Am hankering after a strat but feel loath to spend the dough (bear in mind inflated UK prices) for an American standard. Call me a snob but I don't feel like getting a second hand guitar which has had someone else's sweaty paws all over it.

Is it worth the extra money over a H1? Bearing in mind the money saved could perhaps go towards some BKPs or the like in the future. As far as I can see the only differences are pickups, the tone circuit and small details like having a 2 pt bridge (I set up my 6 pts to act as 2 pts anyway) and rolled fingerboard edges. I have heard a nitrocellulose finish (on the H1) is superior too.

Thanks.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
what amp u using?>
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you don't mind the satin Nitro finish, which will wear down VERY easily, I see no reason not to get the Hwy1; being as it is you would upgrade the pickups in the future.

It's not so much a cheaper guitar as a different one IMO. There are a host of small differences. if you try one and like it better, go for it. However, it might not feel the same due to these differences.

A lot of people seem to compare them directly, but IMO they are quite different.
spend the extra money.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
Quote by jj1565
what amp u using?

Fender HRD. I am perfectly happy with it. Guitar playing is just a hobby for me and I can't justify paying huge amounts of money for high end gear.

Quote by pitbull510
spend the extra money.

Can you give me reasons why please?
Hot Rod Deluxe
yeah just wondering cause. i would definately tell u to go cheaper on the guitar if u amp sucked.

but ur all set there...

i happen to like how nitro finishes feel.
so, if you like how the h1 plays, it's a perfectly good alternative.

before they upgraded them over a year ago, i felt they were a rip off, but now fine for the money.

i also like the 50's and 60's classic strats. mim but still play very nice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Highway one and just install new Fralin pups.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by jj1565
yeah just wondering cause. i would definately tell u to go cheaper on the guitar if u amp sucked.

but ur all set there...

i happen to like how nitro finishes feel.
so, if you like how the h1 plays, it's a perfectly good alternative.

before they upgraded them over a year ago, i felt they were a rip off, but now fine for the money.

i also like the 50's and 60's classic strats. mim but still play very nice.

Actually yeah, check out the 60s strats. I like them quite a bit. A laquered neck just feels "right" on a strat.
I've not really tried the Highway 1 strat, but when I bought my Tele, I tried pretty much the whole range, there is something about the MIA Tele, can't say exactly what it is, but it feels so much nicer than anything else IMO - it might even be as simple as the way the neck is finished - I'd recommend trying them both, at length - if your local guitar shop is any good, it shouldn't be a problem.

Just go with what feels best.

The finish on the American kits it really tough, I've had a couple of "moments" when I've knocked mine, once pretty had on the corner of a table, and it hasn't marked at all. Also as you are in the UK have a look at www.thomann.de or www.gak.co.uk - they are about the cheapest. Thomann will give you free shipping and a 3 year warranty which covers all the stuff that Fender's lifetime warranty doesn't - that made is worth the £20 or so more they were charging over GAK.
Personally, I'd go with the American Standard over the HWY1. The AS has better sounding pups(to my ears) and I'm just not a fan of the thin satin finish. It looks kind of cool and all, but it's so unforgiving when it comes to wear. If you like a worn in look, then that's hardly an issue for you. Plus you get a hardshell case with an AS versus a gig bag with a HWY1. Resale is somewhat important to me as well and I can't help but think that the AS will retain value better. Unloading an AS would probably be easier if I was ever hurting for cash(the only reason why I would ever sell). If you plan on modding your Strat, the HWY1 would probably be more sensible. One last thing, you shouldn't rule out getting a used guitar. If you're patient, you shouldn't have much difficulty finding a mint AS and save a good hundred pounds in the process.
Maybe instead of the Highway 1, you could look at Classic Player's 50's and 60's Strats? They've got the same trem as the American Standards, with the CP60's having Custom Shop '69 Pickups, and the CP50's having American Vintage Pickups. They should both be cheaper than the Highway 1, so if you're looking for more of a vintage tone, you might wanna look out for them. Maybe a japanese Strat of some sort too?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by pEdAl2
Fender HRD. I am perfectly happy with it. Guitar playing is just a hobby for me and I can't justify paying huge amounts of money for high end gear.

haha that's pretty much a pro-quality amp. tons of touring bands in the US use em. i would put that in the mid to high end bracket.
Someone above mentioned Classic Player series Strats - which I have played and the quality in construction and sound is terrific, especially for the price.
Recently, I've had the pleasure of playing 60s edition in a gorgeous in a bue finish. Sounds great, noticeably hotter/more raw than the average strats I've come across. It adds to the vintage vibe and it was a pleasant surprised to see that it houses a two point synchronised tremolo, which apparently was only offered in Custom Shop models before.
I'm seriously considering it as a backup guitar over an American series because in all points of view, it's a steal.
Quote by Hemani Co
Someone above mentioned Classic Player series Strats - which I have played and the quality in construction and sound is terrific, especially for the price.
Recently, I've had the pleasure of playing 60s edition in a gorgeous in a bue finish. Sounds great, noticeably hotter/more raw than the average strats I've come across. It adds to the vintage vibe and it was a pleasant surprised to see that it houses a two point synchronised tremolo, which apparently was only offered in Custom Shop models before.
I'm seriously considering it as a backup guitar over an American series because in all points of view, it's a steal.

I dunno whether to get a CP50s or CP60s. I guess I'll have to try them out, cos I dunno whether I prefer maple over rosewood, or if I prefer the different pups over each other.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
The only knock I can give the highway1 is the pups. I put a new one in the bridge and only paid 499 for the strat new at GC. So I have a sweet MIA strat for under 600. mine sounds as good as the higher priced ones. If you like the finish on one then get it.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Ok I had a similar conflict the other day when i picked out my strat, i also had a MIM thrown in as well. The finish on the highway will mark easily BUT it will age so much better, the moisture will be able to work its way out of the wood overtime and its tone will develop with age, I personally found the highway headstock to be too big for my judgeing eyes. I played around with that, the MIA and the MIM and actually ended up going for the MIM! its tone was vastly sperior, the cleans were phenominal. I got it for £269 because some guy had had it for 5 days before me (didnt play it, only thing he did wastake the plastic wrapping off the pickgaurd b4 changing his mind). Moral of the story, the cheaper option can just as easily be the superior guitar, u really have to play the 2 at the same time and compare. Try some MIMs aswell (maybe consider the Lite Ash model? Just a thought to rock the boat a bit.
Maybe take a look at customizing your own Carvin Bolt?

They are surprisingly inexpensive .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
yeah carvins are nice. i almost went that route. but for me, there's something about a fender i really appreciate.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The extra cash they can charge you for the name?

Hey-o!

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Alright, I was too lazy to read everyone else post, so I'm sorry if someone already said this, but about I month ago I made this exact thread and the answer is no. Get the H1 it's an amazing guitar. I bought the HSS model and would suggest that you consider the HSS as it adds alot of versatility with taking away much. But make sure you find a good one, because the wood greatly varies. I played one that was decent, and one that was amazing.
Edwards, Blade, Tokai.

Seriously, they'll rape the highway one, for less (EDIT: or similar) money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 11, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
The extra cash they can charge you for the name?

Hey-o!

awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guess I'll have to go down to the guitar shop and try every single strat they've got then... Thanks for the (varying - heh) advice all.
Hot Rod Deluxe