Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone plays/tunes/records or just fiddles around with plugging their guitar straight to their PC.

There is a ton of ways to do it, but the quick way, of using a 1/4">1/8">soundcard isn't working for me. I've even tried using my amps line out into it, both mic input and line input and well i've given up on it on Vista. My friends can do it, but I can't, oh well.

Does anyone use Vista and has gotten it to work? I'm willing to buy equipment, does anyone use anything specific to do this with? I've seen the Line6 Guitarport, but I wanted to know if anyone could actually recommend that or an alternative. I really don't like buying things without getting firsthand reviews, and I know there is talent on this board, so there has to be people with recording and just overall experience with this.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit:: Just a note, I am not looking for advanced recording software, I have friends and places to go for that kinda thing. I'm just looking for a very simple, basic, plug guitar into the computer and maybe record a few soundbytes for friends and all.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
Last edited by Boyiee at Aug 10, 2007,
ive done very little recording on my home computer, so theres not a lot i can offer - BUT i do have a program by native instruments called guitar rig 2. it can be bought with a pedal dealy(not essential/but it helps). but i cant really pass judgement on it, because my soundcard is so backwards (lol) but is very versatile, and can be used by plugging your guitar straight into the computer.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
You could plug right in(remember to check that the system has line in/mic in turned on), but you'll get latency.
Guitarport is a great thing because it gives you almost zero latency, or you can use the stealthplug which is even smaller. Another option would be getting an effects pedal like the digitech rp 150/250/350 range because they have USB connectivity for recording and you can control everything from your pedal.
If you got a lot of cas to spend though, you can get a Guitar Rig Kontroller.

IMO the digitech pedals are the best option because you get control and good sound with zero latency. Otherwise the stealthplug is cheap and is just one cable between the guitar and usb port.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Well it looks like everything is about 100$. the RP150, GuitarPort, and Stealth Plug. Not bad price at all for what I'm looking to do. Do you have a Digitech pedal by any chance? It does look like the best choice. And even better, I'm pretty sure i've seen them in stock at my local music store so I don't have to wait very long.

Do you know if by going through the digitech, I have to use the digitech effects/mixers on the pc? I'd rather have total control but i'm sure you can bypass most things. I've found some good mixers, and know which my friends use, so i'm kinda biased to those rather than a Digitech one. Think I can use my own but still play through the digitech?

And wow, thanks for the amazingly quick responses.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
Ive got vista, the problem is finding the sound control panel (so f***ing hard to find/use on vista) and then setting the right volume levels/un muting it.
Quote by Boyiee
Well it looks like everything is about 100$. the RP150, GuitarPort, and Stealth Plug. Not bad price at all for what I'm looking to do. Do you have a Digitech pedal by any chance? It does look like the best choice. And even better, I'm pretty sure i've seen them in stock at my local music store so I don't have to wait very long.

Do you know if by going through the digitech, I have to use the digitech effects/mixers on the pc? I'd rather have total control but i'm sure you can bypass most things. I've found some good mixers, and know which my friends use, so i'm kinda biased to those rather than a Digitech one. Think I can use my own but still play through the digitech?

And wow, thanks for the amazingly quick responses.

I have an rp350 and a line6 toneport kb37(use both for recording).
The digitechs are nice. very good distortions, nice set of effects and amp sims and really great presets if you dont want to muck about, but its also very easy to use.

It plugs in via USB tough, so you won't require a mixer in between,(you can record direct into a recording program like audacity) but if you do get a mixer later on, it has stereo output via normal guitar leads, while the Rp350 also has XLR outputs for even better quality. So its pretty much open ended.

You can bypass the effects by turning them all off (or going into bypass mode, but that bypasses the USB as well) and it doesn't affect your tone at all like other pedals. I use this quite a bit, for example, to use amplitube on the computer when I feel like recording once and reamping the same part to layer stuff.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Personally i just plug a mini jack cable through the "CD output" on my Line 6 amp to my record input in the PC. That works just fine.

Hm, my brother has a Line 6 Guitar port, and it really kicks ass. It has a lot of features and effects, and you can download different settings online. For example you could download a setting for some Metallica song, to make it sound exact the way it does in the song. I know my brother hardly uses his amp anymore, since he got the guitarport. Unfortunately the guitarport doesn't work well with my laptop. The soundcard is too crappy.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 320 Ltd.
Line 6 Spider II Amp 30 Watt
Quote by Krisp
Personally i just plug a mini jack cable through the "CD output" on my Line 6 amp to my record input in the PC. That works just fine.

Hm, my brother has a Line 6 Guitar port, and it really kicks ass. It has a lot of features and effects, and you can download different settings online. For example you could download a setting for some Metallica song, to make it sound exact the way it does in the song. I know my brother hardly uses his amp anymore, since he got the guitarport. Unfortunately the guitarport doesn't work well with my laptop. The soundcard is too crappy.

just to clarify though, the guitarport bypasses your soundcards limitations. Must be a driver or a setup issue on your laptop(set it to ASIO)

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
just to clarify though, the guitarport bypasses your soundcards limitations. Must be a driver or a setup issue on your laptop(set it to ASIO)

Can the Digitech also bypass? And the thing about being able to download off the website sounds and effects is pretty sweet, kinda makes the guitar port more interesting. Either way, I can see i'm picking up somthing or ordering something tomorrow, you guys were a great help, I appreciate it.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG
well i use a lexicon omega digital sampler and that gives you perfect digital sampling, also comes with cubase SE which is pretty good, bit pricey though, but it does act completely independant of your sound card + offers synthesized bass and drums, nice for doing covers of songs, just grab a midi extract drum and bass tracks and there you go you have half the cover done already :p, but might be a bit pricey probably around $250 - $280 also offers phantom powered SLX microphone in midi inputs spdif all kinds of stuff.
Quote by Boyiee
Can the Digitech also bypass? And the thing about being able to download off the website sounds and effects is pretty sweet, kinda makes the guitar port more interesting. Either way, I can see i'm picking up somthing or ordering something tomorrow, you guys were a great help, I appreciate it.

yes, just hook up the audio out of the digitech to any speaker or amp, or even just the headphone out and it'll do all audio processing within itself taking your soundcard out of the equation.
You can download patches for the digitech as well but not nearly as much as the number of patches available for the line6.
However be careful as the line6 devices allow you to download expansion packs to unlock more sounds. A lot of the patches online require these expansions, though the software will try and find as close a fit as it can if you don't have the correct expansions.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
You should be able to plug in directly to your mic with the right adapter. You need the 20db boost enabled in the volume/record control. You should be able to hear your guitar by turning it up in the volume/playback control. It's best to use a preamp of some sort and not the 20db boost because of noise. MultiFX boxes make good preamps. The $50 Korg AX3G is excellent.

Guitar Port or TonePort are also nice processors. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

On Vista you can right click on the Start Button and bring up a dialog to set the Start menu to classic mode. Then it's easy to find the control panel.
I went out and bought an RP250, but audacity keeps having an error after install. God I can't stand vista. I got the beta version to work however, so it's all good. The RP is pretty nice, not really sure if i'll make full use of it though, I might have been better off ordering a GuitarPortXT from amazon.com for 100$, the only guitar port my music store had was the newest one and they wanted like 180-190 for it, ha. I figured for 150 I got something I can use with my amp and has more uses, guess we'll see.
[Currenty playing]
Jackson DKMG