Hi,
I have a Vox Cabinet at home, it used to belong to my dad. It has one single speaker in it, I opened it up, it´s just a big Box with a huge Speaker, and a jack input.
My question is, would it be possible to Plug a Amp head in to that thing? What about the Ohms, I heard they have to match up or something, how do I find out how many it has got?
Thanks.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
should be able to plug a head in there no problem, but yeah you need to find out the impedence etc first. i dunno how to help you with that though. is there anything written on the cabinet anywhere?
It just says Vox on the front, Maybe on the inside, I gotta check it when I´m back home.
Quote by fexnah
It just says Vox on the front, Maybe on the inside, I gotta check it when I´m back home.

yeah, look at the speaker inside, it's usually written on them, or at least a model number so you can look it up online. If you can't find it, you will need to actually measure it using an ohmmeter or multimeter. You want to match the impedance of whatever head you are using, with whatever impedance the speaker is. Some heads will have a switch to change what impedance it's expecting, just match it to the speaker.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Nice, thanks. So, theoretically any box with a speaker in it works with a head, if the impedance matches, it doesn't have to be a specific "Amp cabinet", right?
nope, no rules, as long as the speaker wattage handling capacity is enough for the head, and the impedance matches, you are golden. You could use a shoebox with a speaker. Materials, design, construction, and the specific speakers is what determines the sound you will be getting of course, but anything will work if the 2 main conditions are met. With speakers, they do make specific kinds of speakers for guitar amps to match the frequencies they produce. Like you wouldn't want to run a bass amp thru a guitar speaker, as the low freq would eventually wreck a guitar speaker. the excursion is much less with a guitar tone.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 10, 2007,
Cool. So for what kind of application was that Vox thing most likely built? Do they make other stuff that´s not for guitar? I plugged it in to my Powermixer, works fine...
I'd assume it was an extension cab for a guitar amp, but I don't know alot about what they made other than amps. Is it a 12" speaker? Take a look at the speaker model and who makes it, that might tell you what it was made for.
amp clips
amp vids
Well, I'm gonna dig this up.
I opened the thing, and it doesn't say anything on the Speaker, it's just blank, except for a little metal plate on the side that says 8 (omega symbol). This is it, or what?
yep that means its rated at 8 ohms impedence. so ul want to only run 8 ohms into it from your head
That's it. Its 8 ohms (ohms are represented by the Omega symbol.) You said big box with a huge speaker. I don't know if Vox made bass amps (don't remember) but maybe its a bass cab. If its a 12" its more likely guitar, but if its a 15" it could be bass. Won't hurt anything though and still might sound pretty good.
Yeah, cool. I don't know about the size, gonna check that.

So I can run, say, a Orange Tiny Terror into that thing, through the 8ohm output.
I checked, it's roughly 40cm, that's 15'', right?
There are 15" guitar speakers and they sound amazing (punchy, real good for palm-muting) but its more likely a bass speaker. It'll work and you might fall in love with the sound. See if it has enough high-frequency response for you.
Ok, unfortunately I haven't got any head to try it, and I don't know anyone who has, neither, but as I'm considering getting a Tiny Terror sometime now, I can try it with that cab and if it is no good I just get the matching cab. Thanks anyway.
Another thing, isn't it important to know the wattage of the Speaker? Will it harm if I plug a 100Watt head in to the thing, it perhaps being less? Or will the speaker just output the watts it can, finito?
Watts are important. In order to safely run a 100 watt head the speaker should be at least 150. For a 50 watt head about 75, and downward the pattern continues. The speaker should be rated about 150% of the rated power of the head.
Oh. And how do I know the wattage of mine?
It should be written on the back of the voice coil of the speaker or somewhere on the basket. Let us hope. If not try to find out the output of the original amp head it came with. You can look for serial numbers on the speaker but as it is old that may not be much help.
If you don't find out start a post in the Gear Building and Customizing thread. Those guys know a lot more than I. They may be able to identify the speaker for you. Be ready to give them the size, brand and numbers (including ohms) and even the color of the label. Good luck.
The problem is, the speaker is completely blank, it hasn't got any label or anything, just that little plate that says 8ohm. But i'm going to look again.
Anyway, I should be safe running a 15 watt head into that huge speaker, right?
And thanks, you're being a whole lotta help.
well, if you're running 15 watts into it you should be fine. there's not much lower than that.

if you plug into it you need a speaker not an instrument cable.
speakers are pretty easy to swap out if you ever want to.

and what combo do you have at home?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yeah, I know I can swap it, but I'm keen on knowing if that thing sounds good.
Well, I don't really have a amp that's mine, because I'm more a drummer than a guitarist, but I have a Marshall AVT275 that belongs to a friend and a Roland Cube, not mine either, that I keep in my bedroom.
im thinking if i wanted to know, i might hook the combo up to the vox's speaker.

the marshall would be too large. but that roland sounds interesting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

The marshall has got two jack things that go into the speakers on the rear, but how could I hook up the roland?
you'd have to take it apart if it's less than the 60 series.

add a jack to it's speaker.

it's not hard but i guess not cool, if someone else owns it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah, i'm not tearing apart my friends cube.
If it's open back, in theory couldn't you unhook the wires from the combo amp's speaker and connect them to the other speaker to see how it sounds? Often the wires are not soldered to the speakers, but sort of clipped on. Just make sure the impedance matches.

Actually, don't do this unless someone else here more knowledgeable than I says it's a good idea. I think it would be fine, but I'm far from an authority in this area.
No, I guess I wait until I get a Tiny Terror, which I hope will be soon, or maybe not.