hey guys, so I've decided to get new pickups, i have been looking at a Seymour Duncan sh-4 jb and sh-1 59 comb. are these good for playing metal. i have an ibanez rg550 with rosewood fingerboard and a basswood body. i also have a marshal amp that is a 30 watt mg30 dfx. i want to know if these pickups work when i put on a lot of gain and if they're good for any style of metal including death metal. yet i also want to know if it is versatile for clean tones also.
Last edited by kazra90 at Aug 10, 2007,
EMG 81 and 85s...Forget those others lol

85 neck, 81 bridge I think is the best set up
I have the JB on my Dean and it's great for metal/hard rock. Its pretty bassy though, so dont get it if your looking for bright tones. On clean its pretty deep and bluesy...i love it personally. It handles dropped tuning well too.
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Velvet Revolver/Alice in Chains- 10/7/07
Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Stone Temple Pilots- 8/22/08
Quote by kazra90
i also have a marshal amp that is a 30 watt mg30 dfx. .

I will be the first of probably quite a few to say save the money and get a new amp. New pickups won't make that much difference going through a mg. Especially EMGs.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
it can hit pretty hard....its deffinately not a p*ssy with distortion and it doesnt get muddy, its all pretty clear so long your amp is decent.
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
You'd most likely be better off getting a new amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
wats wrong with my amp? y wouldnt new pickups sound good with it?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
you could do better...MGs arent the best on any front, but ive heard worse....you probably CAN still hear a difference, just not as noticable as with a tube amp...my amp is SS, and i could tell a difference in pups
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
I've got a Schecter Blackjack with JB and '59, the JB is definately quite bassy but the guitar is made of mahogany and has a set neck, so the tone would be pretty deep anyway. It handles metal without problem, bands like Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Nightwish and a lot of others use JB's (and '59s). And personally, I absolutely love them aswell. I definately prefer them over EMG's, in every aspect.
Quote by FacingUsAll
You'd most likely be better off getting a new amp.

+1

aye, he's right. while a new set of pick-ups will make a difference, it's going to be TINY when your playing through an MG. basically, MG's are poo, and i wish i could come up with a nice whitty way of telling you how bad they are without coping someone else's line, but it can't be done as everyone here rails on MG's, and for good reason. Instead of unloading on some pickups, consider a new amp for a drastic improvement in tone ( and more metal too! ). once your playing thru a yummy-liscious tube amp ( or a nicer solid state ) , then you can consider your pickups options.

would i still be able to hear a good amount of diffrence with my amp if i did switch pups?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
It wouldn't be what you're hoping for.

Quote by slowhand91
I have the JB on my Dean and it's great for metal/hard rock. Its pretty bassy though, so dont get it if your looking for bright tones. On clean its pretty deep and bluesy...i love it personally. It handles dropped tuning well too.

Are we talking about the same pickup???????????

The JB is like alllllllll treble.

I'd look at a Seymour Duncan Custom/Custom Custom/Distortion/Something else that I'm probably forgetting.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Aug 10, 2007,
probably...they always help. It wont be TOO drastic though
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Quote by FacingUsAll
It wouldn't be what you're hoping for.

Are we talking about the same pickup???????????

The JB is like alllllllll treble.

Its bassier when compared to a pickup like the Jazz.
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Quote by slowhand91

o_O

+1 on getting a new amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Save up and buy a cheap used tube amp or something. The MG is going to sound like poop no matter what you put on/in your guitar
whats a good amp that u guys recommend i'm only willing to spend 350$ at the most
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by slowhand91

Ummm.

What???

The JB is the pickup in the bridge. That one is bassier than your neck pickup????

You must have some crazy alternate universe version of the JB; it's the only explanation.

Quote by kazra90
whats a good amp that u guys recommend i'm only willing to spend 350$ at the most

The Roland Cubes are pretty suited to metal.
Quote by utsapp89
is the roland cube a tube amp?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90

A Roland Cube 30 or a Vox AD30VT XL
Quote by FacingUsAll
Ummm.

What???

The JB is the pickup in the bridge. That one is bassier than your neck pickup????

You must have some crazy alternate universe version of the JB; it's the only explanation.

The Roland Cubes are pretty suited to metal.

hmm....maybe it was just my amp setting at the time
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Last edited by slowhand91 at Aug 10, 2007,
and with the Roland cube 60 will i be able to hear the difference in pups?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
and with the Roland cube 60 will i be able to hear the difference in pups?

yeah but thats further down the road. i started out with the epiphone kit, as you did, and i bought a vox AD30VT, and my epiphone LP special 2 actually sounds good. you don't need to worry about pups, as the amp will make a tremendous difference to your sound.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
is the cube a good amp for playing metal? and i mean anything from metallica to really heavy stuff liek death metal
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
is the cube a good amp for playing metal? and i mean anything from metallica to really heavy stuff liek death metal

yes
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.