probably some kind of program that you can program drums or music. Logic Pro or Propellerheads Reason are really good.
You could add a kill switch to your guitar and use some crazy effects like phasers and talk boxes and stuff.

I'd think that help make your guitar chops sound more electronic.

Which would be awesome!
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Electronica music doesn't exsist, its actually known as Industrial, bands like Wumpscut, and etc.

now some of you may NOT be thinking this but why did i use wumpscut first?

because Rudy Ratzinger is one of the best in the business, and i STRONGLY reccomendt listening to wumpscut to get ideas..
as for doing this type of project..

you need a synth, if any, use also a Guitar with Wah pedal, and most people say drum machine, if you'd rather mix it up, get an electric drum kit, and also some DJ equipment, it works,
Reason is a pretty impressive program if you're sticking to just electronic music, even if its pretty closed up so you can't add any other stuff to it directly, theres a ****ton of stuff that already comes in it.
Fruityloops is a more simple and would probably be more accessible to a beginner.

both of these come with plenty of different synths, drums and other sounds to start working with.... or you could pay out of the ass for an original Roland TB303 and 808, Minimoog, Clavia Nord or whatever other hardware stuff if you want to be a purist....but these day the amount of stuff you can do with software makes it almost silly really.
(edit: however, the one thing I would want to have is a Microkorg, just search for it on youtube to see some videos of people playing around with the thing)

free? I believer Reaper is a free digital audio workstation that also has sequencing capabilities. Just find some VSTi plugins and you might be able to get something going.
Theres another one aimed more at sequencing called MadTracker, I messed around with it but it was pretty confusing, their website seems to be down at the moment.

I reccomend you get a MIDI keyboard of some sort, as entering stuff with the pc keyboard and mouse sucks http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Keyboard-Controllers--2684 , no need to have a full 88 key console, just enough to get some basslines or whatever going
Last edited by seljer at Aug 10, 2007,
Quote by ReaverNightwing
Electronica music doesn't exsist, its actually known as Industrial

wtf!?!?!?! i write electronica music all the time that isn't industrial...... your statement is quite broken

to the TS, i use Fruity loops now, it's fairly easy to get started but does get really in depth with plugins and add-ons and all the stuff you can do with it, i recommend it highly if you're not going to just be getting a keyboard and using that. it's pretty easy and you can get some pretty good sounds with a little tweeking.
I'm a half-descent sound-engineer so i can give you pretty good advise on this topic here...

Get a laptop/desktop and a midi controller...
Prefer desktop cuz its more customizable and you get beter performance off it. But if you want portability, then go for a laptop.

Use softwares like Reason and Cubase (use both of them together)... To create the sounds...

Get a good quality audio interface to connect yer guitar, bass and mic through. Use protools or some similiar software to process the sound from yer guitar, bass and mic...

Use a powerful laptop. Something with a really fast processor and huge ram. Don't bother bout graphics card and the built in audio card, you don't need it. Just a fast, powerful processor and lots of ram.

I recommend looking for some DAW's for yer laptop from some custom builders. Don't get a dell or something like that. Laptops for music have certain special requirements like low noise, fast and powerful processing, large ram, fast hard drives. They don't need graphics card, built in sound-cards and all. That'll only slow down yer laptop.

Get a good audio interface (dont get a usb1 powered. Get a firewire or USB 2 powered one). I recommend M-Audio recording interfaces. The M-Audio FW410 is pretty perfect. Its not very expensive and has enough inputs and outputs to meet yer needs. Its also compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered. (only M-Audio and digidesign interface's are compatible with protools... M-Audio is better than digidesign).

Get a good Midi controller. Get Reason software (most of daft punk sounds are off that software). Reason has loads of synths, drum machines, loops, rex files and virtual instruments. It'll pretty much handle all your MIDI needs.

For Audio (guitar, bass, vocals), Cubase and ProTools are pretty good. You might need to download some extra VST (for cubase) and RATS (For protools) instruments for added effects and all.

Basically if you're working with MIDI, nothing can beat Cubase. If you're working with audio, nothing can beat ProTools. But using Pro Tools for MIDI is a big no no!! Not that you cant do it, its just messy as hell! You're wayyy better off using reason or cubase.

You don't need any guitar or bass amps. The softwares will take care of that.
Get a MIDI controlled pedal board if you want. The MIDI controller should do it anyway.

Electronic music production is really fun but takes a lot of skill and knowledge. Its good to get to know bout sound-engineering/production and using the softwares.

Check out the Sound-engineering/production magzines you might get there. They have some good info.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Aug 10, 2007,
^ i disagree, i use a mobile pre usb. its usb 1 and has very low latency and noise and sounds wonderful (and it was pretty cheap, just $150) i also personally use acid 4.0 for recording, it does everything i need it to as long as i sequence everything against a click track. good luck to the TS.
A better recording interface IS gonna create a big difference to the sound. Usually only the good producers can notice that though...

But USB 1 can't handle a 32 track music project. Its just too much of info to travel through the usb 1 input. You'll need Firewire or USB 2 for that.

Acid 4.0 is a good software for recording but it cant beat Pro Tools. Pro Tools is the industry standard digital audio recording and editing software.

And then recording and sequencing is just the beginning. The big part comes to production. Production is what differentiates a DJ on the charts from a bedroom musician.
Comes down to right and clever use of delay, compressors, limiters, EQing... It might all look simple but its all got a lot more to it... There are many individual books on compression and EQing alone!

I use a M-Audio FW solo recording interfece. Its the cheapest M-Audio firewire interfect you can get. But its M-Audio so its Pro Tools M-Powered compatible. I can use it for recording and mixing the demo tracks for my band.
Gives a better quality than those amatuer bands you hear on myspace.

Finally a lot of it comes down to pure skills. A good producer can create an awesome track from fairly cheap equiptment and softwares...
While a noob will make a mess on even the most advanced sequencing and production systems...
Is there any way to use Reason or Cubase without a MIDI keyboard? I've got a digital piano and even the correct USB cable to connect it to my laptop, but I guess it's not compatible with Vista or something.
Quote by af_the_fragile
A better recording interface IS gonna create a big difference to the sound. Usually only the good producers can notice that though...

But USB 1 can't handle a 32 track music project. Its just too much of info to travel through the usb 1 input. You'll need Firewire or USB 2 for that.

err, arr 32 tracks going be travelling INTO the computer at all times?
most of those entry level interfaces only have 1 or 2 inputs, stereo output and MIDI

and don't really know how DAW programs work underneath the hood, but I'd imagine that most of its done within the computer anway

^yes, you can use Reason (and probably cubase too but I don't have any experience) with just the mouse and keyboard for entering sequencing data but you're things go 23524265367z3570956356 thousand times smoother with a keyboard, ultimately allowing you to be more creative, instead of losing time fumbling over entering things note by note
Last edited by seljer at Aug 10, 2007,
Quote by seljer
err, arr 32 tracks going be travelling INTO the computer at all times?
most of those entry level interfaces only have 1 or 2 inputs, stereo output and MIDI

and don't really know how DAW programs work underneath the hood, but I'd imagine that most of its done within the computer anway

^yes, you can use Reason (and probably cubase too but I don't have any experience) with just the mouse and keyboard for entering sequencing data but you're things go 23524265367z3570956356 thousand times smoother with a keyboard, ultimately allowing you to be more creative, instead of losing time fumbling over entering things note by note

When you're doing a live recording, its usually about 32 tracks going into the mixing console or recording interface at once.

Though my FW Solo (as it says solo) is just made to record 2 things at a time...
But bigger recording interface like the SSL Duende have 32 inputs and outputs to record 32 tracks simultaniously...

A normal song being produced can very from anywhere between 4 to 64 tracks. Its the computer's processor and RAM that adds them all together to send out of the Master outputs. But to handle those many tracks at once you need a really really powerful computer.
Thats why the Pro Tools HD systems use Mac G5's and the HD systems have their own seperate processors to processors built to process that much amount of audio at once. Thats why they are really expensive too....

Well, i drifted away from the point there.
But yeah you need a good audio interface with many inputs and outputs cuz usually producers are working with loads of tracks at once. (recording and all). You've got like about 13 drum mics recording drums on individual channels... 2 mics recording guitars, 2 mics recording bass, then the guitar and bass coming straight from the amps and DI boxes too... You need a good recording interfect with loads of inputs and outputs and a powerful comp to handle those many channels of audio streaming in. USB 1 cannot handle that much of audio streaming it, it'll result in a lot of latency...

So bigger is better...

and then a good recording interface has got better sound quality...

Audio and MIDI is handled in a completely different way. Audio data is huge. It can be in MBps... while MIDI is just in KB's....
Audio is processed in the recording interface from an analogue signal into a digital siginal and sent to the comp as a digital siginal.
MIDI is just a bunch of commands that tell the MIDI sequencer software to play which note, for what amount of time and how loud.
Audio needs a lot of processing power, where as MIDI doesn't need that much processing power...

You dont really need a great recording interface if you're only dealing with MIDI.
You need a good one if you're dealing with audio cuz it gives a better sound quality, its gotta be fast at transferring all the audio signals from the interface to the comp, its gotta have enough amounts of inputs and outputs for recording many things at once...
Outputs cuz the audio form the comp can be sent into a external mixer which gives a good sound quality and more ease of use.

I studied all this **** for almost a year. Did a sound-engineering and production course. Its a lot more complicated than it seems. Theres really a LOT that goes into it!!

You don't need a MIDI controller to use reason. Thats just for convienience. You've got all the controls on the screen. You can just use your mouse and keyboard to control them.

MIDI controller is for something like real time (live) recording and jamming.
OMG I can just enter in the notes?!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do so with Reason?

It'd mean a hell of a lot to me. =]
Quote by yawn
OMG I can just enter in the notes?!

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to do so with Reason?

It'd mean a hell of a lot to me. =]

in the sequencer part, select a track and hit the "Switch to Edit Mode" button to on the right, you can then draw in notes with the pencil thing (another icon up there)
^what he says...

and make sure you select the right time signature and length of note you're entering...

Its like a piano like thingy towards the left... the notes go from low to high from the bottom of the grid to the top...

and yeah, make sure you select a synth or virtual instrument (selecting a sound in it) before you start throwing notes in... or elz you'll get no sound....

actually just go here: http://www.propellerheads.se/download
and download the appropriate demo version of the software. (The full version of Reason is about 2GB cuz its got a huge sound bank of samples and loops)...

Just mess around with the demo till you get a hang of the software. The demo has only a few loops and samples but should give you an idea on how to use the software..
Make sure you mess around with the SUBTRACTOR synth (its really fun piece of synth) and Malstrom is a really good synth too...

Though you'll need to understand how subtractive synthesis works to use em.
Basically it has 3 parts... an oscillator which produces the wave, a filter that filter's out the frequencies and an amp that controls the ADSR (attack, delay, sustain, release) of the wave.

Systhesis is pretty complicated but its really fun too! If you know what you're doing...
whats the best program that I can download free of the net where u can enter the notes and has tons of samples of instruments and drums? not just loops tho i want to enter the notes
^ Maybe Finale Notepad, though that's not really geared for electronica at all, and the instrumentation is all of classical nature.