Page 1 of 2
I was watching back to the future, and you know where marty plays johnny b. goode? His beginning dialog goes like this:

"alright gang, blues riff on B, watch me for the changes, and try to keep up."
and proceeds from there.

HOWEVER.

I'm almost positive that marty and the band are playing around A SHARP.

He's lucky as hell the band caught his mistake, or that could've been a disaster, and rock & roll would've never been invented. Careless bastard.

Discuss.
1. A sharp is pretty darn close to B.
2. It's a movie.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
It's a half step off...it's not really that big a mistake to catch, and considerably easier than had it been...say, a full step down...
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.
You're right. But it's not a big deal since it was a movie. I like your sense of humor.

(And p.s. a semitone is the most dissonant interval, so it wouldn't have sounded too good.)
Tiger style.
Last edited by kevinm4435 at Aug 10, 2007,
Professional musicians would have caught the mistake. Besides, it's blues. Half the fun is making mistakes.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by gwitersnamps
1. A sharp is pretty darn close to B.
2. It's a movie.

1. Something that chromatic, would sound terrible.

2. Yeah, It is just a movie.
What if marty mcfly had a heart attack from how off the band was, and the guys from CSI miami were investigating?

Then horatio would say something like

"I guess johnny..." *puts on sunglasses* "...Isn't so good afterall."
YEAHHH!

...I'm sorry, I was reading that thread a little bit ago.
Who cares, he's Marty McFly
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by david_highland
1. Something that chromatic, would sound terrible.

2. Yeah, It is just a movie.

Yet it's close enough that some out of tune instruments (or, say, tuned to Eb like several jazz/blues music) fix the problem.

just a movie,just a movie,just a movie,just a movie,just a movie,just a movie
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by Stop Messin'
Who cares, he's Marty McFly

hell yeah +10
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by coffeeguy9
Back then most blues bands always played in Bb (A#) for horns. Just B became slang and it was understood to be in Bb. So...

^I'm gonna go with that explanation.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
psh, marty mcsuper fly > marty mcfly

HE INVENTED THE THEME TO SHAFT, at least I think it was shaft, lol.
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
Watch carefully...

The VERY LAST NOTE is a bend/release, right before he gets up and says "I guess you guys aren't ready for that just yet... children like it blah blah blah"... Anyways, as the bend fades/releases, you can clearly see his finger isn't even moving. Better yet, his fingers aren't even in any position! So who cares if its A#, B or whatever. He isn't even playing it to begin with.

But Back to the Future is epic, so don't attack it.
Quote by coffeeguy9
Back then most blues bands always played in Bb (A#) for horns. Just B became slang and it was understood to be in Bb. So...

yeah thats how it is in my jazz band too
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Quote by coffeeguy9

First of all, that's in the context of marty mcfly, who wasn't FROM that time, so he wouldn't have that information in the first place.

Second of all, that wasn't a blues band.

...Third of all, it's a movie.

fourth of all, ????????.

and Fifth of all, PROFIT!!! (You can calls me jebus, the resurrector of dead and buried memes.)
\i'm drunk.
Last edited by JulianBintner at Aug 10, 2007,
Quote by coffeeguy9

so...could you ever play in b then? because thats a pretty dumass way of shortening something, i mean, what lazy bastard cant be bothered to say flat?
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by Osiris77
Did he actually play the guitar?

ya. Michael J Fox played it in the studio first, and then performed it in front of the camera.

and to ppl that said A# is close to B, and if the whole band plays in B except Marty in A#, that would sound TERRIBLE. seriously. have u played A# and B right next to each other on a piano? it's just HORRIBLE.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by High_o
so...could you ever play in b then? because thats a pretty dumass way of shortening something, i mean, what lazy bastard cant be bothered to say flat?

Man, they're playing the Blues, they've got enough problems without having to worry about pleasing random forumers from the future.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by High_o

Jazz slang notoriously makes no sense at all.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by Kylster
Man, they're playing the Blues, they've got enough problems without having to worry about pleasing random forumers from the future.

Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by Zuka
Watch carefully...

The VERY LAST NOTE is a bend/release, right before he gets up and says "I guess you guys aren't ready for that just yet... children like it blah blah blah"... Anyways, as the bend fades/releases, you can clearly see his finger isn't even moving. Better yet, his fingers aren't even in any position! So who cares if its A#, B or whatever. He isn't even playing it to begin with.

But Back to the Future is epic, so don't attack it.

Somebody else recorded it. He just learned how to play guitar somewhat so he could "sync" with the music.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
It depends on if the song is originally in B. Andres Segovia did a famous transcription of Bach's 1st Cello prelude in D, but the original prelude is in G. On CD's of Segovia's version, it's still titled "BWV 1007 - Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude in G Major".
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
He should of played this Johnny B. Goode

Link

Hell no, this is the Johnny B. Goode he should've been listening to, straight out of '****ty, made for school project, too tired to stand up after eating pizza' heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgh2LJOkxI
Quote by Here_is_no_why
Other than that, they do no harm. Unless you play a seriously crappy game, you know, like Glover. He was a ****ing glove. Seriously.
I cried for days when i found out Michael J Fox didn't actually play it
Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by JulianBintner
I was watching back to the future, and you know where marty plays johnny b. goode? His beginning dialog goes like this:

"alright gang, blues riff on B, watch me for the changes, and try to keep up."
and proceeds from there.

HOWEVER.

I'm almost positive that marty and the band are playing around A SHARP.

He's lucky as hell the band caught his mistake, or that could've been a disaster, and rock & roll would've never been invented. Careless bastard.

Discuss.

That sir, is hilarious.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
That might be the funniest thing I've read on UG.

Anywho. It's a movie. But you are funny.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
A man who flies back in time in a Delorian, dates his future mother, gets accused of taking his father's wallet, AND saves the day can play in any key he wants, despite what he says he's playing in.
He says blues riff in B, and like someone already said, a band at that time would have known he meant Bb.
The song is definitely played in Bb, both in the original and the BTTF version.

And to TS, A# is enharmonically the same as Bb, so yes, your listening observation was right.
Quote by millerdrr
you caught me making a mistake on extremely basic theory, WHILE making a mistake regarding corporate philosophy. you earned the bag, and you single-handedly force me to retract all of my "Canada Blows" propaganda. you>me
Page 1 of 2