Ok so I'm involved in some D.I.Y. recording at the moment with my band. I've no previous studio or recording knowledge of any kind so any advice would help, but basically we're just thinking of instead of using direct inputs from the instruments (into my Zoom multi track recorder), micing up the amps and drums etc. Are there any dangers involved with putting a mic infront of an amp. I've been told something about static electricity building up to quite large amounts or something due to friction.
But anyway, is this option advisable/safe? Obviously the drums need micing up but it's not necessary for the electronic instruments.

Any help, advice or tips for anything to do with recording would also be useful.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Godbe
Are there any dangers involved with putting a mic infront of an amp. I've been told something about static electricity building up to quite large amounts or something due to friction.

No, and I dont no where you would get this idea. You can do the classic sm57 on axis about 4 inches from your guitar amp to record yourself. Mic everything else and run it through a mixer to a digital recorder or computer.
yeah

you can mic anything you want
i think it sounds better
especially if you get the right room/mic/cab combo
you can get some sweet sweet loving sounds

just dont put the mic to close to the cab or the sound will get muddy
id say any where from 5 to 8 inches and you are good
"you just got to punch it"
"thats what im talkin about"
"just punch the frets"
Quote by albino strat!
No, and I dont no where you would get this idea. You can do the classic sm57 on axis about 4 inches from your guitar amp to record yourself. Mic everything else and run it through a mixer to a digital recorder or computer.

My music teacher is a bit... Eccentric shall we say. Anyway I only heard that he'd said that.
To be honest, I don't have any studio quality mics for recording, just some lame karaoke style mics that pick up soud fairly well. Are these just a complete waste of time?
Quote by Godbe
My music teacher is a bit... Eccentric shall we say. Anyway I only heard that he'd said that.
To be honest, I don't have any studio quality mics for recording, just some lame karaoke style mics that pick up soud fairly well. Are these just a complete waste of time?

I've used stuff like that before. I wouldn't quite say its a waste of time. You will for sure not get near the quality with them as you would with a more expensive mic. ( SM 57! )
Quote by No_Mercy10
I've used stuff like that before. I wouldn't quite say its a waste of time. You will for sure not get near the quality with them as you would with a more expensive mic. ( SM 57! )

But is the quality at least good enough so that you get a decently loud and clear sound?
Quote by Godbe
I've been told something about static electricity building up to quite large amounts or something due to friction.
But anyway, is this option advisable/safe? Obviously the drums need mic'ing up but it's not necessary for the electronic instruments.

Wow - in all my years of recording I have never heard that one before. You should be fine.

Now as to the mic situation - if you can afford SM57's they are definitely worth you money - if you are totally broke you have to work with what you got.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.