Hey guys, just pondering swapping out the pups on my Warwick Corvette std. Ive been searching around and the general consensus is that bartolini pickups should be the only real replacement pups for them?

Thoughts on this please? And if i did go with bartolini, which model would i take?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I love Bartolinis on my Lakland bass and they sound fantastic. I've got a J-pup at the neck and a MM style humbucker at the bridge, and it really picks out harmonics well. http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm that's the range for 4 strings so pick out what would fit out of those.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I have also heard very good things about Lindy Fralin's Jazz pickups.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I put a Bartolini humbucking soapbar on my P-bass's bridge position...the high end that thing adds is orgasmic. I plan to swap out the P-pups sometime soon for more Bartolinis. Awesome pickups.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Confused4930
I put a Bartolini humbucking soapbar on my P-bass's bridge position...the high end that thing adds is orgasmic. I plan to swap out the P-pups sometime soon for more Bartolinis. Awesome pickups.

I could swear that P basses had no bridge pup...

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

But you can use a router
Founder of Jaco society

They don't make 6 string pups. And if they do it's not on their website.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
They don't make 6 string pups. And if they do it's not on their website.

Fail.

http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/6st_bass_pu_s.htm

Though that might be replace by the new classic bass series.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So soundwise they are some of the pickups on the market?

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
So soundwise they are some of the pickups on the market?

Uh... yep. They are indeed some of the pickups on the market. But not all of them. There are other pickups on the market also...?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 11, 2007,
Quote by gm jack

That, my friend, is why God gave us routers and soldering irons.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by thefitz
Uh... yep. They are indeed some of the pickups on the market. But not all of them. There are other pickups on the market also...?

And that is why I should never try replying to posts after 4 hours of sleep.

I did mean, some of the best pickups on the market. Of course.

I've always had good luck with Bartolinis, you should like them too. The jazz sound you can get *not in reference to the Fender bass, but the music genre * is just great. They also get a nice, growly metal tone (depending on the model). Think of older Cannibal Corpse. All in all, a great all-around brand.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Nikki197666
And that is why I should never try replying to posts after 4 hours of sleep.

I did mean, some of the best pickups on the market. Of course.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the smartass response. It seemed like a bad translation and I love those (see: www.engrish.com ).

Anyway, IMO, Bartolini's are 'pretty' and 'gentle' sounding pickups. They're nice for unaccompanied solo and fusion Jazz stuff, but I don't think they'd fare well with an electric guitar going in the background. Their preamps are fine, but their pickups are a bit too brittle for my taste.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I heard their service department is really, really hard to get a hold of.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
So then, Mr fitzy (mind me calling you that?) What would you suggest for some heavy, grunty "I will rip your balls off" hard rock? Of course they must have a funk tone, or my bass will hate me.

Quote by thefitz
Sorry, I couldn't resist the smartass response. It seemed like a bad translation and I love those (see: www.engrish.com ).

Anyway, IMO, Bartolini's are 'pretty' and 'gentle' sounding pickups. They're nice for unaccompanied solo and fusion Jazz stuff, but I don't think they'd fare well with an electric guitar going in the background. Their preamps are fine, but their pickups are a bit too brittle for my taste.

They're actually too warm for me. Gentle is another word I'd use.

I suppose if you were doing something R&B or jazzy that needed a big bass sound, but if you want a tone to last in rock, I'd look elsewhere.

Personally, I am a firm believer in Nordstrand pickups. Every one I hear is amazing.
haha
Quote by Nikki197666
So then, Mr fitzy (mind me calling you that?) What would you suggest for some heavy, grunty "I will rip your balls off" hard rock? Of course they must have a funk tone, or my bass will hate me.

It's becoming a routine that MetalUpTheAss recommends Norstrand and I recommend Fender SCN's.

EMG's are very clean and sheen and good for hard rock, but they're a bit too sterile sounding for funk. I've yet to play a Seymour Duncan pickup that has sold me. The SCN's sound much better to me.

On my Fender with the 18V PreAmp, the SCN's trully rip balls off. Throw it behind an analogue distortion pedal (see: FULLTONE!), favour the neck pickup, crank the mids and you're a bloody terrorist. But, kill the treble and solo the bridge pickup, and you have a great modern Jazzy tone (see: Jaco). Have both pickups on, scoop the mids and boost the treble, and you have the quintessential slap tone.

However, I think in both cases, the important thing is the active pre-amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
The active preamp is there, so now worries about that (good job, warwick!)
So as far as Norstrand pickups go, what would a pair of them set me back?
Fender have never really made any product that has truly amazed me, except for recently i had the pleasure of hearing an old p bass (one with a p pickup and a jazz in the bridge) through an ampeg halfstack and a sansamp bass driver and i must say i quite enjoyed.
So through my mistrus for fender I would need a pretty outstanding pickup to even consider such a thing.