I recently discovered Economy picking after extensively using Alternate for almost a year. I understand the whole principle behind it but I've been having issues with it.

When I do the Major Scale:

G Major (For example)

E|---------------------------2-3--|
B|-----------------------3-5------|
G|-----------------2-4-5----------|
D|-----------2-4-5----------------|
A|-----2-3-5----------------------|
E|-3-5----------------------------|

*I have no problems until the where the last note on the string ends in an upstroke thus defeating the minimizing principle in the 1st place.

Lastly: With Chromatics (4 notes per string) Economy picking seems impossible without the use of Alternate strokes thrown in.

**Is there a way to do Chromatics using Economy Picking?**
no
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
I swear I saw sweeping his first post!

Damn. Fair enough... whatever then.

Edit: No I didn't - I was reading something else.
Pure economy picking (no alternate, no hammer ons or pulloffs), follows a simple
rule: odd number of notes picked per string to move in the same direction, even
number to reverse directions. That's it. You have to live by those rules to pure
economy pick or also use alternate picking or legato.

EDIT: so if you want to pure economy pick the G major scale, use 3 note per string
major scale fingering. That's just one of the benefits of that fingering.
Last edited by edg at Aug 10, 2007,
Quote by moona
*I have no problems until the where the last note on the string ends in an upstroke thus defeating the minimizing principle in the 1st place.

No, it doesn't. Just downpick to get to the high e. That's as economical as it gets.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.