the concert or otherwise team up with other popular bands such as Status Quo, Alice Cooper and in this case Steppenwolf to pull numbers. You can argue Morse all you want but DP is a has been Ian Gillan tribute band. There were good in there day but are long gone. Morse is quite clearly in it for the money/oportunity whatever you want to call it which is sad, he has a LOT more to offer as a guitarist. Plus nevermind the highly mature acts such as taking off Blackmores face on Machine Head merchandise, he didnt really do a lot on that album anyway. Gillan is just an immature fool who needs to grow up. Personally im not a huge fan of Morse era stuff but I would like to hear a few more newer songs too. Just the irony if Gillan wants to say how bad Blackmore is then he should move on completely. to me the band died after Perfect Strangers, I like a few other songs especially Anya but would have liked to seen that in a Rainbow line up.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Steppenwolf used to be my num 1 fav, but recently, SLASH has taken that spot. Steppenwolf is definetly awesome, though. I would love to see them play!!!!!
Deep Purple died after Stormbringer when Blackmore formed Rainbow. Perfect Strangers was just a "we-are-not-in-it-for-the-money-or-wait-yes-we-are!"-performance which lasted for almost 10 years (with JLT as singer on one album).

Keep in mind, however, that the "later" songs (after Stormbringer) isn't that bad. Many are good songs. The thing is that the band just lives on their old Mk IIa songs with some Mk IIb and Hush thrown in. And 2 songs from the Morse era, where one is from their latest album to market it. (You got the point there.)

I'm very curious: What was the exact setlist? Thank you.

EDIT: Found this today Deep Purple setlist in Parma, Italia Maybe it's the same as you saw?
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.
Last edited by Danne55 at Sep 11, 2007,
Quote by Danne55
Deep Purple died after Stormbringer when Blackmore formed Rainbow. Perfect Strangers was just a "we-are-not-in-it-for-the-money-or-wait-yes-we-are!"-performance which lasted for almost 10 years (with JLT as singer on one album).

Even so, Perfect Strangers was an excellent album.

Apart from that album, I haven't listened to any full albums of Deep Purple after the reformation and the various line-up changes that spawned from it.
As I said later in the post: "Keep in mind, however, that the "later" songs (after Stormbringer) isn't that bad". Perfect Strangers isn't a bad album, although i've only listened through the whole album once. The title song is a classic Deep Purple song, no doubt.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.