What should i do for guitar practice? such as, how many hours a day, scales? songs? what do you do?

I'm fairly new, im mainly into metal bands such as metallica, anthrax, megadeth, judas priest, iron maiden, black sabbath...all the big ones.

What are good beginner songs to learn? what scales do i need to practice for soloing? LINK ME!!
um i would learn all 12 major scales which wont be that hard but then learn pentatonic scales and then arpeggios and work on playing these with a metronome and speeding up your picking.as far as hours go you will have to fit that into your own schedule.i personally only practise about 5 hours a day because of work and such but good work on learning you chose a challenging style to play
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
learn this song from Megadeth, Kill the King. Easy song and fairly easy solo to learn. Practice any scales, use this site itself, it has many great lessons to learn. My guitar practice was Practice Alternate Picking, do some scales, such as 1-2-3-4 all over and up and down the neck. so my fingers would reach farther. Now my guitar practice is learning anything from a song to a new technique. Always keep learning, you dont want to get stuck with just some techniques. hour wise maybe 2? if iam free around 4 or 5 hours a day. Remember if u get stuck on something hard, practice, when u think u had enough. stop! then just go practice something else, dont let frustration get the best of you. some good songs to learn from those bands would be WarPigs-Black Sabbath, Solar Angels-Judas Priest, Fade to black- Metallica, Flight of Icarus- Iron Maiden. good luck!
LOL
the trooper by iron maiden is a good beginner song to learn. i would learn the minor pentatonic scale. if u r going to be playing metal u need to have a good picking hand so practice alternate picking and other picking patterns such as galloping. oh and enter sandman by metallica is pretty fun and easy
Quote by cmickd06
the trooper by iron maiden is a good beginner song to learn. i would learn the minor pentatonic scale. if u r going to be playing metal u need to have a good picking hand so practice alternate picking and other picking patterns such as galloping. oh and enter sandman by metallica is pretty fun and easy

so true...
oh, and something that challenges you speedwise is nice too if you're having a crappy day and you're not especially interested in refining your technical skills at the moment
i would learn the minor pentatonic scale

Yes learn this scale first, presonally i would first practice hamer ons and pull offs first then move to faster picking, with songs try a few of the metallica intros like master of puppets etc, that should give you a good grip on alternate picking if you wanna try it that way
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
NEVER!

Why?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
NEVER!

if u get a really good 1, hell teach u in 1 year what will take you like 3 years by yourself

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
NEVER!

thats like total bull****.. Having a teacher does makes it easier sometimes
Quote by Mattmakesmetal
NEVER!

That actually might be the one best advice you'll ever get from UG.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R