hi,

im looking for my first bass. im a guitarist, and got hooked by the sound of basses.

ive been looking at this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

and ive heard its really good for a squier. is this ok for metal stuff, and is it upgradable, like pups and stuff? will the soft maple body be ok for metal?

EDIT: will badass 2 fit on it?
Last edited by pnoy_sk8er21 at Aug 10, 2007,
I personally would spend the extra cash on a MIM. The woods are better on it, and its fully upgradable, including BAII. Though Jazz Basses aren't the typical metal bass, you should do fine. However, if a MIM is too much, look at Ibanez and ESP. They make basses for the purpose of metal.
my MiA Fender is awsome for metal dont diss the fender metal millitia

the bassist to god forbid use modifyed jazz bass and the bassist to Strappinf Younge Lad uses i Fender Custom shop jazz bass5 that is like the Warwick corvette$$ only on a fender with 3 band EQ instead of the coil taps (okay not evrything is the same but it reminds me of the corvettw$$)

alot of local metal bands around here too use jazz basses and thier tone is good

the vintage modifyed jazz is a great Squire it's "almost there" compared to MiMs i just wish fender had more block inlay basses because i want some!!!

you should look for a used MiM they last a long time and will sill last you a lifetime even if it is used. plus the price is about the same
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Aug 11, 2007,
Quote by IndianRockStar
I personally would spend the extra cash on a MIM. The woods are better on it, and its fully upgradable, including BAII. Though Jazz Basses aren't the typical metal bass, you should do fine. However, if a MIM is too much, look at Ibanez and ESP. They make basses for the purpose of metal.

i disagree. these new squiers sound just as good, if not better than most MIM fender j's. for a first bass, these things are killer. i know a bass player who has been playing 30+ years that swears by these things.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT