I want to get this amp because i want a marshall tube amp, and I won't be gigging for a long time since i've been only playing for 5 months. So would this amp be too loud for me when playing in my bedroom? For those who own the amp can you tell me how loud it is when you crank it to 1, 3,5 etc. on the volume control? I've owned a 5w crate tube amp, so how would it compare to the marshall in terms of loudness?

I put the volume at 4 o' clock position on the 5w tube amp, when im playing it

Also, any chance I can get a dsl 201, other than ebay?
^^ I've heard that the sound quite marshall-y, and the Tiny Terror is 7 or 15 watts, which is still quite loud, but not as loud as the DSL401, which is 50 or 100 watts? And if you get a lower wattage, even though you'll be playing it at a low volume, it still may be up halfway or so, so you get a little bit of what makes tube amps so great.
Quote by Codog
^^ I've heard that the sound quite marshall-y, and the Tiny Terror is 7 or 15 watts, which is still quite loud, but not as loud as the DSL401, which is 50 or 100 watts? And if you get a lower wattage, even though you'll be playing it at a low volume, it still may be up halfway or so, so you get a little bit of what makes tube amps so great.

It's commonly said around here that Orange out-Marshall Marshall. The Tiny Terror would be a better choice, IMO. It's a little bit more portable (especially if you know friends with decent cabs), and you the 7W/15W switch is useful, if not all that effective. The 15W option will get you more headroom when TS is onto bigger rehearsals and/or small gigs. The 7W will be more than loud enough for rehearsals, though, but the major advantage of 7W is it'll breakup sooner, giving you that lovely Orangey, British sounding OD that everybody craves.
Quote by Codog

DSL 401 is 40 watts, but thats wayyy too loud for the bedroom. The 7 watt setting on the TT is going to wayyy too loud, as well.
I use an RP250A with head phones and run a 1/8" inch from my PC to my Effects units input to practice in the bedroom.
Completely silent.
lol 40 watt tube for bedroom practice, definately sig worthy.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Good god its not that crazy, sig worthy? stfu, i use between 30-60 watts in my bedroom and of course you cant crank the hell out of it but they sound a damn sight better than modelling amps, if the TS wants a tube amp then fair play to him! I have to say though that if you are planning on playing it at barely audible levels it wont sound good, if you can play it at just-about-able-to-talk-over-it levels then itll sound fine. on one it will be a bit too quiet, 3 or 4 will be ideal, 5 might make your parents a bit mad!
Diezel, Motherfucker
people always say how tube amps are crap unless you crank them but i feel this is just jumping on the band wagon as usual. they still sound great at lower volumes, just not AS good. but for bedroom practice you aren't going to be obsessing over your tone. i've never tried a 40w tube amp really low only a 30w but there won't be much difference there. it was still quite loud but it was a volume i would be able to get away with at home. i suggest you test it out in a guitar shop at a low volume to see if it's quiet enough (agreed at about 1 the amp sounds crap, but that goes for any amp imo)

also see how far you can crank it in a shop to see if you'd be happy enough with the difference of sound at different volumes
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeah this thread has a bit of n00bness happening.. I used a 200W tube halfstack for bedroom practice..

Tube amps still sound FINE at low volumes. They just sound BETTER at high volume. They don't sound bad at low volumes, just not as good as they could.
Also 40W would be fine for bedroom practice, and if/when you do start gigging you won't need to upgrade because 40W will do any gig easily.

So as long as you like the amp and the tones you get from it, I say go for it.
My tiny terror sounds fantastic at bedroom levels, and I'm sure it would be a better amp than the dsl if you're just sticking to bedroom purposes. But frankly I don't know what people consider bedroom levels because I think I play mine pretty loud. You won't be able to talk over my playing, and the walls, lightbulbs, and my bed begin to shake sometimes. But it still sounds great at low volumes.
^ I agree to with everything donhumpador said, hes got an awesome name too, a tiny terror would be fun but you would need a cab as well, that might get a bit annoying, but you might like it, everyones tastes vary! If you can swing it price wise i think the orange rocker 30 would be ideal, its such a beautiful amp, perfect for bedroom and you can easily gig with it, its my next buy without a doubt, at the end of the day if you do get a tube amp for bedroom practise and you hate the tone without cranking it then a good od pedal through the clean channel is still better than the cheaper ss modelling amps!
Diezel, Motherfucker
I play my 30 watt Marshall halfstack in my bedroom all the time, it sounds great.
Before I downsized my home rig to that, I had a 50 watt JCM 900 and that even sounded fine at low volumes.

They just sound much better when cranked, but not 'bad' when they're not.

The Tiny Terror is a wonderful little amplifier that is really cool for bedroom playing because they sound great and the size is just cool.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!