hey guys,

properly wont be likely but does anyone know some software or whatever that will allow me to play my cd's and dvd's on my computer with out a hard drive, like something that you burn onto a cd and just place into a optical drive and the pc reads all the info off that
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
well considering the hard drive contains the operating system... no, i don't think so.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

you can make discs which can load an operating system from the disc (usually dos or linux) and then run a program
pringa

Are you taking over? Or are you taking orders?
Are you going backwards? Or are you going forwards?

I think you'd have to worry more about your computer working without a hard drive.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Bubban
I think you'd have to worry more about your computer working without a hard drive.

lol, you can run software on cd's it's just the pc needs the cd all the time so it can read the data. but you can't save files due to the fact the pc wont be able to write on the cd, but i got 2 optical drives so i'm hoping i can get something that will let me play my dvds and stuff

(stupid xbox cd drive died and i can't watch my dvds )
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by cyclobs
just wanna be able to play cd's and watch dvds on a old computer till i can get a new HD for it

well you're going to need an operating system first, you can't just use an optical disc drive like a stereo.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Quote by Led Pepplin

well look at it this way,

a stereo's main function is to play audio and video, yet it doesn't have a HD to boot off from so how does it work?

and who said a pc is less compatible of doing the same job (just properly not as good)
Quote by musical donkey
i think this will do what you want

http://geexbox.org/en/index.html

i dont know your level of computer experience, so if you need any help just post

its actually quite possible to run a computer without a hard drive if you know what your doing, you can get the operating system to run straight off the cd
pringa

Quote by pringa

i dont know your level of computer experience, so if you need any help just post

its actually quite possible to run a computer without a hard drive if you know what your doing, you can get the operating system to run straight off the cd

not bad, i stand corrected well, sort of you still need an operating system!

Quote by Led Pepplin

Quote by pringa

computer experience is pretty high. lol.. thanx for that mate downloading that thing now. knew you could do it just didn't know what to look for
Quote by musical donkey
alright k cool, hope it works properly
pringa

Quote by irongoat666
not bad, i stand corrected well, sort of you still need an operating system!

There are Linux operating systems that run entirely from CD, with no hard drive needed. They load everything directly to RAM. I'm pretty sure that you can get sound and video drivers to work, but you may need another optical drive...one for the O/S and one for viewing. Common versions are Mepis and Knoppix...
Quote by denizenz
There are Linux operating systems that run entirely from CD, with no hard drive needed. They load everything directly to RAM. I'm pretty sure that you can get sound and video drivers to work, but you may need another optical drive...one for the O/S and one for viewing. Common versions are Mepis and Knoppix...

yep.. got all the things i need. not sure on how i will go on sound and video drivers but i'll work that out once i burn this cd right
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by denizenz

yeah i realise that now after seeing the link pringa posted but i was right when i said you needed an OS

Quote by Led Pepplin

Quote by pringa
alright k cool, hope it works properly

dang not working, pc is decting the cd then saying
cd-rom ect ect.
hard disk
operating system not found
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by denizenz
Are you set in BIOS to boot from CD first in the boot order?

ah nvm i got it working now.. was trying to burn a bootable img file when the iso image was already bootable.. lol.. it was just my hopeless burning skills
Quote by musical donkey
oh wow. the video and audio quality of this program is reli quite amazing. i would use this even if i did have a HD lol
Quote by musical donkey