So if I wanted to make a harmonic sound, I flatten the 3? So, 1,2,3b,4,5,6,7
Ok, this does not make sense because if I use E Minor - E, F#/Gb,G,A,B,C,D
It would not sound right if I flatten the third, please clear up? Thanks!
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
to make a minor scale a harmonic minor scale you sharp the 7. So it is E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by JDubG
So if I wanted to make a harmonic sound, I flatten the 3? So, 1,2,3b,4,5,6,7
Ok, this does not make sense because if I use E Minor - E, F#/Gb,G,A,B,C,D
It would not sound right if I flatten the third, please clear up? Thanks!

Well, first off, its an F# instead of a Gb. Secondly, the harmonic Minor formula is: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7.

To the main question. The way to apply the formula is to grab the major scale, and apply the formula to the major scale, creating the new scale you want. For example:

You want E harmonic minor right? Heres E major:

E F# G# A B C# D#

apply the harmonic minor formula (1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7) to the scale, creating this:

E F# G A B C D#.

Right now, I assumed you were asking for harmonic minor (you could mean harmonic major too) when you said "harmonic sound." I hope that helps, and I hope thats what you need.

DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Yeah, thank you very much! Now I understand it.
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey
You can make a minor scale the harmonic minor scale by raising the seventh, like RPotts said. So, let's use E minor. E F# G A B C D. Let's raise the seventh, D. E F# G A B C D#. There we have it, E harmonic minor.

Usually when the numbers are used - like you gave an example of 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7 - it is compared to the major scale. So if someone saw 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7, they'd probably think that you were talking about taking a major scale and flattening the third (which would technically give you the melodic minor scale).