So I've had these strings on my guitar for maybe 2 months...
I have 2 questions:

Does the nasty dead skin that nbuilds up on the strings do anything to you sound?

How often do you usually change your strings?
change them every 2 months or so max

they lose their really shrill brightness from when they were new in the first couple of days. They eventually start to sound more and more dull (not that thats a bad thing).
but after 2 months of playing they're already pretty ugly to play which would be the main reason to change them
I've had my strings for almost 2 years and I've never noticed and thing like that... Nothings wrong with them at all...
I'm Tyler
Octtwe, you would notice if you changed them. Believe me, you will feel and hear the difference straight away. Just listen to your guitar unplugged, and you'll know what we're talking about.
I hate the feel of playing guitar when the strings are in a state. I play a lot, and my fingers get sweaty quick... so I end up changing mine every couple of weeks. Even though I don't really wipe the strings down after like some people do - so that might help.

I find that the grime eventually winds up underneath the string (facing the fretboard). Today I got some paper... put it between my strings and the fretboard, folded it over and just ran it up and down. Took it off and it had a load of grime on - so I guess that works.
Quote by seljer
change them every 2 months or so max

they lose their really shrill brightness from when they were new in the first couple of days. They eventually start to sound more and more dull (not that thats a bad thing).
but after 2 months of playing they're already pretty ugly to play which would be the main reason to change them

Two months would be too long for some people....If you are an every day player I would recommend changing every two weeks. Just buy those big daddario bulk packs
i change as muhc as possible, 2-3 weeks if possible, i hate the feeling
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
wow... every 2 weeks? i think that's a bit extreme. i think i'll go with a month and a half. but the thing is... when you get new strings, they don't stay in tune as well as older strings (not old strings, but older).
they take a few days to settle down into the guitar
stretch them out a bit when you put them on (just pull on them, do some bends, with the tremolo bar maybe), it speeds up the process

playing on a sleek new set of strings is one of those moments that makes life good
Brand new strings make my guitar sad. I need nice dark sounding grubby strings to sound right.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I use elixirs so I change every third month or so.
And just because there is goo from the fingers on the strings, it doesn't mean that they are dead and needs to be changed. Just wipe it off with a rag or something.
i change the strings on my main axe once every week or two weeks. im constantly practicing on my own or with my band (3 or 4 times a week), and the odd gig makes you sweat your little tit ends off, to the strings tend to tarnish a lot quicker.