hey there,
I noticed that in every guitar video i've seen people strum with their hand in a fist so im wondering if it made a difference whether you have your strumming hand in a fist or if you just sort of hold the pick with your thumb and pointer and then have your middle, ring and pinky fingers extended forward? (hope you get what i mean)

thanks.
having a fist usually makes you able to pla faster, IMO.
Big sig is a nono.
theres really no wrong way to hold a pick, whatever's most comfortable for you is the best way. i do the same, just thumb and index to hold it.
alright cool. well, one thing for me atleast i notice is that when i strum with a fist im usually more accurate at hitting the strings. i can't make up my mind though and i just keep switching back and forth between the two.
doesnt really matter man, whatever you feel comfortable with, dont just change your technique cause you see other people do it in a certain way which opposses YOUR technique. For example, compare Steve Vai's speed picking and michael angelo batio's speed picking, that should say a lot :P
The reason you see people using what looks like a fist, is because your hand naturaly like to be that way.

You can tell just by holding your hand up and letting it do its own thing. You will most likely be in a loose comfortable, I'll say again, LOOSE comfortable fist. But really just put your pick in your hand and relax and see how your hand moves on its own with out any help from you.

It might not seem like a big deal but in the process of learning to play in a very relaxed state these things add up. And practicing relaxed will lead to playing relaxed, which is something people strive for, and it = awesomeness.
epic7734
Quote by epic7734
The reason you see people using what looks like a fist, is because your hand naturaly like to be that way.

You can tell just by holding your hand up and letting it do its own thing. You will most likely be in a loose comfortable, I'll say again, LOOSE comfortable fist. But really just put your pick in your hand and relax and see how your hand moves on its own with out any help from you.

It might not seem like a big deal but in the process of learning to play in a very relaxed state these things add up. And practicing relaxed will lead to playing relaxed, which is something people strive for, and it = awesomeness.

+1
I pick with my thumb and index finger too, except when I'm strumming chords i find it more comfortable to have my hand in a loose fist. So whatever's comfortable for the situation I guess.
Gear
Epiphone SG Special
Epiphone Vault Standard Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
DV-2 Marshall Guv'nor Plus
I strum with an open fist, I find having it closed makes it awkward for me.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I strum and pick with my hand 100% relaxed, so it's about half-open so to speak. I do it this way so I can both palm-mute really easily and use my pinky, ring, and middle fingers to mute high strings when they ring out unintentionally.

Though I hear you're supposed to use your fretting hand for that.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
thanks for the advice so far. I noticed that my hand likes to be in a loose fist too but when i strum my the outsides of my fingers where they bend tend to hit the strings unintentionally which causes my fingers to wanna stretch out and avoid hitting the strings...dunno if anyone else has had this problem before.