Hi!
I've been looking into getting a new amp. I've done lot's of research and I've been looking into an ENGL Fireball/Powerball/Blackmore or possibly something like a Peavey 6505. A few days ago I went to sweden stockholm to get my hands on some metal amps.

I got to try a Framus Cobra which seemed pretty nice but kinda fizzy I'm sure that was just my EQing as I didn't try it for a very long time since it is out of my price range anyway. I tried a Diezel Einsten which is an amp I didn't really like. Also way out of my price range.
Then I tried an ENGL Fireball and it was very plesant. I remember I liked the tone. After that I went to another store to get my hands on an ENGL Powerball.
I loved it, that amp seemed to have so much versatility. After the Powerball I tried the Fireball again just to compare and I liked both but I dont remember much more.

I dont know how much versatility I'll need. I will definitely not need a crunch channel. But to me it seemed like the Fireball has one kick ass hi gain tone and the Powerball has several. If I get the Fireball + the MXR 10-band EQ I can get more tones available right?

Also if I get the Powerball I'll have to cheap out on the cab whereas I've located a nice deal on an ENGL Fireball + Marshall 1960A cab + Z4 foot switch for 1100€.

Kinda hard to tell you what tones I like. I love the distortion on the Cradle of Filth album Damination and a Day. But a Mesa dual Rectifire just costs to much over here. I also kinda like the tone on Insomniums latest album as well as dark tranquillity fiction but I want to find my own tone.

My price range is maybe 1500 - 1600€ max and I'm going used.

I'd like to hear your thoughts! I didn't get to try a Peavey 6505 but I'd rather get the more distinctive tone of an ENGL I guess.

Looking forward to reading your replies.
Thx!
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
The Fireball would suit you well, there's lots of tones to be had with one and a 10 band would give you alot more. If you just need good cleans and good high gain then a Fireball would be great.
are you sure you don't need a crunch channel?

do you need brutal amounts of gain for modern metal?

you haven't been able to try a blackmore?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by El Codyo
The Fireball would suit you well, there's lots of tones to be had with one and a 10 band would give you alot more. If you just need good cleans and good high gain then a Fireball would be great.

Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks!
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you sure you don't need a crunch channel?

I dont know what I'd use it for. I dont play blues (Well to be honest I do play a little blues but it's just for practice and I dont need a blues tone.), I dont play classic rock. And correct me if I'm wrong but if I wanted a crunch tone couldn't I just get a tube screamer to put some overdrive on the clean channel?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you need brutal amounts of gain for modern metal?

I want a thick, tight tone with brutal amounts of gain so YES!
Quote by Dave_Mc
you haven't been able to try a blackmore?

I REALLY want to but not a single store in stockholm has one. I've heard clips of it and I liked what I heard.

More thoughts?
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
The Blackmore sounds a little less agressive than the Fireball IMO, just smoother. It's quite a bit more versatile than the Fireball, but you said you didn't really need that.

What are you thinking about along the line of cabs?
you'd need to try an overdrive with the clean channel of the fireball. should do it, but just in case.

i suspect you want a fireball... the blackmore is quite a bit less modern-sounding. Almost more like engl's take on a hot-rodded marshall.

powerball would doubtless be good too if you can stretch to it, similar brutality (if not more so) with more versatility to boot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by El Codyo
What are you thinking about along the line of cabs?

Thats the tricky thing, more in depth later in the post.
Quote by Dave_Mc

powerball would doubtless be good too if you can stretch to it, similar brutality (if not more so) with more versatility to boot.

That's what I fear! If I go Powerball I wont be able to get a cab right now. at least not a decent one. I can get a Fireball with a nice Marshall 1960A cab with V30s for a good price but what if I later on hear a Powerball and go "omg that sound so much better than my fireball". Also for the price I could get a Powerball + good cab I could get a Fireball + ISP Decimator+ MXR 10-Band EQ + XBucker.
haha this is a hard choice really since 1000+€ is alot of money for me.
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
^ yep, it's definitely a hard decision. Only you can really make it.

You could maybe make do with that framus 2x12 cab? it's like 300 euro... could you still afford that with the powerball? EDIT: also bear in mind the footswitch is extra
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vintage 30's in many cases make your sound fizzy, so be carefull!
Also, you said hi-end, 1500euros and 5105 in the same post, these things don't mix!
If you found the Cobra fizzy, then the Peavey won't do it for you.
Also, to me hi-end means perfect components, handmade production, which leads costs to 2000 euros+ etc. So, I think you are looking for a decent factory amp in your price range.
Have you tried any Hughes&Kettner stuff?
Should be under your budget and the tone might do it for you.
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
Quote by Jezuzzz
Vintage 30's in many cases make your sound fizzy, so be carefull!
Also, you said hi-end, 1500euros and 5105 in the same post, these things don't mix!
If you found the Cobra fizzy, then the Peavey won't do it for you.
Also, to me hi-end means perfect components, handmade production, which leads costs to 2000 euros+ etc. So, I think you are looking for a decent factory amp in your price range.
Have you tried any Hughes&Kettner stuff?
Should be under your budget and the tone might do it for you.

Well that's why I put High end within "". And to me high end means a professional sounding amp. If lot's of bands use the 5150/6505s then that's enough for me to deem it "high end". Though what you say makes sence I'm going to stick with hi end.
You say the V30's can make the sound fizzy? All I've heard is that the V30's are the best sounding speakers around for metal . I tried the Fireball through an ENGL cab with V60's. When I tried the Powerball and the Fireball again it was connected to some kind of Hi-Watt cab but it sounded great!
And yes, I've been looking into the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade but I didn't find one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yep, it's definitely a hard decision. Only you can really make it.

You could maybe make do with that framus 2x12 cab? it's like 300 euro... could you still afford that with the powerball? EDIT: also bear in mind the footswitch is extra

Yes in fact I have. If I get the Fireball + Marshall cab I get the Z-4 footswitch. And it all depends on how cheap I get the Powerball because right now there really aren't any good deals around.
Do you think the Powerball is worth the extra money if I can squeeze it out? When trying out the Powerball I noticed that on the hi gain channel you could switch between to types of mids (dont remember the names). Is that the kind of tone differences I can expect with the EQ pedal I mentioned. If so, I think I'm going Fireball.
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
^ to be honest: i haven't tried the powerball in ages, so I'm wary of saying. My tastes have changed quite dramatically since I tried the powerball, so really anything i say about it probably isn't worth listening to, lol. also, a newer version of the powerball has been released, so if you're buying new, i haven't tried that one either...

i wouldn't necessarily say v30's are the "best" for metal, but they do seem to suit engls quite nicely. That's not to say there aren't other speakers which are even nicer again.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Ok do you know what the differences between the old and the new version are? Could be kinda hard to tell if you haven't played it I guess...

I've also noticed the Americans get these great cheap cabs called Vader. Does Europe have any small company like that with great cheap cabs?
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
^ not sure about the cabs, unfortunately...

i believe the built-in noise gate has been improved in the newer version, and the treble control has been changed on the high gain channels to give a wider range. As far as I know.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vader cabs uses Eminence Legend speackers, great for metal!
There are some companies that make decent cabs for decent prices, but I don't think that their cabs are in the same league.... different design for different sounds...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
I have a friend who uses a powerball during jam sessions and it kinda has this scooped mids voicing to it, and he didnt even scoop the mids. Maybe its the mid structure or something, i dunno. I played with it too and mids was a little too lacking for my taste, after much eq'ing.

When I A/B'ed the 5150 with his powerball, the 5150 seems to cut thru the band mix better too. But tonally, when the powerball was played alone, it has a somewhat nicer tone than the 5150 imo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by tabs aint cats
^Ok do you know what the differences between the old and the new version are? Could be kinda hard to tell if you haven't played it I guess...

I've also noticed the Americans get these great cheap cabs called Vader. Does Europe have any small company like that with great cheap cabs?

yeah they are a small unknown company called marshall

the 5150/6505 is very mid heavy so that would explain the previous posters cut through the mix.
laney, matamp, framus would also be worth a look for the cabs (only tried laney out of those). Award session and tube-town.de (something like that) apparently make nice cabs for cheap, too, but again, i haven't tried them.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tabs aint cats

Fame G1

Celestion's V30
I recommend trying the Rivera K-Tre.
I was never a big metal fan, but I've tried that head (with an avatar 4x12) and it had an amazing tone. really sharp, clear OD(dist.) . great cleans too..
it's 120W, has about twice the gain anyone would ever want and then a gain boost ..
excellent build quality too .