so i'm in a band as the guitarist, and the bassist usually just doubles the guitar chords as single notes.
this works on some songs, but i think we should have some really cool bass lines. that jump around and have sweet fills everywhere.

does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Behringer HB01 Wah (I realize it sucks, but i have no money right now)
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
-Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger
-I'm not gonna list my amp until I get a decent one
Well, just take the chords you are playing and then have the bassist, make a line that fits those chords or scale. There is o real set way to make a bassline. If you're just kind of riffing, then have your bassist make a riff that compliments that somehow. Try getting him to listen to the influences you look to for writing and then their bass players and see what kind of things they're doing.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, just take the chords you are playing and then have the bassist, make a line that fits those chords or scale.

but the thing is i dont know what scales to use over the chords.
-Gibson SG Faded
Quote by gtrhero93
so i'm in a band as the guitarist, and the bassist usually just doubles the guitar chords as single notes.
this works on some songs, but i think we should have some really cool bass lines. that jump around and have sweet fills everywhere.

does anyone have any tips on how to do this?
Why can't more band mates want this... *sigh*
Quote by fenderbassist12
if he doesnt know theory get him a teacher and get him to learn some theory.
This is a good idea, although you don't need to necessarily get him a teacher. If he doesn't know some music theory get the guitarists to teach him some, or he could learn it online or through a book. It's really not that hard.

Also, as Jazz mentioned, a good way to come up with good basslines is to work something based around the chords that the guitarist is playing. Also, if the bassist himself can come up with something unique then you can ask the guitarist to come up with something else, making both parts unique (Assuming the bassist isn't root bashing (Playing single note riffs)

Also, if you haven't done so. Make sure his influences are good and that his listening to musicians/bands with good basslines. Some easy to listen to stuff that has good bass is Incubus, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Police, and most old school funk
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by gtrhero93
There's a real good stickied lesson in the Musicians Talk forum that explains most facets of theory, you should check it out. Also, to figure out the key your in, you usually have to play scales until you find the right one. Most oftenly (Especially in punk music), the scale can be found starting on the first note of the first chord. If that doesn't help, write down all the notes that your playing in your chords, and then see what scale fits them.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Pesky noob bassists... get him to buy a theory book. Alternatively, beat him to death with his own shoes.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
beat him to death with his own shoes.

This definatley needs to be done, for the sake of your band
'Member of the official Biffy Clyro Fanclub. PM onlyonehere to join'
Learn theory. learn scales and stuff thats how i learned how to do it and i've got it prety good now.
Quote by gtrhero93

Map out the notes from the chords you're playing and the then you can scales they're derrived from.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Yeah.. Learn some theory, basic scale stuff should be enough for now.

Then, when you have a progression, have him start out simple, playing roots. Have him progress to work in octaves and fifths. Once you reach that, get him to explore the notes on the scale more.

Eventually, the bassline will evolve. On almost every song my band plays, the bass line started out as me just hitting roots notes, but got more complicated and mroe complex as we played it more. It's just a matter of letting the music write itself, in a way.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
well, i know some guitar theory, but as i'm not a bassist i have no idea whats going on in the realm of 4 strings.
-Gibson SG Faded